Discussion Chapter Titles in TOC

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by WeaselLord, Nov 20, 2017.

?

Do You Prefer To Have Chapter Titles in the Table Of Contents

Poll closed Dec 10, 2017.
  1. Yes, and I agree with the raped by a horse thing

18.3%
  2. yes

42.3%
  3. no, fuck you and your spoiler titles

5.6%
  4. no

1.4%
  5. Why can't they just have two TOCs, one with chapter titles and one without?

11.3%
  6. I DONT GIVE A FUCK

7.0%
  7. I don't care as long as the TOC is up to date

14.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tianshen

Tianshen Ex-Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    And this is one of my favourite feature on Q and G site (yeah burn me). Seriously though like someone above said why would you want to visit toc if you don't want to get spoiled just use next chapter button.

2. ninish

ninish ✿Fujoshi✿ [#224~] [Dʀᴀɢᴏɴɪsᴛ] [Lᴜʀᴋᴇʀ Lᴇᴇᴄʜ]

Reading List:
    Link
    In Dragon Life's raw, the chapters don't have numbers, just titles xD and several of them are spoilers.

In the ToC I decided to go with just numbers. Sorry for the people with bad memory, but really, those titles...

3. MahotsukiKonran

MahotsukiKonran √¶∆℅¥×¶÷π√ ™°℅{^¢¡¿∆ \\£¥^√π¥℅¶∆÷√ ©¢¥®<®]¡¶∆¿

Reading List:
    Link
    I rarely have problems finding what chapters I have read because I usually make sure to update it on the list for novel updates page but chapter title would make it easier if you wanted to go back and re-read a chapter to reconfirm something later in the story.

4. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    YOU DARE NOT GIVE MY CURIOSITY FOR CONTENT FACE?!?! I like it the way some sites give titles but then omit the more spoilery ones. Like on WW where even on top of the page it'll say [spoiler, see bottom of chapter] or When they blur it until you click. Most stuff, for instance Martial World isn't all that unexpected spoilery because of cliffhangers to begin with.
    Depending on the story this could be different.
    (p.s., the horse is on its way)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    ninish likes this.
  5. rook14

rook14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Title ruins it! When you see it, you can already guess what will happen and whats the point of reading?!

I've read some comments about chapter title needed to track where he/she was reading last?? Simple, "BOOKMARK".
    Bookmark where you are.New chapter, Chapter 1110? Bookmark chapter 1110 and delete chapter 1109 you bookmarked.

6. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    on the other hand having titles in the toc can suck aswell, like if you need to go to nu for a chapter, or you stop reading and then wanna pick it up on nu, and you have no idea which title match which number on nu

7. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    There are people that like to be spoiled cause reasons or don't mind being spoiled, then they want chapter titles to remember clearly which chapter was it when they looked back, or want to look forward to a chapter cause reasons.
    Then there are those that hate being spoiled cause reasons, so they just want chapter title in TOC cause then they can be surprised or something when reading the actual chapters.
    I'm someone that don't mind being spoiled, cause that's easier to find a chapter in TOC, and you can only deal with it.:blobexpressionless:

8. Fosk91

Fosk91 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, i don't like having a chapter title as i read, let alone in the TOC. Though i wouldn't really mind if they were hidden by a spoiler tag or if there were two versions of it.
    As side note, why don't you just use the reading lists of nuf to keep track of the last chapters you read? You can even create separate lists based on your needs

9. RPGX

RPGX Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it would be three eyes, Odin lost one already. :D
    36. Gestumblindi said:

"Who are the twain
    that on ten feet run?
    three eyes they have,
    but only one tail.
    Alright guess now
    this riddle, Heithrek!"
    Heithrek said:

"Good is thy riddle, Gestumblindi,
    and guessed it is:
    that is Odin riding on Sleipnir."
    (wikipedia Sleipnir)

10. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a difference between 100 chapters of heavenly tribulation and (1), (2), (3), lightning strikes (1) etc. and the titles for a detective novel for instance 'THE CULPRIT IS THE BUTLER!' then again, this is also part of the way the author intended his novel to be read. If the writer uses it, the translator should just be true to that work.

Don't forget the one-eyed trouser snake! :blobpeek:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
    readerz likes this.
  11. ninish

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm: I'll try that. I guess I can list the spoilery ones in white.

12. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    Not all novels have a next chapter button *cough* world of cultivation *cough* and if you remember anything about the title or the contents a simple google search can often help you (I'm not saying we shouldn't have titles in TOC, IDC as long as it's up to date, just stating facts)

13. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a variety of possibilities for specific titles where you're like eh that's too much info, the white might work unless they read on a dark background. The partially ero novel with the two mothers that are son-cons does numbers but adds (NSFW) to certain numbers (as this relates to his specific audience and is used as a guide).
    You could do 'book 1' , 'arc' division whatever really. I'm not sure what you're translating? Judging by the 'Fujoshi' you could use NSFW tags as a reminder on chapters for research too :blobpeek:

To be honest this should just be a server-wide setting for these groups, where you enter the titles and the user can go to profile and choose title omission or whatever.

14. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless the chapter titles are spoilers like "Defeating the one eyed red snake", trying to recall where you were by the title isn't helpful. And if you can't make a educated guess where you stopped reading by just checking a few chapters at random it means you don't remember anything about the story and should just reread it.

15. SleepyFox

SleepyFox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why is this even here? Go put it in the suggestions forum.

16. WeaselLord

WeaselLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well, some people don't really feel like rereading 1000+ chapters when they could reread 3 and then remember everything.
    a lot of people are like me and read absolutely massive amounts and so lots of names and events between books blend together so they need something to remind them which things happened in which story.

TO THE BOOKMARK PEOPLE
    I said it in the other post too, I DONT FKING USE BOOKMARKS
    I am the supreme lord of the lazy, I dont want to go through all the work of using bookmarks when Im already not in the habit, and I am likely to forget about the bookmarks or forget to make them in the first place.
    In addition to that, I just read too many things, so if I used a bookmark for each one, I wouldn't be able to find any of them.

Also, if any translators are reading this, you should note that the TOC DOES AFFECT whether people will read the novel (or continue reading it).

OK I made a seperate post that contains a poll, here it is

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
  17. ninish

Reading List:
    Link
    That last thing is impossible when having a free website xD the thing about dark/light theme is the same, so I only have a standard background in one color. ╮(╯▽╰)╭

elengee likes this.
  18. sweed

sweed l.o.v.e.m.u.f.f.i.n.

Reading List:
    Link
    Go complain to them right now and demand a next chapter button! Then tell me the chapter for Undefeated God of War somewhere 350-500: Crane was becoming stronger beating some bad ass , little xuxu was meditating and had some enlightenment while Tang Tian was beating up someone else and iirc they reunited with TT friends from his planet in the last 20 chapters.
    Uhhhh, I guess there was a one-eyed snake hiding somewhere on the horse , now it fits, right? :blobxd:

19. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    Since I don't read it, all you just wrote was basically nonsense to me and you basically picked the worst words ever to look for anything.
    All you said was some dude was fighting and some other dude was progressing in his cultivation. You literally don't even remember enough to ask someone who's currently reading that very same chapter about what chapter it is.

20. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. The author put the title in and as a translator, you should just translate and not arbitrarily decide to censor the author because you don't like it.

elengee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.