Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    Rape doesnt have to be related to protagonist as rapist or victim. There are novels out there where someone else gets raped by other someone. Lets say we have a novel where MC aunt gets raped , it wouldnt fit those 2 new tag.

2. Mi17

Mi17 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it a fetish term? I don't really get why it's called "reverse" and why if there's one for males where one of the pair is a protagonist there isn't one for females?

I think you misunderstood me, I'm saying that along with the Rape tag there should also be Protagonist Raped and Rapist Protagonist tags.

3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    NU is not interested in making more tags relating to rape, unless you are able to convince me other wise.
    As I mentioned above, the rape tag isn't necessarily plot specific. The tag is used so that people who want to avoid some scenes, are forwarned.
    Yes, protagonist can get raped and the opposite can also happen. But do I need a separate tag?? No. If it is male protagonist, he can only rape, or be reverse raped. Both of them have tags.
    If protagonist is female, she can only be raped or she can reverse rape. Both of which have tags.
    I see no persuasive reason for the creation of the suggested tags.
    You are free to further explain yourself, ONLY after understanding what I mean in this message~~

4. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    If we started making specific rape tags, then people would get a good reason to make even more rape tags. For example, there are novels like
    Boku wa Isekai de Fuyo Mahou to Shoukan Mahou wo Tenbin ni Kakeru
    where some fairly important(as well as some non important) characters get raped... but not by the MC. Some monsters do it and there are no explicit scene. Does that mean we need to be specific and make tags like 'not explicit rape', 'rape by monster', etc? That's honestly...too much of a pain.

I don't know about everyone, but I think that tags are meant to give the reader a general idea about what they can expect to read in the novel. Tags are NOT meant to be specific. Making a tag highly specific means it's no longer just a tag, it's a spoiler. Which is annoying. If someone needs spoilers, they can take some effort and make a thread.

Also, rape usually isn't the main focus of the novel(unless it's an Ero novel). If we made multiple tags for a topic that the novel doesn't treat importantly, we'd naturally have to make multiple tags for the important topics too. The novels with 40+ tags would get over 100 tags. That many tags is scary:sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

5. Mi17

Mi17 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, I see. Well then, one point is that reverse rape only applies if one of the pair is the protagonist and rape applies to any character. Maybe the definition of reverse rape should be broadened since otherwise per MangoGuy, it is plot specific and per Jaded, it is a specific spoiler.

As for the Protagonist Raped and Rapist Protagonist suggestions, since the reverse rape tag is protagonist specific I thought it'd be okay to have them especially since being gender neutral, they allow someone to specifically exclude works where the female protag gets raped and where a female protag rapes a female character. At least for the Protagonist Raped tag it'd help since excluding rape would exclude everything even if a female protag wasn't raped, eg a work where the maid of a female protagonist gets raped and affects the story.

Maybe just broaden the reverse rape tag to include any character and add the Protagonist Raped tag.

6. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Give me examples where random people other than the protagonist are reverse raped.

7. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I will not have the rape/reverse rape tag be used for any other characters beside the main character or if the series has multiple protagonist, any of the main characters.

The backlash that would occur due to new readers noticing the tag would be discouraging and potentially making repeated threads just because people can't be bothered to use the Search function. This is not a possible conclusion but has already happen and could be happening again if were to broaden the target for that tag to other characters.

Same goes with netorare/se/ri, death of loved ones, tragic past etc. If there is elements of its nature tat does not involve the main character but still explicit or graphic enough, use the Mature genre.

If you want a new definition, propose one with clear sentences instead of what could be fixed or what phrases should be used. I won't entertain any comments or replies without clear definitions.

Tl;dr Do not touch the rape tag or the reverse rape tag. Do not add any more rape based tag.

AliceShiki likes this.
  8. Mi17

Mi17 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read any, the main point is that if there's a tag specifically for male protags/leads getting raped, we should have one for female protags getting raped. The rape tag doesn't allow searching for a work where the female protag doesn't get raped but support character does.

Okay if no more rape based tags can be added, then I propose limiting the rape tag with this definition: This tag is to be used only if the protagonist is raped in the story during the continuous course of events under the plot. Note that this tag is not to be used if the protagonist has been hinted to have been raped in the past (before the start of the story).

There needs to be a way to filter out when a female protagonist is raped. I am fine with reading something where a villain gets raped or a support character is raped, but I would rather not read one where any protagonist gets raped. Searching by excluding rape will just exclude everything and searching without excluding rape will include everything and summaries do not usually say if it's just the protagonist getting raped or if it's someone else. Reverse rape works for protagonists which is awesome, but it only works if a male is getting raped by a female.

9. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are quite a few cultivation novels with crippled protagonists which recover not due to a new event, e.g., Sudden Strength Gain, but because they finally reached some form of threshold, both Battle Through the Heavens and Ancient Godly Monarch are such stories.

In BTTH, the mc recovers because the spirit finally acquired enough energy, in AGM the mc was crippled to gain the most out of his cultivation later on

The distinction is important because those stories tend to be about talents (aka geniuses) with a time handicap rather than solely hardworking or lucky mcs.
    I can't think of any smooth sounding term without loosing the nuance, so you can go with "Initially Inhibited Strength" (or cultivation).

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get the point of your post.

What do you want? A new tag? To remove a tag? To merge tags? You just talked about some novels and made no visible point.

11. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A new tag. Why would I suggest one otherwise?

12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Because your post wasn't clear and I had no idea what you wanted.

... So, essentially, you want a tag in which the protagonist overcome his crippled condition due to his own efforts, not due to some external effort... Is that it?

LaDyViL and runsing like this.
  13. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Although often that is the case or you can at least interpret it as such, it is not limited to mc's own efforts. It's simply an initial condition which the reader expects to end. What's relevant is that society considers him crippled but the protagonist hasn't lost hope, yet, or didn't even have a reason to.

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    ... A tag for a temporary crippledness then? Is that what you want?

Geez, you can be surprisingly confusing with your words...

15. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I already suggested a tag. Rather it's you who should tell what exactly you don't like about it.

16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    And I'm saying your suggestion is confusing, so I'm trying to get clarification on what you want...

Like...
    Right here... A question asking for clarification...

17. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That isn't a question for clarification but a suggestion. In other words, you spoke as if I didn't propose anything beforehand.

And you aren't trying to explain what is confusing.

No, the mc doesn't have to be or to be considered a cripple, that is too specific.
    Edit: Ah, yeah, and if you use temporary people could assume the tag is about something later on in the story. That is indeed something which would make the tag more confusing.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Haa... Alright, let's go over it... Step by step.
    Here you make a confusing suggestion.
    Here I ask you what is it that you want.
    Here you clarify you want a new tag.
    Here I try to understand what you want in the tag and ask for confirmation.
    Here you make another confusing statement, saying that I didn't quite get what you wanted.
    Here I try to understand what you want (again).
    And on those we're going back and forth on a pointless argument.

Until I (or the rest of the people that watch this thread) understand what you want, this won't move forward.

... So... I guess we're back at the beginning, just what do you want a tag for?

leegood likes this.
  19. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You've merely ignored my statements and repeated the conversation instead of talking on point and clarifying yourself what you want to understand.
    Anyway, the only reason I'm posting here is because someone usually removes new tags. If someone responsible gives me a go, I'll do it myself. Otherwise, I don't care enough.

20. leegood

leegood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She wants you to clarify what you want.
    are you asking for a new tag for Mc's that society considers a lost cause at the start?
    you have bad wording on your suggestion, causing confusion.

AliceShiki likes this.