Discussion Chinese novel adaptation that can rival Japanese big three

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Fluffy Jellyfish, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello fellow nuffians..

I make this thread as a sudden question popped-up in my head.

"What Chinese novel adaptation that can rival Japanese long serialization popularity?"

We know that Japanese have some particular series that popularity is going high across the world. You maybe don't like that particular series, but the popularity can't be denied such as Naruto, Dragon Ball, Bleach, One Piece and the current new one like Attack on Titan and Boku no Hero Academia

They have similar elements in term of how they currently gain such high popularity, like they are adaptated from Manga and their target audience is mainly Shounen (Male Teens).
    I know that I actually can't compare novel adaptation to manga adaptation, but as we know that Chinese modern form of entertainment is mainly in the form of novel, I think this is a comparison that can be made.

There are many element of a story that make it interesting. In many of the popular Japanese serialization, the common theme is "Hot-blooded youth" and this is a common similar situation with how many Chinese novel portrait their character, but Chinese novel character is also mainly use the "calm and rational reincarnated person".

So for my own Chinese novel that I want to be adapted, I propose "Nightfall"

In this situation, I will give condition that this is an ambitious project by the Chinese to spread their form of entertainment to the world by making it into an anime.

Nightfall anime will consists of 4-5 season, with each season contains 24 episodes. I made it into this kind of form in consideration of how the story will be visualized and how the content will be fitted into the anime. Nightfall novel itself ended in 1088 chapters.

So, what your own favorite or read novels that you think can rival the Japanese one if they are made into an anime? given the condition that this is an ambitious project to spread their culture into the world. As a comparison, The King Avatars in my opinion is still not ambitious enough, although it is currently rising in popularity AFAIK.

Let's have a nice discussion here :blob_patpat:

2. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I don't think there's any that rivals those.

Not every country has something so massive like that in this category. Japan rules in this, I guess America also kinda rules in animation with Disney stuff and such but more along the lines of movies than series.

I guess The King's Avatar is quite popular since even some of my non-weeb friends have seen it (or its because they're such avid gamers that an esports anime caught their eyes).

But no, I don't think there's anything. Chinese historical literature is quite big though, more so than any Japanese ones. They are kinda over them in that category.

strayCat0 and in_awe like this.
  3. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wasn't The King Avatar KR . Also if we r only recommending what we want to be made in media ( I don't know any current ones , I am currently out of anime game ) then I propose Warlock of the Magus World , it will be a VERY ambitious project with atleast 8 seasons but considering Game of Thrones I think it would have a MASSIVE popularity ( if they don't screw it up ) Another one would be When A Mage Revolts again atleast 6 seasons

4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    R u sure u talking about CNs here? :hmm:
    I thought CNs were littered with arrogant, small-minded, reckless, murderous hypocrites with anger management issues (I don't always hate such character types, tho). And they're often equally hot-blooded. B4 u say that's not always the case, I'll point out I was talking about the majority of CNs here.

KRN MCs would be a better fit 4 that description.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  5. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    I refer to someone like Emperor Domination MC's and any other rational and calm character out there :blobpats:

otaku31 likes this.
  6. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a what if scenario, so you can actually consider from any novel that you maybe have read what its main point, how the story progress or any story element that can make it 'worthy' to be rivalling the Japanese one 'if' they are adaptated into anime form.

I use 'anime' as the adaptation here cause there are so many plus point to be adapted into this form.

7. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    those JP anime build on long term story and have several plots...not only that, JP has anime production houses that has gone for decades which make the foundation strong...this is also why JP anime fans always ready for new anime...

while CN has their own great novels (Journey to The West, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Dream of the Red Chamber, and Water Margin) most of them are made into TV drama and movie...it's like the foundation of CN is TV Drama and movies...
    while the anime / donghua is secondary which is also why there are not many anime production houses with great anime skills (directors, illustrators, animations, etc)
    i guess we should give it another 5 or so years before there are donghua that can rival JP top anime

OnceandFutureLurker and in_awe like this.
  8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The chinese manga that reminds me the most of japanese shounen would probably be: Zui Wu Dao

It screams shounen.

9. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why I included the condition of 'ambitious project', so in my mind the ambitious refers to they seriously already rivalled Japan on anime production, the fluidity, art and other anime aspect isn't problem anymore. The only thing that they need is only the 'story'

10. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    But, is the story alone worthy enough to gain a massive popularity?

11. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks 4 reminding me of ED. Hv now added "arrogant" to list of CN character traits in my post. :blob_grin:

P.S. Don't worry, I do understand what you were getting at.

12. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    hahaha..
    I forgot that arrogance is also a trait while making that reply :facepalm:

otaku31 likes this.
  13. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a trick question. There is a reason why terms like narutard or the like exists. So the question boils down to if these things even deserve the popularity they have?

There is a difference between "mass appeal" and being a "masterpiece".

As for my opinion on Zui Wu Dao, I don't think it will lose out to naruto at the very least.

Fluffy Jellyfish likes this.
  14. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    the closest thing a chinese form of entertainment comes close to that is those chinese fiction movies aka chinese kung fu movies.
    Other than those, none.

otaku31 likes this.
  15. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
  16. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wow i'm surprised no one has sent you a knife. Kings Avatar is very Chinese and it's one of their more popular novels, having been made into an anime series (seasons ongoing) and now a live action drama.
    several well known C novels are being made either into anime or into live actions at the moment, sometimes both, but it doesn't seem like Chinese anime runs the same as Japanese. season 1 might only be 12 episodes and then you might have to wait an entire year before the next season comes out. it's frustrating.
    being a horror fan i want to see some of the horror novels like My House of Horror or Dreadful Radio Game turned into anime and I'd love to see Reverend Insanity turned into an anime or live action; neither will happen without changes due to censoring.
    edit: i think the Soul Land series (0- 4) is the closest to a shounen type story with the power of friendship overcoming all evil and all that, though none of the MC are hot-headed

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    strayCat0, Daisydacrazy and Pipinkj like this.
  17. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, there is already a drama version and manhua of nightfall although both incomplete, but yeah, it would be great to make an anime version of it :aww:

18. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Comic wise, Japan wins, because of how sketchy or inconsistent most Chinese comic-adaptations are in my experience.
    Concept wise, equalized, because both fictions have their ups and downs.
    Animation wise, Japan by a landslide for obvious reasons.

Need me to remind you what injustice they did to Desolate Era? Like BLOODY FUCK was that shit of an adaptation?
    Thankfully The King's Avatar was saved from such atrocity. I believe Chinese novel adaptations have more advantages in 3D rather than base 2D anime. A good example would be Soul Land, but indeed, another 2D Chinese anime like Way of Choices was also done well for their level of animation. Art was superb.

strayCat0 likes this.
  19. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like it, visualization will take a toll on the production team as readers of novels have a very wide range of interpretation about the characters.

20. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    I WOULD HONESTLY FUCKIN HAPPY IF THEY USE THE CHARACTER IN MANHUA TO BE ADAPTATED INTO THE ANIME

Oh god, I considered the manhua as the absolute best on how to depict the character
    from Ning Que hair and how Sangsang is portraited

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.