Discussion Character development in a novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Nyann, Apr 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey everyone! There are many good novels that we indeed get into. Or I would say plot wise. But imo some novels, in the process of plot development do not have much character development. Well... Even if I read only BL but within itself lies various such examples.

Say Earth is online. The plot is fantastic imo, but somehow I couldn't relate much with the characters. I couldn't put myself in their shoes and think from their perspective. Probably because the MC doesn't seem to show much emotions... Is rather cold.

But for my first novel Mo Dao Zu Shi I got so involved with the characters that... Lol. We even created clones and did an rp out of it. Each character was unique and stood out in it's own way. Even if some were OP their emotions were legit human. Well it's not as if the plot was poorly developed either. Each string had two ends to connect with. (Well that's if you don't drop it mid way)

So.... Do you prefer well developed characters or no? Also this is a pretty serious thread, so no NSFW comments, no hate comments and no hijacking. But feel free to talk about your favorite characters and their personality as well :blobpopcorn:

Japorea, Moonpearl, nachte and 2 others like this.
  2. in_awe

in_awe [Daisy's Pet][Tilgar's Master][Evil Chaotic Fluff]

Reading List:
    Link
    I started getting into yandere types and because I'm sadistic: FOD and Heroic Death System

Nyann likes this.
  3. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    Yandere types? In FOD there are quite a lot of yanderes let us be more specific~

Also there are different kinds of yanderes.
    Wei wuxian is yandere for his family and honour. Wen RuoHan is a genuine bastard with no purpose in life except to gain power and kill anyone in the way. Xue Yang seems to perfectly fit the "yandere" description however it's not specified if he loves anything or anyone in particular. Nie Huaisang and Jin Guanshan are yandere as well. But they aren't violent. But it's their mind which is sharper than their blades~
    Lan Wangji is yandere as well... For his romantic love Wei Ying.

So I am talking about what is your favorite kind of yandere out of these?

in_awe likes this.
  4. in_awe

in_awe [Daisy's Pet][Tilgar's Master][Evil Chaotic Fluff]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah~ a true BL lover. I admire you.

5. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    Not just that.... Like I said I got immersed in the characters of Mo dao zu shi. I can more or less act all of them out~

in_awe likes this.
  6. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    I like characters that have strong personality, with goals to achieve and doesn't get sway by others easily. That's my favorite type of MC.

Bad Storm and Nyann like this.
  7. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    Cypress likes this.
  8. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Character development is when A becomes A+.

nachte and Nyann like this.
  9. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You guys need to temper your expectations.
    These novels are equivalent to fast-food.
    Expecting an high class meal at a fast-food restaurant is pretty ridiculous.
    Good amateur novels like Girl Who Ate The Death god are the exception rather than the norm.
    The rather audience expects wish fulfilment.
    The authors are usually amateurs, you are asking for too much.
    You are barking up the wrong tree.

You cannot win the lottery with every ticket.
    Peace!

LtBeefy likes this.
  10. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, it depends for me. Though character development is fun to watch such as how Grid changed in overgeared, steadfast characters like Weed from LMS can be fun, too.

A character doesn't need to be real or relatable, it's just a tool to make the story go forward and like any tool, if one doesn't know how to use it well, the end product won't be good enough.

In EO, while the protags are cold and rational, the major point of the story was its plot and games so I don't really mind.

SummerForest and Nyann like this.
  11. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To me, in order to make a memorable character, I need to see characters make mistakes. I need to see them learn from them, and grow and do better. Maybe they might not do it perfectly, but they're damn well trying. That is what makes me fall in love with characters, and some of my favorite characters display some of the most amazing character growth. I live and die by them. A couple of my favorite characters of all time, though not from novels: Luke fon Fabre from Tales of the Abyss and Yotsuba Tamaki from Idolish7. They will continue to stick with me for a long time.

12. Hasr11

Hasr11 [Cat] [Fujoshi] [JP TL in Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...character development is an essential criteria for me to read any novel.

But I gotta disagree with you about Earth is Online. Tang Mo does show a lot of development character-wise. You gotta be perceptive enough to understand it.

Just compare Lan Wangji with Tang Mo. Both of them are taciturn characters. Lan Wangji’s conflicts are mostly subtly represented by his actions.
    Tang mo shows development both in the ways he strategises and the way he copes with his loss.

Moonpearl and Nyann like this.
  13. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone in particular in your mind? What about the one from your favorite novel?
    Describe~

I hope it isn't about when a normal mc becomes OP? I think even non op characters can have strong personalities.

In the said novel, there is a little girl named A-Qing. And she is pretty much darling of the fandom. She is a poor wanderer, kleptomaniac(ish), pretends to be blind because of her white irises, walks with a bamboo pole as a prop for her rp, is whiny and bitchy yet has a big role she plays in the story...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Moonpearl and Fulminata like this.
  14. Cypress

Cypress Eh, what's "outside"? /sinks into bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Same here lol the rp help out a lot with that too.
    I do think character development is very important. Without it, even with a fantastic plot, the story will feel bland to me. Getting in touch with the characters to the point were you actually feel their hardships or happiness is a must for me. I tend to lose interest when I can't connect with the characters on a personal level. I must feel like I'm right there experiencing every emotion and that can only be done if they have depth. They must have a balance however, they can't be too op, they must have their flaws and faults. Realistic and complex.

SummerForest likes this.
  15. Hasr11

Hasr11 [Cat] [Fujoshi] [JP TL in Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    I might be partial, because Yi City arc is my favourite. But yeah, A-Qing is a great example of a well-fleshed out side character. She might be whiny, stupid and altogether hateable at first, but she grows on you. So much that I, who am well-known not to cry for stories, was teary-eyed at her death.

But even she isn’t the most well developed character I have read. For me, that would be Kitagawa from Hako no Naka. Because it is really a feat of literature to make you feel sympathy for a guilty murderer, even find him a bit childlike and innocent.

Fulminata and SummerForest like this.
  16. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    This is what happens when you eat a food so good that you refuse to taste fast food.

Anyways I am not starting a fight against the author here . I am talking about character development even at the stake of plot.

I indeed havent yet completed reading it. I am on going. But your explanation just makes me look forward to more character development as well.

Wujigege and Hasr11 like this.
  17. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't mention at all it's about power.

18. SummerForest

SummerForest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you talking about WN and LN only? Then I'll say that the most interesting thing here is the plot. If you get some well developed characters that's a bonus. But it's better not to expect anything more than a good story.
    Currently I'm reading novels like Release That Witch and The Dark King and I'm reading them just for the good story. The MC in both are know-all and I don't hope for much chara development.
    There's also authors like Jiu Lu Feng Xiang and our fav MXTX who build their charas with much care. Their novels are more chara-centric and are pretty good reads.

Wujigege and Hasr11 like this.
  19. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    And lol that "stringing" part was a typo. I meant "strong"
    Mm.... Agree

SummerForest likes this.
  20. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer reading novels with characters that feel alive to novels with bland characters

Moonpearl and Wujigege like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.