Discussion Characters that hide their achievements...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Tobi, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tobi

Tobi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been on a re-read binge this past 2 weeks or so and I noticed something that I really don't like.

-Characters that hide their achievements-
    I can't stomach these kinds of stories where the MC just hides his credits and the things he have done all of the times. It's aggravating! So ridiculous!

I can understand hiding their abilities and credits to back away and not attract attention from the public or the enemy, but it's so annoying! I know it's unreasonable since the MC have to be low-key and all, but I still can't stand it.

-Characters that give all of the credits to other people-
    Okay this one is the most table hitting inducing thing I've ever read!

I can sorta understand the -Characters that hide their achievements- But this one I can't understand. If you're giving credits to a person, you have to look at what they can do...Can't really just smack a [This person killed a god!] or [This person is the owner of this multi-billion company!] In the public's face just to hide the abilities that you have. What if the person you're giving the credits to are incompetent and can't do the stuff that you credit them to do? People will depend on the person that you've given credit to ffs.

SIGH
    I probably just want to bask in the MC actually gaining the credits since the way that I read novels is by imagining myself as the MC. Yeah, sorry for ranting, just wanted to get this out of my system.

You can discuss things below there if you want. I'm just gonna try to head off to bed or read some novels, who knows *shrugs*

hammer, Eques, Yerocia and 5 others like this.
  2. kingreal92

kingreal92 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. I hate it so freaking much

otaku31 likes this.
  3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people just don't care about achievement and credit. They are great people who have given up on this mortal world and taken up the Dao of Procrastination

asriu and TheNewGuy like this.
  4. kingreal92

kingreal92 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the main reason I dro a lot of stories

Zeraphin likes this.
  5. tirirism

tirirism He who dealt it

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup and nope? I like that trope when it's actually well done. I don't like that trope because it's far too common and rather than being a fun, well written thing that makes sense, it's nowadays generally used by incompetent writers to just add words. And create forced drama, of course.

TheNewGuy and Nimroth like this.
  6. Nino Sasou

Nino Sasou 『 ******** 』『 On Paid Leave』

Reading List:
    Link
    Plot device?
    In risou no himo seikatsu, mc being low key because if he made achievements, the anti queen faction will push him to be a king (the queen is his wife)
    In sendai yuusha, mc is former hero that summoned again (as innocent bystander) and abstain from adventure with hero's party (even though mc did something great behind) due to personal issue and mental state
    in main character hide his strength due to corrupt former companions who put the blame on him

TheNewGuy, Zomula, Zeraphin and 2 others like this.
  7. Tobi

Tobi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is what I sorta understand, hiding your achievements for the sake of your life or the people around you. Or just don't really want attention.

But the second case of -Characters that give all of the credits to other people- Is just straight up pissing me off.

Oh how I want my other novel-self to be basked in infinite glory!

8. Nino Sasou

Nino Sasou 『 ******** 』『 On Paid Leave』

Reading List:
    Link
    Depend on circumstances. Some trade achievement for their safety, giving face to earn a favor/aid later or anything else.

TheNewGuy and QilinHorns like this.
  9. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and here I am just doing these kind of thing irl :blobpopcorn_cool: nothing big

AliceShiki likes this.
  10. OddJobs

OddJobs Daoist Spendrift

Reading List:
    Link
    It's nice if they hide their achievements then use it to face-slap their enemies.

11. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes it can be ridiculous but I can understand it to a point. I mean I’m a person who doesn’t like a lot of attention on me. So if it was me I might be like that in some ways.

Though I do hate it when the mc goes to so much effort to hide. Play it down when things happen and be modest when someone mentions it. That’s the kind of mc I would like~

AliceShiki and kingreal92 like this.
  12. Freezy

Freezy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, if you don't already read History's Strongest Senior Brother then you should, that guy is the complete antithesis of the douches you're describing. If he made an achievement damn right everyone is going to know, my favourite scene is when someone steals his credit for breaking a formation, not knowing that he totally recorded that moment as a memento. Face-slapping ensued.

13. hanglekuk

hanglekuk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    some of the achievements come with compulsory target painted on the back. It is makes sense to be low profile if one does not have backing to retain them or resist to enslaving / expropriation.

14. Echoes

Echoes 【Wandering Monk】

Reading List:
    Link
    Sooo, are you an attention seeker?

15. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    In Chinese and Korean stories the established forces love picking on new rising stars, so it makes sense to hide your achievements because you'll get squashed if you don't have support or enough strength.

I think Japanese culture makes it hard to say "no" when someone makes a request, so Japanese protagonists typically hide their achievements to avoid being relied on, but I'm not sure about this.

AliceShiki likes this.
  16. Tobi

Tobi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really, I'm a pretty straightforward loner.
    I don't have friends to gain attention from and my family is chill.

I just dislike people wasting away the recognition they deserve.
    Or even giving away the credits to another person that really didn't do anything.

17. Megiddo

Megiddo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally agree with you..if I do anything cool , I will totally boast it to my friends..

18. slay_mithos

slay_mithos Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't particularly hate hiding their accomplishments itself, but usually it's not used properly and they expose themselves left right and center anyway by acting without thinking all the time.
    As a result it's more the poor writing that bothers me than the hiding part I guess.

In dungeon defense, for example, I found that the whole "giving credits to others" is written in a way that makes sense, and there is a whole layer of scheming to push all of it on others.
    Because it is made a central part of the novel and not your usual "I go god mode and then I try to hide it just because it sounds cooler that way" it works and you are left wondering how the main character will not only get out of a difficult situation but also how he will twist the world into thinking his current achievements are someone else's.
    And it's not like he is gifting that to semi-random people that are conveniently passing by either.

Outside of this, the only time where I am fine with it is when it is done for comedy value (a running joke on a weak but boastful character).

19. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
    i like to be hidden op noones knows im op until they mess with me

20. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    it normal ~
    irl some people just don't care or circumstance force them to do that
    on fiction just problem on execution in da story