Chill on the tags please

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Veri, May 4, 2018.

1. Veri

Veri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lately I've been misled a lot on this site because of tags that haven't been thought through well enough, especially the overpowered protagonist tag that happens to be used on novels where it really doesn't belong to.

Maybe it's just me, but i think that if it's said that the mc is overpowered, it should mean that the mc has no need to rise his power constantly to keep his and his family's life safe.

I think there's a own tag for those novels where the mc is slightly stronger than others in his age group. Like ''strong protagonist'' for example?

Also one example was ''A monster who levels up''. There was a tag for harem till the end of the novel and then it got removed because there wasn't any in the first place.

Again maybe it's just me, but i really love my op mc's and kinda fed up on being bamboozled :/

Sorry for the rant-ish thread, hope no one got offended :)

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    If you feel a tag or genre is being misused on some novel, you can remove them yourself.

For the case you're talking about the overpowered one, maybe the https://www.novelupdates.com/stag/strong-to-stronger/ fits? I don't think a character that constantly needs power ups should receive overpowered protagonist either btw.

In any case, if you feel like there is any issue with the tags on a novel, and isn't sure on how to handle it, please feel free to bring it up on the Cleaning Up Tags on NU thread, some mods pay close attention to the thread and will try solving the issue. (or clarifying why it isn't an issue in case it isn't one.)

asriu, Blitz, runsing and 1 other person like this.
  3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Or harem seeking lead when he's just flirtatious until he dates one girl and is monogamous, pushing all other girls aside. People need to lern2tag.

4. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, you're good. I can understand where you are coming from. But in my case, as someone who doesn't even really use tags, I don't notice these kinds of slip ups. So while I can't really add my input, I agree that we need a little bit more scrutiny when it comes to tagging things. I almost thought you were going to discuss threads with too many tags or something, but meh.

*And as for Monster that Levels Up, I hate that thing and wish I could bleach it from my brain. What a waste of my time.*

5. KidBuu

KidBuu Embrace Darkness

Reading List:
    Link
    Never believe the harem tag unless you see a polygamy tag as well especially if it is a JP or KR novel. I don't know what it is with there stories but it seems the harem novels are either a beta mc who never makes a move on any of the girls or the mc has many girls but he can't decide on any of them until the end and thens its only her.

6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    You just spelled what is the definition of the harem genre.

By no means a harem story needs the MC to actually end up with multiple significant others, they just need to have multiple love interests.

7. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Tags can be edited by anyone so expect to find things you might not agree with. Add/remove tags if you feel the need to. Though then we might get a thread from someone else complaining bout the same thing haha~

8. KidBuu

KidBuu Embrace Darkness

Reading List:
    Link
    Look up the actually definition of a harem. Well at least the original definition since the anime/manga genres have changed it.

9. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    harem genre, not harem.

Seraphic, runsing and AliceShiki like this.
  10. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    As you wish. From the Genre Explanation:
    It is as vague as that.
    What Oliver said, harem genre and RL harem are completely different things.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  11. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Has anyone seen the description for the "Monsters" tag? https://www.novelupdates.com/stag/monsters/

Btw, I was gonna make a post about it the other day, but you can't actually copy the text description from the tags so it's a real POS to deal with and I didn't feel like slowly copy-write it word by word...

But basically it says this: "The tag should ONLY be used if the protagonist is a Monster. It can also be used if the existence of Monster(s) has a big impact on the story." :facepalm:

It should obviously be changed into two separate tags if you ask me, one for where the MC is a monster and another for when there's lots of monsters as enemies or whatever. There's such an obvious difference, that as it is the tag doesn't really say anything...

Otherwise, if the tag would have too much overlap with non-human mc tag, then just scrap the first part of it, so tags can actually do what they're supposed to.
    The problem is that there isn't actually any harem tag, and the harem genre is used for both.

Because it doesn't really tell the reader what kind it is, it loses some of the value of even being there in the first place.

12. Chronos Bee

Chronos Bee Descendant of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    The "harem" tag goes wayyyy back, animes like zero no tsukaima, infinite stratos, hayate no gotoku, they are all classified as "harem" , meaning a guy who is the object of adoration of many girls, not actual harem.
    So i personally dont have any problem with it, i just see if theres the "polygamy" tag or not, thats the tag determining mc has relationship with many girls, not harem tag.
    The harem tag just means there are many girls in mc close proximity who are in love with him.

13. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    ... I hadn't seen that one... We might just scrap it altogether, or at the very least rework the definition.

Coming to think of it, I think we were meant to go over monsters, beasts, magical beasts and other similar tags at some point... I guess we forgot.

Good reminder.

Astaroth likes this.
  14. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just ignore the first part if it annoys you mate. seperating the monster tag would be useless since there's already a non-human protag tag. just learn to actually use the tags. if theres a monster tag but no non-human protag tag, it means it's the second part that's used. if theres the monster tag AND non-human protag tag, it means it's the first and possibly the second part that's used.

the monster tag is there because just non-human protag is not specific enough, since it could mean anything from an animal to a robot or even an inamimate object

FAiri110 likes this.
  15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, he brought up a good point, that definition is seriously lacking, I just brought the issue with the mods, we'll see what to do with it.

At the very least, we'll rework the definition, or maybe remove the tag or merge it with others.

oliver likes this.
  16. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Valid point. I think the thing about protagonist being a monster is that generally, in such a case multiple other characters are also monsters.
    Then again, the definition is not clear. Hopefully, it will be corrected.

17. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    OP: I hate being bamboozled with opmc not actually being opmc

Replies: Harem in animu is not the same as harem irl

Me, an intellectual: tags are useless

18. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah in practice that's pretty much how it goes. The "ONLY" part puts quite a lot of emphasis on the first use though so I was disappointed when I clicked the tag to find more.

oliver likes this.
  19. KidBuu

KidBuu Embrace Darkness

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok i will step back on this for a story telling genre since it fits but I was talking about the actual harem's definition which was the term for the group of wives for muslim/middle eastern areas. You know because they can have more than one wife. For westerns it wouldn't be a harem but the main wife and the mistresses. For the east I'm guessing the main wife and then house or palace of concubines.

Personally I think that the tags should have a lock on them after a point or that the translator of the novel should be the main person to edit the tags. Just look at how many times A Monster Who Levels up harem tag has been added/removed. Or stories where a "goblin" tag was added in just because in one chapter the Mc was fighting goblins.

20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Locking are pretty rare occasions because the mods can't read all novels on the site, so it's hard for them to keep quality control over it.

There is a fair amount of people that stalk the edit logs though, if something unusual happens, they generally fix it.

There is no way to control who edits the tags of a novel because many translators don't use NU and most don't bother with dealing with the tags of the novels they translate, so it's not really feasible to do as you wish, even if it would be ideal.