Discussion Chinese BL novel MLs

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by BanniNotBunny, Nov 3, 2021.

1. BanniNotBunny

BanniNotBunny Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have read many Chinese BL novels & I love them buf there is one thing which sometime annoys me alot.

Note : What I'm saying is true for many of them but not every novel.

The description of the MLs. (I'm talking about Seme MLs mainly)
    Like each of them is portrayed as an all rounder, good at everything person. Always so much mature. Never acting as per their age even in childhood. In the rebirth/ transmigration novels, even if the MC is 30 year old soul & the ML is still a kid but he would be still protrayed as more mature, scary, smart than that 30 year old MC. Even the 50-60years old experienced characters get scared by that kid and how everyone feels cold under their neck because of him.
    And in almost all of domineering ML type novels the friendship between the ML and his friends looks one sided to me. Like his friends ignores his ignorance about them by saying he cares but doesn't show etc etc(I know he helps them when in need but still?)

Am I the only one who thinks as such?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  2. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If done properly, kuudere may be the best dere. If done poorly, you have an asshole character whom you want to smack every time he opens his mouth.

Nyaa.23 and Iliveforcats like this.
  3. BanniNotBunny

Reading List:
    Link
    I have found many of such MLs good too. But I just don't understand the obsession with this same pattern even if they are good.

Nyaa.23 and Iliveforcats like this.
  4. Undying Winter

Undying Winter ❅ Avid Enjoyer of Trash ❅

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I agree. I wouldn't say I absolutely hate such types or anything because they can be quite endearing if done right (like Lan Zhan from MDZS and Wuhuan from MSTV) but they're often way too perfect, repetitive, & don't feel humane enough. I know there's indeed people out there with similar personalities and demeanour but once you've noticed that almost (emphasis on almost - I'm not putting them all in the same basket) every ML is more or less like a cookie cutter version of each other, it just stops feeling realistic. I've heard a lot about how chinese novels always have op MCs but I've rarely come across them in danmei novels, it's almost always the MLs who are super op in them tbh, and this type is not necessarily bad but I still don't get why it's so popular.

And the lack of genuine friendship is just sad... I've noticed that MXTX's MLs never have a bestie, they do often have a person they're on good terms with (like a subordinate or an older brother or someone who owe them money and does things for them in return *cough* He Xuan *cough*) but never actual friends. Like come on, please go outside, play with neighbourhood kids however weird they might be, and make friends already!!! I want to see them being clingy and annoying with their bffs so badly.

Fei Tian Ye Xiang's novels are great at this depicting realistic and deep friendships between characters though, I like that the most about his novels. I'm currently reading To Rule in a Turbulent World and both the MC and ML are social butterflies with not only great friends, but even 2 sworn brothers.

Nyaa.23, applebeans and BanniNotBunny like this.
  5. meliori

meliori [in a dark tunnel seeing light from afar]

Reading List:
    Link
    Instead of ML, I think you're describing "seme personality", although I also noticed the same thing with one uke ML I read, that's a rare case. And even with equally strong uke, it's really hard not to pick out that seme is the more mature more reliable one.

But this "roles" isn't that surprising, is it?

And about those "domineering MLs", most webnovels don't really focus on giving MLs some more personality except for being "domineering". Again, not surprising, they're like mass-produced characters serving for your rapid demands. Just pick one out give him a different setting different plot and there you have it. I don't really complain though, I read them everyday, they're entertaining enough. There would be ones where you can see that they're human with personality that left a deep impression on you even after a long time, but they're rare.

And not every novel can flesh out supporting characters properly so that they seem to not just be a considerate and loyal friend.

Preference probably? A deeply rooted impression and preference within the community about these roles.
    And of course the done well typical trope or cream of the crop novels that you think are best and you really really like would naturally be just few

BanniNotBunny likes this.
  6. BanniNotBunny

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, some of them are really good. But some are just ummm for the sake of it.
    I have noticed this friendship problem in many novels.
    Yeah, I have read To Rule in a Turbulent World. I really loved the couple dynamics. And I liked how both of them had good relationship with other people (side characters) as well, it was well portrayed in comparison to other novels.

Thanks for the correction. I wrote all these things while thinking about Seme MLs(/MCs).
    Yeah, I do like these "roles" too. Some of these ones are in my favorites too. But as you said they are rare.
    And yes only few novels have good side characters.
    There is this novel called 'Hope You’ve Been Well' where there isn't much role of the friends side characters and not much is written about them. But even though without writing much you can see the friendship is actually good between the ML and his friends, And not one sided effort at all.
    After reading this novel I realised this more that even with just giving a few lines to these characters you can change the whole dynamics between them and the MC/ML without giving them much role.
    But then not everyone can do that.

meliori likes this.
  7. applebeans

applebeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes this seme thing! I also read josei sometimes and I notice that their ML feel like actual person, he can be a dork, he can be silly, he trips over himself trying to look cool, he can also be total no good person who mooches off the FL. And that’s fine! People don’t like them less for that.

But in BL most of the time the gong always has to be socially, physically, intellectually stronger than the shou, but why? It’s way more interesting to break the trope!

The reason why LWJ/LZ works is because he wasn’t like that before but molded by his family’s expectations/circumstances.

I also really adore MC gong in Li Jin’s farming life because it gives us possible insight for gongs who seem to always know what they’re doing.

Li Jin’s actually just trying his best, he’s not invincible. By following his pov, we see some of the less glorious moments like when his master pranks him. He gets nervous and scared but he’s too used to making poker face so his emotions just do somersault inwardly.

I want to recommend some of the authors I recommend in the past in a equal relationship thread that challenge this dynamic:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  8. BanniNotBunny

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for these recommendations. I would try them.

applebeans likes this.
  9. purple_mangosteen

purple_mangosteen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I found that those MLs with cold face and domineering personality are usually in entertainment novels and they are always a president/CEO, so they're called domineering president type of character
    Or in interstellar novel as admiral/general

And nevermind about not having friends (the friends are more like subordinates)
    They also don't respect their parents and siblings

For all the C novel I ever read, BL or no, the best seme is in Accidental Mark, who is smart, mature and the most important thing: respect and support his partner choice. No emotional manipulation, or making decision on his own behalf

As for girl protagonist in gen/fantasy, a lot of them are so annoying with their arrogance. However not only they're arrogant but also with zero EQ, which is totally ridiculous since the author made them as rebirth characters as super spy, genius doctor, etc but they're more prone to emotional outburst than kindergarten kids

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  10. BanniNotBunny

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes
    For me as well the Seme of "The Accidental Mark" was the first one whom I encountered as an actual considerate partner.