Question Chinese Author Rewrote First Arc of Story I'm Translating

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Creativity53, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Creativity53

Creativity53 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I am a translator. I just realized today that the Chinese author rewrote the entire first arc of the story that I'm translating. However, I have only translated about half of the original 1st arc. Should I retranslate the entire new 1st arc or continue with the old arc or should I translate both? For translators, has this ever happened to you before?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on how much of the story has been changed. I am not a TL, but as a reader, if the changes are significant and I am invested in the story, I would read again from the start. But if the changes are minor such that they could be considered to be just edits, I wouldn't bother.
    I am guessing that as a TL, you might want to consider slowly going back chapter by chapter to correct them.

3. Creativity53

Reading List:
    Link
    It's completely different. Actually, the Chinese author finished writing the story a couple months ago, but I think he/she went back to revise things. Originally, the author only made some minor changes so I told my readers and decided not to change it. However, today, the Chinese author completely changed the story. As a reader, would you be interested in reading both versions?

4. Deleted member 125960

Deleted member 125960 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with mister mango, a retranslation would be for the best. ^^ Good luck, I look forward to reading it! :blob_pompom:

Creativity53 likes this.
  5. Bellilelly

Bellilelly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Will u kill me if I say yes....(//∇//)

Creativity53 likes this.
  6. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest if you feel like doing double work, then you can finish translating the old version that you had already done halfway, but since the author has already scrapped the old idea, what you are doing is basically giving the readers another perspective of what the story might be.

For me as a casual reader, i don't care of any old versions and "compare and contrast", the latest version is always fine for me.

Creativity53 likes this.
  7. Creativity53

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course not, I'm actually leaning towards re-translating, but I also want to complete the old 1st arc (mostly because I invested a lot of time into it already).

8. Bellilelly

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you also think there’s a chance the author will go ahead and start changing the second arc too??? Since s/he started revising from the first arc surely/possibly/maybe will continue onto the second arc???? Especially if the revised first arc is totally different from the version u were translating?

9. Creativity53

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure, but even if he/she does, I probably won't get to it before he/she changes it. Also, I do understand why the author changed the first arc because it was a little cliche. I've scanned the new first chapter and it seems to be set up better and gives background about the MC.

10. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    as a reader id have to say I am curious and would like to read it, but since Im so far ahead in the story I don't think id go back to read it immediately I'd probably finish the novel and go back to read the first arc.

I never re-read a book I finished unless it was really good or the author changed the story so I need to reread that change portion.

Creativity53 likes this.
  11. Creativity53

Reading List:
    Link
    I did some digging around, so I have new information now. If the author does change the second arc, I think it should be minor changes. I found that the author already changed the first arc around March, but he/she posted it separately from the original novel at the start but they made revisions to the original novel around today. Since I don't see any other stories related to this story, I think there shouldn't be any more major changes.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    Bellilelly likes this.
  12. Bellilelly

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok :blobokhand:that’s a relief :blobmelt: let’s just hope this possibility is tru and u won’t have to go thro crisis of whether to wait for the author to completely “rewriting” the story and just yeet it :blob_grin:and start wondering whether u should translate both version lol :blobsweat_2:
    But good luck :blobfistbumpL:

Creativity53 likes this.