Question Cities

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by 9thExiled, Mar 20, 2017.

?

How do you deal with cities

1. try to remember the places mentioned

36.0%
  2. create a diagram in my head

12.0%
  3. just remember the name and ignore the rest

52.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9thExiled

9thExiled Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While reading novels, I can't help but think about the places in cities such as slums, market, noble district castle district and so fort. I just want to know how you deal with too much information. I personally just read past those things.

2. Blushy

Blushy 【Procrastinator】

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's something that's mentioned a lot then I'll remember it... if not, it just gets noted and probably forgotten :unsure:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Senros, iampsyx and Enigma like this.
  3. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless it's a city that's going to be a big part of the novel i normally just ignore it. After all most places in novels are only a temporary visit, but feds are exceptions of course.

4. 9thExiled

9thExiled Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    uh. for example a city which the mc stays for about 20 to 30 chapters?

5. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    in xiaxian novels only the restaurants and the city lord mansion are important

scribbledoutname and Jarrow like this.
  6. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends entirely on the skill of the author, and the needs of the story. Most xianxia abandon each area as soon as the MC leaves, so it makes not sense to try to get a feel for it.

7. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda just remembers the, if any, notable things, like where someone important got assassinated. If not it is just, blacksmith, pharmarcy, auction house (arrogant (young is optional) masters perhaps) in Xianxia novels, guilds (pricks may be included) in Fantasy novels.

8. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    I find it hard to remember people that are mentioned every now and then. Places I would remember less to be honest. If I do remember it'll just be the name and not how its related in the novel

iampsyx likes this.
  9. Rexdaevid

Rexdaevid Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it is an unfamiliar city then landmarks would be the first thing I take into consideration then try to remember street names and integrate the landmarks. Lastly, create a diagram in my head with landmarks as the guide then the names of the street and number of streets from current location to destination.

9thExiled likes this.
  10. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    If there's some description that makes them unique (or special in terms of the story) then they'll probably stick in my head long enough to remember them while reading. If not then I'll usually forget them --- heck, I already have a hard time with names (especially similar-sounding ones)! XD

11. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how important the city is to the story. Most of xianxias don't give you enough details to make a map in your head about the city. They say it's in the center of the city, in the outskirts or whatever, but rarely mention if it's beside a busy street, an alley, etc, unless they go to an information broker and meet in an alley.

I just take them as places in the city and don't really care about where they are or how the MC gets there. It's not explained so why bother? They will tell you the MC jumped down from the sect master's whore house, into the young master's little sister's room and he found the siblings naked on the bed, then the MC took the sister away and ran away. You just know those two places are near each other, but that's it.

If the story mostly takes place in one city or in just a few cities, then I would try to remember what's in them. Those novels give more details about the place the story takes place, so I would try to make a mental map for the city (or just look at the map if the book has a map for that city). I like maps in books.

12. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    I always forget it ( ̄▽ ̄) even the names when the update is too slow~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.