Cheers for Qidian?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Atros, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So uh, let's be honest as a community here. We are not welcoming to official entities. Yen press left us with a taste so sour that we simply didn't want to try it ever, ever again. Gravity tales fiasco? Oh it must be Qidian! Translators dropping novels? Must be Qidian! We shoot some serious flak their way; anything bad happens in the novel scene and must be big bad Qidian stompin' its stompin' boots!

But uh... I actually really like their site. I'd never read Library of Heaven's Path, nor 40 millenniums of cultivation. They're really good novels; even on this site they're highly rated, and being as high in the ranking with less than 100 chapters as they are shows I'm not alone on this. They took in a couple novels that the xianxiaworld fallout was going to leave behind, and didn't start them over, leaving us in a lurch waiting for them to catch up. They took in fan translators as official translators, and for the sites big enough to get a licensing deal of their own, sold the translation license instead of trying to kill sites and communities we all enjoy.

Anyway, I just made this post because they've actually done a really nice job of merging into the community instead of trying to kill and eat it. Feel like we should at least acknowledge that hey, uh, we were wrong. This whole "official entity" thing hasn't been a disaster. It's actually been a pretty positive experience.

So, as odd as it feels to say this... Thanks for doing a good job, Qidian. We're a pretty hostile audience to try to cater to, but the way you've done it has proven that you're a really good company for the readers. Really nice to see that hey, it's okay, our fan driven hobby can go big without tearing out everything we like about it.

Fang4, asriu, MadHatter and 13 others like this.
  2. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
    it's cause of the threat of non-free things and we are all poor bastards.

3. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    i hope Qidian will keep adding more harem novel :D

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  4. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    we are the internet community
    so we hate those officials
    sad but true

5. rakesh2206

rakesh2206 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How much did qidian pay u for this?? >.<

6. ElTorroLoco

ElTorroLoco [Christmas spiritbun][Left Hand of Sordahon]

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree.

7. FenixR

FenixR Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The silver lining is that instead of waiting for years/months for a book release with Japanese Light Novels, we get to stay with a somewhat similar daily/weekly release.

Not shunning all fanlators and starting from chapter one its a plus. The one thing i would like for them to have its a review system for translator, since they are hiring both professionals and not professionals alike, we as fans and readers should have a bit of a say on the quality of the translations.

The one other thing i didn't like them saying was going to be a bit of censorship if the novel requires it, i do not agree with it but i know its necessary by law in some countries.

The last point and personal opinion, its that i hope translators aren't forced to "westernize" the novels too heavily (How characters act, descriptions of things, how characters refers to other people, sayings, etc etc), sometimes they do it so bad the novel turns bad...

8. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe most of the guys here were and are scared due to paywall. They are are unsure of Qidan, cuz it may anytime put several well received novels behind paywall outing the users in a lurch, despite what they may be claiming. Qidan is supposed to be a business and not a Non Profit Organisation, so for profit sake they may actually put up a paywall ( although the chances are extremely low, I am sure the management is not stupid enough enough to do so)

DarkBlue likes this.
  9. S_Leonardo

S_Leonardo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    cheers?

10. Keima-kun

Keima-kun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering that there are people who donate consistently to the unofficial novel translators, i don't think it is a bad idea for them to support the official ones. I mean, at least we can show our appreciation to the authors and the publisher.

M3gasoul likes this.
  11. aarush

aarush Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't qidian need to pay him. Qidian are doing good job as compared other official companies.They still havn't made anything paid.So,there's no need to being agitated against them.

Atros likes this.
  12. henrywolf123

henrywolf123 『<(-.-<) kriby master』

Reading List:
    Link
    TBH for the most part I agree completely. the only conflict I have with qidian is choosing novelsaga over translation nation to translate TTNH, when the novelsaga tl hadn't read TTNH.

Atros likes this.
  13. Deleted member 36162

Deleted member 36162 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Kill All Qidian's believers .

14. valdesaga

valdesaga [IDN] [7thMay] [V]aldes

Reading List:
    Link
    Just make platform for author like Qidian, munpia, royalroad, etc

Make a contract / license

After that you can do anything you want. Because its yours

15. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not gonna lie, if there's one thing I look forward to... I want Xianxia merch dammit. I want to be able to buy Coiling Dragon posters, a bebe plushie, all that good stuff. I would fork out real-adult monies for this shit.

SummerX, ElTorroLoco and henrywolf123 like this.
  16. FenixR

FenixR Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope they get their shit together when they start releasing on Qidian 1.0 (Which i'm guessing its the reason why most of their novels have been in radio silence mode) , TTNH its too good of a novel to have a mediocre translator doing it a disservice.

17. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not gonna lie, they bought me the same way Ren bought most everyone. With chapters yo. I don't care about much else fuel my hobby and I will love you like family.

18. Rule71

Rule71 .....

Reading List:
    Link
    They have it in the current beta version of the site/app but it isn't up for everyone as need invitation code, so next month is the eta of when it is live 100%

Tbh if the paywall is of similar cost of chinese qidian i think ill be fine with it, as it wasn't really that costly, and i am speaking from india and so not as high a income compared to usa so most people should be fine with it as its cheap but yeah when they do do that, i expect around 75% of ren/cktalon level translation, cant expect 100% as they are on a different class

Agreed, novelsaga didn't even read the old translations and just took it up for getting the gold pot, fuck that

19. Opjohnaexe

Opjohnaexe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only thing I'd really want them to add is a proper payment system (if they want to go down that route, and by that I mean something different than Patreon, because while patreon is great for the individual novel, for multiple novels it gets to be a problem), and a way to vote on the quality of the translations, because some of them are kind of bad, and if it's just a matter of first come first served, then we might end up with terrible translations of good works and novels.

20. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I worry about that too. TTNH was really good. Hopefully Qidian rides novelsaga's ass and forces some quality on them. I can't really fault them for it too much until I see how the translation holds up, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.