Recruitment Chinese Translators – Cultivate the Dao of Translation

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by pizzacodes, Oct 24, 2019.

1. pizzacodes

pizzacodes Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ** One Platform, Universal Benefits **
    Hey, NerdChina is recruiting our last translator.

You might want to consider if…
    • You enjoy sharing your passion with people outside of China
    • You put more emphasis on spreading culture than exploiting your readers for short-term gains
    • You would love to have a full-time job translating web novels (and chatting about it)

Above all else, the goal is to do to Chinese subculture what our predecessors did to bring Japanese anime and manga to the western audience. Similar to computer hobbyist in the late 70s and “hacker” culture, their actions were not driven by profits but insane passion. Fans translated for other fans underground supported by peer encouragement and feedback; because of that, the subculture of Japan became well-known.

What do you think?

The goal is to bring back that same vigor and passion with the vision to use today’s technology to connect to a wider audience faster while giving translators not only encouragement and feedback, but the financial support they need to focus on producing.

Does this sound like you?

For this reason, we’re not targeting mainstream web novels but lesser known novels and works to move our agenda closer to the same enthusiasm as our predecessors.

Are you in?

Please reply or pm for more information.
    Send request for application at [email protected]

PS: We're experimenting with new ways to support hobbyist translators beside a salary and patreon. If you're looking for a well-paid position (not that it can't happen), you'll have better luck elsewhere Otherwise if the above speaks to you, we should talk.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Ashley123 likes this.
  2. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love the tone of your ad (only because of the potential cringe), but you really need a proofreader/editor more than anything. Putting aside the odd punctuation issue, profiteering does not mean what you think it is. :hmm:Unless there's some dark dank subtext there, then go for it.

Also, you're speaking to an audience who is mainly outside of China. Being able to share one's passion with the person you're right next to at this moment isn't that big of a draw.

Either way, good luck with your search!

3. pizzacodes

pizzacodes Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll take the feedback.

You're 100% right about majority of people living outside of China. Most people wouldn't mind the emphasis. On the passion, I think there's a difference between translating because you like it vs translating because you live and breath the content. I wanted to draw the distinction between two kind of hobbies. Imagine watching football on a weekly consistency versus gathering other fans to play football on the field and over video game. Many fall into the former while I'm searching for the latter.

Last, I think it's unfair to point out someone's grammar as a cheap attack on these forums.

Anyhow, I appreciate the feedback and will replace the "profiteering" as suggested.

4. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not an attack at all? Just a comment. But take it as you wish.

Wujigege likes this.
  5. pizzacodes

pizzacodes Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    UPDATE
    The position is filled, and we'll get back to those who have already been in contact with us to squeeze you to other projects. For those still interested, please feel free to send an email to us at [email protected] for more information and to get on the wait list for approval because your skill is always welcomed.