News CKTalon to move to Qidian with TMW and AC

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by thedorkishguy, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tencent_hater

tencent_hater Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the fundamental conflict between WW and Qidian is the brand

for consumer product, the brand is everything, when someone want to search on web, it think about google, when someone want to eat trash food it think about McDonald. In China when someone want to read a web novel, it think about Qidian

the current situation: Qidian has the best novel, WW has best brand (outside China). If Qidian continue to license novel to WW, it help Qidian, but it help WW more. That is not acceptable for Qidian, who has the ambition to establish itself as no. 1 brand (outside China)

Therefore, Qidian has to break with WW, even it will hurt Qidian greatly now, but will hurt WW more in long term (as least Qidian think so) by denying WW the best novel and stealing its translators (potential and existing) . And Qidian has the money to do a full ad campaign, and use advantage of Tencent (Anime, TV Drama, Game), this is WW doesn't have

Qidian and WW will cooperate again, when WW is no longer a thread to Qidian (I predict in 3~5 years)

2. Its Michael

Its Michael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @tencent_hater as you are clearly paid to write here (as I already pointed out in my previous comments in other thread how you suddenly changed your narration and now trying to whitening QI image to show how all of this is "just a business tactice and normal thing") your words are just an empty claim.

First thing first Qidian doesn't have all the best chinese novels - false claim. You know why? Because point of view which novel is the best depends on many factors - for some people novels you think are the best are just crap and vice versa. If you want to claim whithin milions on chinese novels from other publishers there isn't novels as good or even better than those on QI you are simply lying. Probability to find good novel is higher at QI novels because they have a lot more novels than other publishers.

Second thing - QI already signed an agreement with WW for those 20 novels and they can't claim it back - it's against the law. They acted like little kids and would be punished for it. If they would keep going with it and try to use WW work without permission from translators I would report it as a business owner myself first to Department for International Trade within UK then to FTC in USA. I have been whistleblower for several cases of frauds thus my reports are treated as a normal cases and are given priority.

Third thing - it wouldn't hurt WW at all - now QI opened doors for 17k and Zongheng. To be more precise QI by themselves created not only one enemy on this international market but three enemies. QI already destroyed their image and are looking like a self-centered prick aiming to monopolize international market - which is by the way illegal in western countries. On top of that their actions now slowed their expansion within international market. Those mediocre and mtl + editing translations ain't something which would bring them huge audience. If you insist I can now contact several newspapers within UK to write an article regarding quality of this "professional translation on QI site - company claiming to be the best platform in western market to read chinese novels" and ask them to compare it with WW. What do you think people would do? Average person will laugh their ass off - they are looking like clowns with all their claims. It's like a skinny dude claiming to be bodybuilder. Damn they are acting so almighty but yet it's hard to find proper english on their site.

On top of that do you thing many companies would agree now to cooperate with QI after they tried to screw over WW? If you insist I can contact now Amazon and bring up this matter to them - they have just basic agreement with QI regarding publication of english version of their novels.

So who is losing more now? WW would in the worst case just lose all QI novels - before court case would end there would be many of 17k and Zongzen novels on their site. Many translators would chose to join WW now - you know why? Because Ren is fighting for them and he is following his agreement - not like QI. If QI tried to screw over WW why wouldn't they tried the same with translators later on when they would have enough people to translate for them? If they don't keep their words now why should they do it for one single person which is working under contract and can't even say wrong word regarding QI? Translators wouldn't even have power to fight back QI - they would be squeezed by them. On the other hand Ren care about WW image, care about his translators and will even go to court for them. So tell me who is losing on the long term?

Personally unless QI will back down, say sorry and wrote official, binding by law announcement they wouldn't do it in the future I don't see a point in cooperation. The only cooperation which would have any sense is publishing translated novels (for which WW have exclusive rights) as ebooks - not taking anymore novels from QI or cooperate in any other way.

The conflict arise because of QI self-centered nature and greed - nothing else. If they would keep cooperating with WW their expansion would be a lot faster and would bring them a lot more profits - even if they would win in court they would still lose all already translated by WW chapters. Wouldn't it be better to talk with WW and divide novels between them on set rules? I bet Ren wouldn't mind if such agreement would state the most popular novels (at China) would be published on QI site and less popular on WW - in the end QI would still have an acess to work of highly skilled translators and would be able to publish ebooks in the future. Ren would even help them in developing their standing at international market. Such cooperation can bring only profits for both sides but now QI instantly got three enemies (four if you would include community), lose a huge amount of potential translators, lose a lot of face and now would have many problems following this matter. If someone would inform government institutions about their actions (doesn't matter if it would success or no) they would be under review in no time. So instead cooperating they chose to cut off both of their legs and keep going on their own.

To be honest on the long run it isn't worth it - QI is losing money as we are speaking here. Day by day, hour by hour they lose. Many problems arise and because QI representatives are not used to deal with them (we can see it at their actions - paid shills, stupid comments and acting like they are already no 1) it would be huge obstacle for them. Yes sooner or later QI would start profiting but they just gave other chinese publisher a lot better start. Damn highly skilled translators which are brands by themselves are contacting 17k and Zonghen by themselves - QI need to poach every single one. On top of that if new translators with rather mediocre skills would decide to translate under 17k and Zongheng banner they would face such a huge amount of hate as translators for QI. All of this just in order to try to boost their potential profit. It's clear for me those QI representatives are not used to deal with things on such complex market as international one. They are being used to dictate markets and recreate them in any way they want them but it wouldn't be possible in this case.

They lost a lot more they can possibly gain and even created good situation for other publishers and authors to join in. In other words they just create massive competition for themselves when their quality is still so low and their standing is very bad. Stupid decision in my opinion.

Loriel, zentetsuken, TsukiKun and 7 others like this.
  3. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    @tencent_hater That's a valid point. But I think the main reason QI did what they did was a fast grab to forcefully steal WW qualified translators. It was made evident by their demand that all current projects, even the 20 novels which WW received the licence to operate, be move over to QI. If we also consider that the current QI cruelly lack qualified translators and editors (not that they don't have any), then their move against WW is even more obvious.

YunsmoothChe, tskalabri and Wujigege like this.
  4. Drakee

Drakee New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so the longer the chapter, the more expensive it become?

seems like using aggregator site is truly the way to go.

5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Reality is cruel. Most people on here need to grow up.
    I agree with @tencent_hater and @Its Michael someone disagreeing with you does not make them a shill.
    Funny that a tencent shill is called tencent hater haha, considering all the assumptions made here that is the most far fetched.

YunsmoothChe and MadHatter like this.
  6. Drakee

Drakee New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    he/she that makes the acc, probably thought to use that name to try and fool everyone.
    but it was doomed to fail since the start, because his/her objective is to defend Qidian/tencent.

7. Its Michael

Its Michael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read his first post on this forum then read every single post following it. You will notice the same thing as me - this guy is changing narration 180*. When I pointed this out he doesn't even try to hide his intentions now. It's funny when you try to deny the fact when he first tried to intimitade everyone using Tencent name and now he is trying to state it's "just a business tactice and normal thing". Notice how this guy even mentioned he is from China :D:D Things QI done are illegal on international markets it's not any kind of "business tactice" unless you want to state stealing is business tactice as well.

On top of all things apparently JungleLucian (and his other accounts) are not active anymore - then this account just appeared. If you would compare the way JungleLucian have been writing vs how this "hater" is writing you will notice many similarities - I dare you to compare them and then tell me this guy don't write in similar way. The only difference now is one - he dropped pseudomarketing babbling and at first tried to intimitade community by using QI roots and after that is trying to state all actions of QI is pure business tactice. If you would do comparision and still wouldn't see it - well it's your right to think otherwise. Unless you done it laughing at my words is just action without any logic background.

PS. Do nick means anything? If rapist would create an account on dating site and chose nick "I won't rape you" does it mean he wouldn't do that? Damn you would even think otherwise would you? Seeing such nick as @tencent_hater I had my doubts at beginning but later on he have been proving how he isn't a hater but paid shill. Do you ever saw hater defending actions of people he hate? :D

Loriel, zentetsuken, TsukiKun and 3 others like this.
  8. Drakee

Drakee New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, chances are they are the same person, there might be only 1 or 2 person on their propaganda team.

TsukiKun likes this.
  9. invincibleDebster

invincibleDebster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When i have seen tencent hater first post, the first that came to my mind was jungle lucien.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    tskalabri and Wujigege like this.
  10. tencent_hater

tencent_hater Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, first, thank you for thinking my post worth any money. (it didn't, see bolow)

Second, I think you are making a big mistake by believing Qidian cares about its reputation on this site, It didn't, because:
    • If Qidian care, it will never publicly accuse WW on this site (of course WW will counter-attack) and lead to the current situation. Qidian is not run by 12 years old, it knows the consequence. Qidian choose this grandstanding, because it make sure Qidian always in the discussion , and make every translator/read aware of Qidian.
    • Qidian's target audience is not people use this site (heaver user), when some form of pay-wall is built (I think Qidian will, but probably much later, because now it needs build its brand first , this take years), heavey user know how to find alternative, or pirate it. Qidian want light users, who known Qidian from ad/game/anime/friends, who previously know very little about web novel. Those people are far more in large number, and more loyal, and more willing to pay.
    • People speak on this forum are just a laud minority. Most reader do not care about Qidian vs. WW, they just want free and quick access to novel and nothing more.
    • Translator may care about Qidian vs. WW, but in the end, like author, most translator will choose the one who benefit it financially most
    Third, about whether Qidian has best novels, for the sake of discussion, let's say it didn't. But with the help Tencent (again ad/game/anime), it will make sure Qidian has the most popular one (outside China), the end result is the same

11. invincibleDebster

invincibleDebster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am quite amazed by seeing you telling all about Qi with such certainity like you are employed there..
    Anyway you are completely wrong if you think people who speak here are in minority and those who don't speak doesn't care about Qi vs WW.
    The real fact is most people are here for reading novel and so they usually don't login to nuf for example i am reading at NU for 14 months but i have only signed up 7 months ago.
    Morever more than 80 % readers are angered with QI.
    And if you think Qi doesn't care about there reputation then they haven't tell there translators to clarify the issue.
    Also you are just ignoring that Qi is acting like a hoodlum and just saying they don't care and all but you never said they should apologies to WW and at nuf make official statement about all issue.
    Also thanks to this mess paywall will be delayed by much time.
    You are just acting like a Qi employer who is defending his company with hoodlum like behaviour.

12. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, this might not be the case. At least in some countries (i.e. Russia) Intellectual Property Rights laws give the author the right to revoke earlier given permission to distribute his work - though he has to shoulder all the expenses and compensate the losses caused by it.
    So if WW's is in a country where the law has such a provision, QI can ask the authors to do it.

13. no168_92

no168_92 BrokenDoor|NeedsFixing|LackingFunds|DonorsWelcomed

Reading List:
    Link

dont get me wrong, I'm not reading even one of QI novel on their site, TKA at GT, LOHP at starve's, things like that... its just that, Its saddening to see WW not taking Qidian novels no more...

I seriously agree that QI are the new (maybe slightly richer) kid on the block that are trying to boss everyone around, and truthfully, that's really... pathetic? hateful? scornful? pick your words...

14. SeattleSounders

SeattleSounders Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why all the hate? Stay strong CKTalon.

When he moved from Gravitytales to Wuxiaworld he wrote that licensing is a large part why he moved. He made a promise with the author.

CKtalon is doing what is good for the translator and the author.

YunsmoothChe, lynette and strixflash like this.
  15. no168_92

no168_92 BrokenDoor|NeedsFixing|LackingFunds|DonorsWelcomed

Reading List:
    Link
    most of the long time reader/community is not hating CK OR any other tl'er specifically, its more directed towards QI actually... well, they (QI) are the ones that incited the masses anger towards them by playing their card poorly...

for all the TL'ers, we can only hope the best for them in the future... bcoz whenever money gets involved, people can become more vicious, ruthless, hateful, insidious, backstabbing etc...

16. revenantone

revenantone Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ck talon is a dissapointment of a translator he turned on WW after they took heat for accepting him in from GT he waited a few months to stab a knife as harshly as he could to win a little extra money. i find him to be a waste of space and a pathetic excuse for a person. he lied to fans and even expects to continue posting on WW until his move... he needs to leave WW and needs to remove his flair in the reddit, hell even if he apologizes publically for being the trash he is it still wouldnt be enough, i mean as is he also showed a willingness to bend over for qidian and beg for another mouthfull { of qidian dong}

gorlax likes this.
  17. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah3x. You have beef with CK that you create new account here just to flame him?

No matter what, CK contribution to TL world can't be denied. What did you do?

18. mudslap

mudslap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Translated Novel Community weighs heavily on NU and WW currently. If QI doesn't care about its reputation here and only cares about consumers new to the Novel Industry, it won't work as you might expect.

With the reputation of QI's standing, if there were ever the chances of a paywall being implemented, the Novel Community would involve themselves with 'new consumers' against QI's stance.

Furthermore, and this is an important one, translators and actual authors are two different entities. Consumers in the Western Community can only rely on translators in order to read the Novels and because of that, translator's translation quality must be up to standard.

I'm not asking to the point of absolute no grammatical errors or tenses but rather to have the minimum standard required for a translator to join QI. Obviously, QI has to fork out more money which they apparently did not, causing the current dilemma.

I mean, if you consider QI plan to have a long-term goal in mind, they have to consider translation quality, popularity, reputation and most importantly, consumer's acceptance.

Translation would have to be improved. But when one of the top translator group, WW, decided to part ways with QI and venture with Zongheng and 17k, along with its supporters, QI will have a hard time unless they truly are trying to execute actions and improve their current situation.

Furthermore, these are some dubious stuff I have been thinking of lately. People who have joined QI would have no choice but to participate in supporting QI's reputation when asked to do so. They, who have joined QI, could not speak badly about them as per contract.

It wouldn't be too bad if nothing happens. But if ever the chance that QI fked up, the above statement would cause harm to those translators and editors.

Another thing that irks me is the licensing issue that was mentioned by many who have joined QI. Man, it's true that QI holds the licensing but if no one accepts QI, what left do they have remaining? In the end, if QI shuts down, everyone will be affected.

Instead of a win-win situation, this would be a lose-lose situation, wouldn't it? If they don't, other competitors would take their place instead.

What QI definitely have to do is to improve their situation instead of anything else at hand.

invincibleDebster likes this.
  19. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    @mudslap the people who are aware or care about the current situation are a minority. Just look at the multiple threads about it and the number of views of each thread. When compare with the global numbers of readers or even NUF members, that's just a tiny part of the pie.

I once played a game and we took upon the game forum to demand they enact some change. Since we were numerous in asking, they cave and finally implemented the change. This kicked off a hailstorm of angry players who wanted things to go back the way it was. Turn out we were only a loud minority, discussing about things on the forum and thinking we represented -everyone-. We didn't.

Even if we take into consideration NUF, reddit and the translation websites announcement, most people are oblivious of the current situation or simply don't care.

YunsmoothChe, Wujigege and Damyabo like this.
  20. zentetsuken

zentetsuken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure there was a link/site which shown that 98% of QI traffic came from NU.. now if only I can find it again...

Anyway that 98% claim is not something outrageous since QI has been borderline spamming their releases on NU. Seriously NU need an option to hide spesific translation group release.

Saol and invincibleDebster like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.