Resolved Chrome, this is definitely suspicious.

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by magecraft_unleashed, May 28, 2020.

1. magecraft_unleashed

magecraft_unleashed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I have a big question that I don't know how to answer.

It is not as if I have installed many extensions in my browser to know if it is normal or not, but for a long time now I see that at the moment of installing an extension (Pocket or Ublock, for example) between the permissions it asks to work it is not listed the permission to read the browsing history but when I check the installed extensions page in Chrome it still appears listed among the required permissions that have already been granted to the extension (permission that I definitely don't remember granting).

Back to the question: Should I be worried?

Edit: First I will say that Chrome is my secondary browser installed in case something goes wrong with Firefox, and second I already uninstalled it. I only had Chrome because I wanted to try the PWA, which I'm still not sure if it was worth it.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    You already accepted granting browser data when you installed chrome.
    On an unrelated note: Firefox For Live

3. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    Chrome and extensions are known for selling data. If your worried about this you should probably take steps to take care of your data. But for most people they don't really care.

4. l2ose

l2ose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why u still using chrome~? That thing eat ram like me eating pocky sticks and they don't care about your privacy whatsoever~

Ziavory likes this.
  5. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    I use Firefox.

6. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Many ad blocking and privacy extensions need to be able to view your browsing history to know what website you're on and what assets the website is trying to load. Even on Firefox, you'd need to grant similar permissions.

If you have questions about why an extension requires the permissions that it does, try asking Google. I found this about uBlock in about 10 seconds. https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Permissions

magecraft_unleashed likes this.