Discussion Chinese Webnovel Genres Event(10 Invitation Codes published)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Qidian, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qidian

Qidian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese Webnovel Genres Event
    The translation scene is growing, and more and more people are discovering the brilliance of Chinese webnovels. In the past few weeks, a lot of readers have suggested to add definition of genres in our website so that it would be easier to introduce them to new readers. This suggestion has caught our eyes, and we are aiming to do it right away. As such, we will be holding a small event for all our readers!
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    What is “Xuanhuan”? Is it a story about "Reincarnation" and "Oriental fantasy"? Or perhaps it is something like the "Library of Heaven's Path" written by Heng Sao Tian Ya? What is "Xianxia"? Is it about the "Dao" and "Immortality"? Something like "I Shall Seal the Heavens" created by Er Gen?

As a senior webnovel reader, you must have your own opinions on the definitions of webnovel genres. And, in order to bring out the best definitions of these webnovels genre, we would like to collect and compile the definitions of Chinese webnovel fans all over the world!

Rules:
    1. Define one or more genres like "Xianxia", "Xuanhuan", "Fantasy", "Sci-Fi" or "Modern" in this thread.
    2. Each description should be written between 140 to 500 characters.
    3. When you receive 5 or more likes, we will message you an invitation code which could be used to sign in to our latest Android APP.
    4. When there are 30 unique replies, we will be adding 10 invitation codes in the follow-up thread.
    5. When there are 60 unique replies, we will be adding 20 invitation codes in the follow-up thread.
    6. When there are 100 unique replies, we will be adding 30 invitation codes in the follow-up thread, and 5 invitation codes will be inserted in the next batch of released chapters
    Time:
    2017.04.10-2017.04.30

Note:
    Due to the time differences, the invitation codes may not be handed out instantly, but we will try our best to message you ASAP.

Nargol likes this.
  2. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
  3. TheMrAzn

TheMrAzn [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    Taken directly from Wuxia World. (Not taking credit for the descriptions, just thought adding this would make it easier for people to define it.)
    What is wuxia?
    Wuxia is made from two characters; ‘Wu’ and ‘Xia’, which literally mean ‘martial hero’. Wuxia stories are basically martial arts stories, with an essentially ‘real’ world filled with people who do incredible things through martial arts and generating ‘qi’, which allows them to leap long distances across rooftops and skip across water, a la Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon. Asian fans here surely have heard of famous novels/adaptations like the Legend of the Condor Heroes, Return of the Condor Heroes, Swordsman/Smiling Proud Wanderer, Seven Swordsmen (by Tsui Hark), etc. ‘Horizon, Bright Moon, Sabre’, is another example of Wuxia. These are all ‘Wuxia’; novels that are grounded in real-life Chinese martial arts and internal energy cultivation (qigong) techniques that are kicked up to an exaggeratedly awesome level.

What is xianxia?
    As for Xianxia, the characters forming it are ‘Xian’ and ‘Xia’, which literally means ‘immortal hero’. Xianxia is a newer genre and is essentially a ‘fantasy-fied’ version of Wuxia, with magic, demons, immortals, people who can fly, etc. The biggest contributor to the Xianxia genre is actually not martial arts; rather, it is ‘Taoism’, which is a major part of Chinese history. Taoism is both a philosophical way of life as well as an actual religion. Religious Taoism is often blurred together with Chinese folk mythologies, and is chock-full of stories about demons, ghosts, and people learning how to become immortals through meditation/understanding the ways of heaven, and flying in the air and casting powerful magic spells. The legendary Monkey King, Sun Wukong (whom Son Goku of DBZ is based off of) acquired his power through Taoist practices, and the concept of the Yin-Yang is also from Taoism. Xianxia blends lots of these folk stories and magical Taoist legends into their stories in a way which ‘true’ Wuxia stories almost never do.

Dydreamr and AHKoT like this.
  4. TheMrAzn

TheMrAzn [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    Booo!!, I was going to do that next.

5. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Good going. I have always understood Xuanhua as a
    cultivation novel based in a fantasy world
    compared to wuxia as a
    cultivation novel set whithin a certian story frame based on the buddhist and daosit sects of the early Ming empire.
    Thats my contribution I guess

Lord Meh Meh and Adair like this.
  6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    lel huahahahahahahahaha~ raise the tail for Oly~ 19665.png

7. Helkeek

Helkeek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Modern? That's obviously about modrrn day cultivation And Sci-Fi is cultivation but with Star Wars elements

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
  9. 8Psycho

8Psycho Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh.. how can you even say that. It is just a fastfood of literature.

10. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Sci-fi:
    Sci-fi is a genre that is common for both Western and Eastern literary works. It is a genre that has elements of scientific super realism,meaning that the story is dependent on some form of organised science that might actually not be practical. The usage of time machines,super powerful laser guns and ultra scientific armors are some of the chief common points. Often times,Mecha is a sub genre of sci-fi,indicating usage of robots that are manually controlled.

11. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Modern:
    The term modern is used to describe the setting of the story. In its most simple usage,it indicates that the story is taking place in a modern society with rules and etiquettes that are similar to the society we live in. However,modern can also indicate futuristic setting,where elements are hyper realism are toned down. An example of this would be a setting with modern society but cars can fly,or robots are used for cleaning the streets. Meaning that it is not very farfetched,but the current society is not quite yet there.

12. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem = is Harem fuck Yeah

13. Yunchii

Yunchii Best Waifu - Tamamo-no-Mae

Reading List:
    Link
    and those teacher in China regret it 15 years later as Wuxia, Xianxia and Xuanhuan novel transform from trash into good literature... as Chinese would say "Forgive me your excellency, I've eyes but failed to see Mt. Tai"

Trivia about small-fry antagonist :-
    Wuxia - "how dare you hit me, even my father never hit me"
    Xianxia - "I'm sorry, I've eyes but failed to see Mt. Tai"
    Xuanhuan - " Youth, you are courting death"

Lord Meh Meh likes this.
  14. Setra

Setra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Xuanhuan : MC thinks about who will he kill next
    Xianxia : MC thinks about his next step in cultivation
    Sci-fi : pew!pew!pew! kaboom!!

Lord Meh Meh likes this.
  15. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't you guys have your novels defined by a genre already on the original site?

16. JungleLucian

JungleLucian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just want to say

Keep up the good work.

Love the www.webnovel.com site.

The traffic will improve as more chapters build up.

Readers right now are waiting for more chapters before they read it.

17. Lord Meh Meh

Lord Meh Meh Cutie Kebob☯Bite Me $100,000 Nuf for a taste

Reading List:
    Link
    Wuxia: Stories based on the real world with real martial arts techniques and the added spice of internal energy cultivation that everyone and I mean everyone can do(except those darn good for nothing black belly misses who can't see Mt.Tai). This is a world where people can do amazing things but unlike it's twin brother genre Xianxia it doesn't allow room for ascending to Godhood and the only emperor will be the actual emperor. It's considered low fantasy compared to Xianxia because while both do have fantastic elements Xianxia is more densely packed with old Chinese legends and beliefs along with elements of religion. Regardless of which you prefer to read there are plenty I, Your father's and your fifth grandma's to sate your hunger for another long awaited face slapping session. Both are captivating in their own right even with the frequently recycled tropes and story lines found in many Chinese fantasy novels.

Xianxia: Take Wuxia and ramp it up a million times. Don't be surprised if your protagonist used to be a god, is a god, gave birth to a god, lives next door to a god or any other variation of that. Like Wuxia there's fighting, lot's. But the fighting is gonna be a bit more you know out there. Your friendly protagonist( arrogant, selfish, stupid, pick one) might stab someone with a shoot of bamboo or grow big enough to star in Attack on Titan. And dudes gonna do it( because let's be honest it's almost always a dude) while constantly contemplating the mysteries and depths of Daoism. By doing this they get closer and closer to reaching the heavens in order to become immortal, or stay immortal, or to just stay alive because there are a lot of other cultivators who can't see Mt. Tai.

So when you think Wuxia think real world with supernatural martial arts. And when you think Xianxia think Immortal and reaching the heavens with spiritual elements.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Dydreamr, Nargol, Adair and 1 other person like this.
  18. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    Wuxia: Simple Martial Arts with almost zero magical elements.

Xianxia: Martial arts blended with Taoist magic. Immortal Ascension and talks of Dao. Expect a million year old virgin protagonist who only wants immortality without caring about the pleasures of the world.

Xuanhuan: F
    antasy featuring adventures and wars with less emphasis on Dao and more action. No million year virgins here. Cool protagonists who enjoy their ride to the peak of martial arts.

19. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    All here for invitation code

[​IMG]

20. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really. I already have an account.

Thread Status: