Chinese glorification in CN novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by An Anime Addict, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    In many of the cn novels there's too much Chinese glorification and well it's a rant thread. It makes me wonder if Chinese authors are idiots or what!?
    Got this quote from some thread-
    P.S.- The quote is from @UsernameJ

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  2. Yunchii

Yunchii Best Waifu - Tamamo-no-Mae

Reading List:
    Link
    Well government brain washing project... all people in the world like that... DPRK said the same while the westerner brainwashed everyone else saying Democrate and Capitalist is the best way... someplace said absolute monarch is the way

3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There must be a wide market 4 such stuff in China. I figure they'd more likely be nationalistic not cuz of any personal radical patriotic beliefs but cuz it's what most of their Chinese readers prefer. And it prolly pleases the cadre, too. Authors being pragmatic money slaves, methinks.

And that quote is a deleted review from Emperor of The Cosmos(?)

4. Casshern080

Casshern080 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To do with profit most likely. And secondly for nationalism. Pretty sure stuff like that are regulated by the government to make sure there's no propaganda against them and their history.
    Maybe some of them glorify it cause of their personal belief.

An Anime Addict likes this.
  5. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well at the very least credit the creator of this great review, @UsernameJ:blobparty:

It's a mastapiece, 5/5
    The world may remove and censor his glorious review,
    but its greatness shall never be forgotten.

mir, Aoenstar, Blitz and 6 others like this.
  6. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Authors themselves would do it for the moniez but also so that they can keep writing and not disappear into whatever deep holes critics are thrown into. I dont doubt that a probably sizeable part of the chinese population actually thinks like that quote above, especially the rural backwoods folk who probably only know their area.

philosopher17 likes this.
  7. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    replace glory of china for "glory of god" and you pretty much get every fundamentalist religious group

either way the act of overuse of propraganda in the work might even be construed as criticism to the ideology, show the reader how the perfect china would work and let them feel the dread of what it would be

Writing an utopia is all fun and games until the author and reader realize it is a dystopia

mir and An Anime Addict like this.
  8. Si Kucing

Si Kucing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just the same thing at the other side of the seas...... jp novels also tend to glorify their culture as "the best" in the world or something along the line and in some novel, describe jp ppl as the kindest in the world which annoy me..... a lot..... tho i do think that in cn novels..... it's more like nationalism that growing closer to fanaticsm...... i just hoped it didn't enter chauvinism......

mir and TiggerBane like this.
  9. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    Just take it as FOX News written for teenagers ...

It's just the concept of Make China Great Again, or China First!

Add a tiny bit of censorship to it and a target audience of teenagers/young adults = what you got ...

mir likes this.
  10. TotallyNotAnAlien

TotallyNotAnAlien Not an alien!

Reading List:
    Link
    Not to defend them, but one should remember that most CN Novels were written by the Chinese, for the Chinese, without any thoughts of having them be translated and read by non-Chinese communities.

Same thing goes for JP and KR Novels, except that as the Chinese have a huge population, means that much more of such novels get out on the "market", so to say.

Also, aren't most of us having way too high expectations of web novels written by amateur authors? Of course, there are some great gems, but most of them are supposed to be just rocks.

mir, YoriMei, Sunspawn and 7 others like this.
  11. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why i love Reverend Insanity, the author has no love for such stuff, i even heard his novel got banned because of this

12. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    China: Don't do what we want? Well then you don't get access to our soon to be 1.5B people worth of business, or our cheap products!
    Everyone else: Oh no, sorry China, we apologize! Please don't take that potential market from us! We'll do whatever you say!

Once again proving corporations don't give a single shit about anything but money, no matter how many tweets they post of x month or y day in solidarity for whomever. China is playing the game harder than others are willing, so they can do whatever they want.

EDIT: I may or may not be having a huge jab at a certain popular meme :D

mir likes this.
  13. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TBH, most novels from anywhere are like this. Most people have some degree of nationalism, even here in the US. Hell we even go around saying America is the greatest country in the world, we may not express it in novels but if you think about it, when was the last time you read an American novel or watched an American movie and saw the US on its knees being bailed out? Never. Because the US is the greatest. Its not always such an overt or subvert type of thing but nationalism is pervasive in all forms of media.

As for the Chnese, they have an exceptional amount of pride in their country, their history and their culture. This leads to intolerance of any views opposing their beliefs. So dont take it to heart.

Side note: KR novels always seem to have a bit where its like: KR has all the power even though its a tiny country. Oh whats this? America needs our help? Lets go help them even though we only have 1 OP protag. etc etc. Its not the same type as Chinese nationalism but its still there.

mir, firefox1234, kenar and 3 others like this.
  14. ZachB

ZachB Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read some articles that said that authors are required to do that.
    I usually just skim those parts. I have acquired some kind of resistance in that kind of topic after reading so many CN novels. You would learn to ignore it gradually.

15. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this supposed to be bad or something? I mean, I expected it since many Asian countries rally the nation using patriotism and such. Its not like its special to the East. Is it bad when Asian countries do it? How about when the West does it? I dont get why apparent Western readers takes offense at patriotism in general. Sure, it has propaganda written all over it but it seems like its ok when West do it but if its Asian its bad.

Its not like its hard to drop such stories.

16. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that about Blizzard? Hard to get away from that news...

novaes likes this.
  17. cktulica

cktulica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you make it seems as if white people don't glorify white people. or americans don't glorify america.

GDLiZy likes this.
  18. TotallyNotAnAlien

TotallyNotAnAlien Not an alien!

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, it's not a bad thing. The issue most readers have is that most authors go overboard with the patriotism, but like I said earlier, they don't expect their work to be translated into English and be read by people all over the world.

And yes, the Westerners do it too, except that because English is pretty much an international language, all the patriotism is either toned down or they are not easily accessible to the average reader on the internet in the form of published books that readers have to pay for. After all, one of the reasons why we read the web novels is because they are free.

19. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "When Captain America throws his mighty shield!!!" lol.
    And according to Rambo, the US won the Vietnam War.

It's hardly limited to China.

kenar, GDLiZy and novaes like this.
  20. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the first time I hear authors who wrote patriotistic materials automatically make them idiots.

GDLiZy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.