News Chinese government cracking down on web novel sites

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Eishun, May 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really?

2. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which part are you unsure about? The jingoism in their history lessons or the screening of anti-American war films?

Regarding the history lessons, the teachers will keep harping on the evils of the Japanese and how the Chinese has always been bullied by outsiders etc.

The screening of the anti-American war films is their response to the Huawei ban.

philosopher17 likes this.
  3. ShioriStein

ShioriStein Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm if you putting into their shoe i doubt you all will do the same. What can you do to unite 1b5 people ? If not do that i think now it will be 5 China Region instead of one. IF you tell me who is the real dictator i will say USA. You vote for nothing when both party working for the same side, money and corporation side.

strayCat0 likes this.
  4. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, I meant to add more to that, I didn't realize I'd already pressed "post reply".

The part about the screening of anti-American films. Any details you can give me please.
    Are they just making them more available than usual, or are they actively encouraging people to watch them?

5. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All I know is that they are centered around the Korean war. I don't have any other details. I just happened to see that bit of info when I was searching Google for news about the Huawei ban. We use Huawei phones here too.

mir likes this.
  7. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it's "normal" when you look at the whole country and its "problem".
    The government is trying to re-educate all "believers", censoring everything that has to do with religion and mass murders, so that radical and religious people no longer find their inspiration for their idea.
    If we look at how big this project is (re-education of Muslims in the western part of China) or the replacement of the population in Tibet.
    We see how it's done, and before a book deals with one of those problems, they ban everything.
    From a strategic point of view, that's right, because they already have the power to do so. (And want a solution that would bring effect in this generation.)
    In "west" we use a slightly slower denunciation method. We're just picking up any scandal that can be put on the news, even if it's just a "representative" of this religion that's in the bad light and is supposed to be a big problem.

The public relations work of the government works when someone works against them.
    Not that I vouch for one of these methods
    but if I were in that position to deal with "it," I probably would not do otherwise.

mir likes this.
  8. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nothing weird about it

japan also taught their children a different version of ww2, where they didn't do everything that the world condemns them for. they were busted and it was reported on the news

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_history_textbook_controversies#New_History_Textbook
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...ve-history-erased-from-texts-93-apology-next/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Society_for_History_Textbook_Reform
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_anti-Japanese_demonstrations

anyway back to the topic, like i have mentioned on the issue of censorship of novels in china, i will say that i support the censorship but feel that the actions they are taking are too extreme.

this is because these novels are read by a huge amount of children and it needs to be censored. however perhaps an age restriction could be more appropriate instead of banning the entire thing

Wujigege likes this.
  9. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They might as well ban all novels at this point, honestly. Fuck is wrong with them.

10. pirateking36

pirateking36 [[-Worst King-]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Everything... That's why they come up with such bullshit all the the time

11. HarutoraRyu

HarutoraRyu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know they burned down buddhist temples but they are very protective about their arts and stuff. the book i am talking about was written in 1700's i think, it is about 3 kingdoms and it is filled with war, blood, rape and sex. this book is one of the "cultural treasure" dictated by chinese govt. And on top of this there are also many many old time books, fantasy and magic based that features lots of blood and gore and these books are protected by chinese cultural protection law or something. So i just don't understand why the recent ban....

12. HarutoraRyu

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you saying it is perfectly alright for america to make anti chinese films and tv shows but if china does it back to america it is racist?

13. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. I am not saying that at all. But you know, in recent years, exactly how many anti-Chinese films has Hollywood made?

Considering the extreme Politically Correct climate in the USA, any film-maker who makes a film that insults black or yellow or brown or whatever culture will be destroyed. Have you heard the term "chink" in recent TV shows or movies? Have you seen any recently-made movies that depict Chinese characters with exaggerated slanty eyes?

Sure the USA used to make racist films but they don't do that anymore.

Look, I am Chinese so I care about the image of Chinese people. So here's what I will tell you. We are no longer fighting the Korean War. But the recent screenings in China are focused on the Korean War when China supported the North and the USA supported the South.

Why bring up old history? Why make Chinese people look stupid?

You want anti-American films? Go make new ones that are in touch with current affairs! Make one that touches on the Huawei ban! Not old war movies about the Korean War.

But it seems that China has lost a lot of creative energy, what with the recent ban on web novels and other things... So I am not sure they can still create art anymore.

14. lailai

lailai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The lack of creativity in the plots... Do you think it has something to do with the censorship bureau? I find films in China very boring, whether arthouse or new director or famous director. Hence why I am not too fond of reading entertainment novels that say the MC/ML/whoever has amazing acting skills because the real life acting skills of Chinese actors (I'm talking the entire Sinosphere, so including HK/Taiwan) is just plain awful. The script is even worse than the acting skills.

I am wondering if the widespread terrible scripts is due to the need to pass the Censorship bureau.

15. HarutoraRyu

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't much watch movies but i do keep some tabs on tv shows, specially the crime dramas and almost all of them does at least one anti china episode per season. it is either some chinese spy killing some innocent scientist because the scientist don't want to give research paper to chinese. or some chinese spy betraying china for the sake of "freedom and justice"..etc etc....

And yes i do agree that what chinese govt. now doing is really really dumb, it is borderline autistic behavior..that is why i asked earlier : what the hell are they even doing?

16. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am so glad that I live in a non-communist country (U.S.).

17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And as a response, it's an awfully mild one. I'd expect much more serious responses designed to hit the pocket books of prominent American companies.

This has nothing to do with why we don't see anti-Chinese films any more. The real reason is economic: Hollywood's second biggest market is China, and any anti-Chinese film is guaranteed to be banned. This isn't a major issue for most films, but the real fear is that if China is angered enough by a film, they might ban an entire studio forever. And maybe any other entity associated with said offending film at that. No studio can afford to take that kind of risk so they'll do things like changing the villains in Red Dawn from China to North Korea.

strayCat0 likes this.
  18. Cloudseeker

Cloudseeker Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So what's the update on this? Are they banned or not, it's after May 28th is there any news or are CN novels still good to go?

19. Cloudseeker

Cloudseeker Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it like one of those 'we are better than them philosophy?'

20. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems more like a "they did something to hurt us so let's do something to hurt them."

strayCat0 and Cloudseeker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.