Discussion Class Change in VRMMO

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Beltran, Dec 13, 2018.

?

Do you stick to a certain class when playing games?

1. Yup

73.3%
  2. Nope

26.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    I have come across vrmmo novels where the mc change class either because they reincarnated (like Emperor of Solo Play, Reign of Hunter, etc) or just because of a class change quest/token (Taming Master). Now, it got me wondering, vrmmo is different from conventional gaming we have now because it involves more complicated mechanical skills (because it feels more reals and all that) and thus won't it be hard to get used and even reach god-level player status using a new class after using the previous one for years?

2. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    If I played a VRMMO I'd probably be some livelihood class. Blacksmith or Cooking. Former is rich, latter can eat tons of delicious food...

Beltran likes this.
  3. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    I prolly be a archer class

Beltran likes this.
  4. Kuronairo

Kuronairo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If vrmmo were quite "Real" , a class change would be quite hard to adapt at first. Playing as a warrior is nothing like being a mage. All games have their own systèm of classes , atrributes , races And all. But to me for example it would bé to go from studying engineering to study Law , a bit hard to adapt at first as there are a lot of things that are different . Even for melee classes , a Paladin gameplay is nothing like an Assa or berserker. Even more in a vrmmo

Lonelycity and Beltran like this.
  5. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, I understand the desire to be a life player haha. But I think a merchant class would be more rich than a blacksmith

6. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    Archer because attacking from afar is much safer and less traumatizing.

Beltran likes this.
  7. Kuronairo

Reading List:
    Link
    You won t earn much at thé beginning though xD .

Beltran likes this.
  8. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that were what I was thinking. In reign of hunters. The MC was a top-class sorcerer, then she suddenly changed into a hunter class after reincarnation, I think she even changed her race to elf. Kinda curious how she adapted.

9. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    when playing game, I'd stick to a certain class I wanted to role-play as. but if I were in the MCs shoes I'd choose the best class or class with the best chance to succeed with his objective as well.

Beltran likes this.
  10. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    But doesn't some games have pain limiting mechanisms? That helps with the traumatizing part, I think :blobpeek:

11. Kuronairo

Reading List:
    Link
    Gameplay is totally différent though :v but yeah I got bored of most of those , Read too much novels so it takes a bit more of "something" for me to liké a story recently but well there are still good stuffs to Read and some hidden gems liké kingdom Bloodline.

To get back on thé topic , if I was a mage , starting as a hunter would bé harder , I suck with a bow in Real life , While I was still trying hard to hit a bull eye , my Friends were shooting bull s eye on a horse. Mage is a good class to me , I would probably pick a mage type class. Or a magic fencer or Magic knight xD .

Beltran likes this.
  12. Funelas

Funelas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I typically play Paladins and CC Spellcasters.

Paladins for their amazing tank abilities, it goes a long way in solo runs.

I tend to play CC spellcasters if I'm playing with a group.

I guess adapting to a different class for me would depend on the activation of abilities.

If it is similar to Royal Road where you can just activate the skill willy nilly then I'd likely just spend a month getting familiar with a new class. If it's like the post-apocalypse Elder Tales, where you have to 'move' your body in accordance with the skill activation, I wouldn't want to change classes unless I had no other choice.

Beltran likes this.
  13. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, a top tier player should be able to pick up a new class pretty fast, and then keeping in mind their knowledge of the game and stuff, it shouldnt be too bad tbh.

And, also keep in mind that many of the mc's from VR novels are either a god tier player, legit #1 in the whole game, or some ultra martial artist in real life (or both), and considering the actually pretty small difference between classes in most games, it really shouldnt be too hard to pick up a new class.

Beltran likes this.
  14. Maraderchik

Maraderchik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You get backstabbed very soon:blobokhand: Archers usually kinda easy to deal with while you in melee, you literally have no chance to stand by himself...
    Almost every single melee class have 'charge' ability and can pretty fast close distance and then your life transform into living hell.

Btw warrior class should be good, it's usually easy to master and it's overall abilitys should be above average, not squishy like mage class as well can deal damage and at the same time take some damage.
    Well there's a healer class but i don't think it's can be independant in vrmmo or it's should be some kind of hybrid healer:hmm:

Ahh, and no this BS abot 'unusual secret class' like Snke charmer or Ant tamer.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Beltran likes this.
  15. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link

From my personal experience playing MMOs, I had a Paladin. I started as a healer, then switched to DPS, and also did tanking on the side. (even though everyone wished I'd become main tank but I didn't want to. I was a better tank than our dedicated tanks)

Switching in itself is not hard, it's more of a matter of compatibility. I also had a priest, I could play Discipline spec, but Holy spec I'd rather smash my head into the wall. I could also play rogue very well in 5 mans and 15 mans, but not so good in raiding.

Aka, it is about compatibility. If you are compatible with the playstyle and have some experience, you can easily switch classes

Beltran likes this.
  16. heavenlytribulation

heavenlytribulation [One Feared by All]

Reading List:
    Link
    I would either be an assassin/thief or a swordsman of course if I acquired a suitable hidden class I would select it

Beltran likes this.
  17. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    Gasp. Really?
    I thought blacksmithing is harder because you need to gather materials and there's this risk that the production will fail, hence loss of money.
    Sometimes, I pick characters because they look good lol
    Oh I got that on my to-read list.

I personally like the mage class, I'll just bombard people with skills lolol
    Fair point. I was thinking of it more like let's say world-class boxer suddenly taking a different sport so maybe my thoughts were a bit skewed >.>

18. yakuzapandaz

yakuzapandaz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Vrmmo probably will have manual targeting system where you have to aim and tell where the skill or spell will activate right?
    If so I would be casual noob that take all kind of skill no matter what class I play

Beltran likes this.
  19. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Emperor of Solo Play is a bad example - he becomes a necromancer or whatever, but he plays as a melee class. Basically, the exact same way he did before his reincarnation. His necromancer abilities are just extras to give him new options he didn't have before.

Anyway, in general, I agree. It seems like it'd be difficult to adapt to a completely new class and playstyle - at least in terms of god-tier ability (notsomuch if you want to be average or even pretty damn good). I will say that people with such 1337 skillz have abilities that carry over well into any class they'd choose to play, though, like well-honed hand-eye coordination or great reflexes and quick thinking. Still, they'd definitely suffer from the transition, and there's no guarantee they'd be as good as they were. Not without a lot of practice.

Beltran likes this.
  20. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it really depends on the novel (or the game in the novel). If it's hyper realistic and you have to do everything ''organically'' (i. e. knowing how to shoot a bow to be an archer, knowing stances or having great reflexes to be a swordsman) it might be a bit harder to change class, since muscle memory, but tbh not many novels are like that. Most are heavily assisted by skills and stuff like that, so it should be easier for high lvl players to pick something new up, especially if it is close to what they used to do (i. e. archer to mage, rogue to fist fighter, stuff like that).

And, tbh, even in real life, picking up a new martial art is way easier if you know one already, since your body would be trained and you'd have experience practicing a martial art. Ofc, that's also limited by their closeness to each other, so a boxer would probably find it a bit harder to do sumo or wrestling than, say, karate.

Beltran likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.