Chinese are weird?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Aertas, Oct 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aertas

Aertas Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much every Chinese xianxia and other novels I have read have 90% people who have a stick up their a***s and have their noses so much in the air, that the only thing they see is the sky above them.

Every time there are people saying something like ''How could you do/say something like that to (the great, famous, most awesome) me, don't you know who I am?'' and (insert generic crowd of people mumbling along) ''Yea, don't you know this (the great, famous, most awesome) him, he's from x city, y family. The famous one!''

Insert the description of him getting his a*s kicked. ''I'll remember that!'' Goes and calls his brother/dad/grandfather/grand-grandfather/... who stand in line to get their a***s handed to them one by one.

It's become so ingrained with their novels that I'm seriously starting to wonder if the Chinese generally come by such situations in the real world so often that they make it a fact in their novels?

2. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    You're reading novels written by teenager authors. :blobconfused: Go read something like Lord of the Mysteries instead. :blobpeek:

3. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome to the era of chinese people who have no creativity and copy off each other but change a few pieces around. There not alot of good and well written chinese stories sadly.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  4. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You are simply suffering from a case of Culture Shock or Ipkissian Maskosis
    [​IMG]

5. BurgerKong

BurgerKong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese culture places an enormous amount of importance on "face," essentially showing and being shown appropriate respect for your status. They consider egalitarianism and mutual respect to be a stupid Western meme.

Tanhalevi, firefox1234, mir and 7 others like this.
  6. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone steps on MC's shadow
    MC: "YOU DARE!!!!"

7. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    Not so often, but it's definitely happening over there.

8. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Lacism.

Gin_Hindew likes this.
  9. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just look at the chinesse government, someone made fun of a politician in a yaoi novel and they got so salty they retaliated on all of the webnovel market, forcing many stories to end or be taken down

Or Blizzard games being banned because the hong kong protesters used an overwatch character as their mascot

Sometimes is not really about the insult but about the guys on top feeling as if they have to take a big measure to keep their status

There was also this case of a gymnastic/meditation/martial art called Falungong or something like that, the government accused them of dissidents so they could made a police force dedicated to stop them so they could receive more funds, thats xianxia levels of incrimination full with the "how you dare to fight back! this means i have to kill you!"

As for the people, yes, they are the kind of sheep that would stand from the side sucking up to the top dogs, when i started reading xianxia i assumed the chinesse people were made from tougher material than the japanesse with their beta MCs but reality proved otherwise

Ah, yes, remember the olympics?
    The chinesse had this little girl singer but they did playback with another girl because they wanted to save face as the original girl was uglier... they were like 8 years old...

This are all IRL examples so their fiction is not so weird in comparison

10. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's both partially true and massive exaggeration. If you wrote a boring book, no one will read it, so these "2nd generation rich sons" became the easy prey for drama and hype. Unfortunately, everyone followed the formula till it became a trope.

It's like superhero comics in the US. If you believed them, there is a bank robbery every day in the US that needs someone to fly in and save the day. True on the crime but massively exaggerated on the frequency.

11. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    I know of the Falangong movement, it's a .. cult. They believe in "freedom from the state", in short, that legal rules don't apply to them as spiritualists so the Chinese government sort of plotz when they heard that someone wants "independence" from them.

I really don't rate them highly as a reliable source, they publish the Epoch Times that runs a lot of conspiracy anti-China articles that don't go through a lot of fact checking. I kind of see the whole mess as "A Pox on Both Your Houses!!!". Neither of them are any good. Religious Fanatics vs Authoritarians

12. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then please enlighten me

The government captured those falungong guys and sen them to prison for life where they are beaten on a regular basis, what have those guys done?
    Terrorists attacks?
    Hostages?
    Assassination attempts?

13. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Rebellion, denial of authority of the government (no government tolerates this), rousing external countries to attack China either diplomatically or literally.

You might think "Oh all they do is talk, they are harmless", but the reality is that words can often cause more damage than outright attacks. They're religious fanatics, the only law they follow is their own. They have already demonstrated that truth is a variable commodity to further their aims. You ever read one of their Epoch Times papers? Nothing but propaganda.

What they are doing is setting up an alternate form of government rule, by "Mandate of Heaven" since they imply their legitimacy comes from spiritual enlightnment.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  14. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of yellow turban rebellion.

Nightow1 and Aertas like this.
  15. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read better books and you won't see this problem. In good books the overly arrogant characters tend to be either villains or at least antagonists.

16. BurgerKong

BurgerKong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They're a lot more macho and can't stomach herbivore men, but that doesn't mean much when you've had three generations with communist jackboots firmly on their throats.

17. Aertas

Aertas Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The books I am reading have them as villains or antagonists mostly, but it get's pretty boring as it constantly repeats over and over. I mean, can't they make a one decent villain/antagonist with a good backstory instead of a dozen generic villain from some big-shot family that are there only to easily get stomped on by the MC and show his/hers ''progress''.

Nightow1 likes this.
  18. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    So you say but I know of some very funny incidents where scammers try to scam the government. Think there was one video online that I saw where a man's family was claiming they killed him by "police brutality" and paraded his body around demanding compensation. Unfortunately for the scammer, they were doing it at noon under a hot sun so after a while, the "dead" body could not stand it any more and jumped up to grab some water.

That really doesn't sound like fear and being intimidated to me, more like them seeing their government as sheep to fleece. I also know one of the main reasons why some Asian countries hate Chinese is because they import these kinds of scams into their country. They'll grab a guy that looks rich and yell that he molested her and demand money or she'll report him to the "Chinese Embassy". Not the country's police but "China", which pisses a lot of people off because it makes it seem like they think China is ruling their country.

Aertas likes this.
  19. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Did that actually happen? I thought that that was just the goal of the protesters, I haven't heard anything about it actually working

20. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese are weird yeah as are pretty much all asians, but not coz of trashy generic web novels. There's some other actual IRL stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.