Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    ... Alright, I'll try to be as clear as possible...

What. Do. You. Want. A. Tag. For?

Just that, I need to understand what you want. What is the purpose of the tag? What is it supposed to mean?
    Yep, we'll keep on removing it unless you clarify what you want.

Mods are most likely as confused as I am, that's why you got no reply from them so far.

2. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Name 1 series, where the MC is female, yet an important side character gets raped

MangoGuy likes this.
  3. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @douchi your posts are confusing and she's not the only one who thinks so.

These tags are enough to cover what you want based on your example. The other tags in the novel page are either because of misuse or spoilers.

Weak to Strong
    -initially weak in the story, get stronger as the story progress
    -is not limited to Hardworking
    -can also be due to Sudden Strength Gain

Hardworking protagonist
    -the term explains itself

Sudden Strength Gain
    -get powerful or gain abilities suddenly

Overpowered proragonist
    -MC more powerful than his peers or portrayed as too powerful
    -nickname: plot armor

Underestimated Protagonist
    -community look down on MC

Blitz, MangoGuy and BlancFrost like this.
  4. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    --DO NOT MERGE--
    --DIFFERENT ISSUES--
    Read @MangoGuy 's post again about the rape tag, reverse rape tag and the protagonist tag. It's simple.

Male protag + rape : rapist protag
    Male protag + reverse rape : raped protag

Female protag + rape : raped protag
    Female protag + reverse rape : rapist protag

For other mentions of rape or depictions of rape scene that does not involve protagonist, use the Mature genre. For clarifications whether it is tagged Mature due to Rape scene or there is mentions of rape in the story, use the forum search function, thread function or existing LCD thread.

No. One of the reason for a Rape tag is for warnings. Even if it was in the past, if it was mentioned in the story that the protagonist was raped, new readers should be warned of it. Even with 100+ pages in the spoiler thread and MTL that is up to date for the novel Delinquent Wife, the rape scene that was mentioned in the first few paragraphs of the first chapter and before the story starts is still being discussed. That shows how important a Rape tag as warning is even if it was a small mention of it.
    Use the forum. Discuss. NU is not the place for discussions or spoilers. Having the tag is already bordering on spoilers, don't cross it.

That is all.

5. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That isn't an explanation either but a tautology. It's really funny how all of you simply repeat that it's confusing but you can't express what particular point you don't understand.

@leegood Yes, the society does consider him a lost cause, the mc himself does not.

@LaDyViL This particular nuance is either not covered by those tags or they have a separate meaning. For instance, Weak to Strong also covers Hardworking Protagonist. It is the latter's nuance and its use in context without the Weak to Strong tag why it exists.

Underestimated Protagonists usually refers to the entire plot, while my tag only marks a short plot line that sets a part of the premise of the story, and also hints to a particular writing style.

Overpowered Protagonist doesn't cover this topic at all and rarely even appears in combination with my tag.

Lastly, people assume that Sudden Strength Gain refers to an external event, e.g. mc found an artifact or someone cured him, as I noted in my first post: "which recover not due to a new event, e.g., Sudden Strength Gain"

6. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that @LaDyViL has clarified your doubt regarding the tag?
    We don't differentiate between getting stronger by luck or talent. If it happens suddenly, so to speak, that is good enough for the tag.
    Reason being that this 'mysterious' sudden power up due to talent is also, more often than not, considered a lucky break.

Blitz likes this.
  7. leegood

leegood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all, you are also using 'tautology' since you can't figure out that people are asking you what and why you want to add this particular tag. Does it add to a reader's experience that they know of this tag? Do you even have a name for this tag? you are only giving a vague description of it, 'It's kinda like this' does not work.

For example, the weak to strong tag means that a character becomes gradually stronger, and you can judge a novel by this tag about how the MC gains powers. Your 'tag' on the other hand, does not give much of a view of the overall novel.

8. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    That would imply that you are suggesting a tag def modification,as the current one is being misunderstood. Am I right?

While your point is kinda valid, I would say that this tag would be hugely misused.
    Every protagonist is underestimated at some point in a CN....it would be too generic.

That seems like a. Confident protagonist to me..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2017
  9. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Stop being stubborn and tone down your arrogance. You come here jumping into points, and when someone asks you to clarify you argue on semantics. Not the place and not the way to endear your points to us.
    Surprisingly, I don't share this assumption and perhaps others don't too. It's just your views on it and we don't cater to one person's views.

The examples you mention can be covered by Weak to Strong tag accompanied by other tags such as the other tags but not all the tags. Why would there be a need for a tag that can just be classed with an existing new tag? Why do you want it? Clarify your points in bullets rather than sentences and make it straight to the point, please. You tend to get arrogant in paragraphs as I've seen from your previous posts in this thread.

Blitz and AliceShiki like this.
  10. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, you do differentiante and it isn't just opinion because those tags have not been set for those novels I mentioned and the rest, but only to a particular subset which as a result forms its meaning. You can use Sudden Strength Gain for that, hence extending its coverage, the others would make no sense in that regard.

And sorry, but I'm definitely not arrogant or playing semantics, it's just you not even trying to point out the issue and instead repeating the same over and over.

So you didn't even read my first post, probably neither the third one.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    The issue is:

We have no idea what you want.

That's the whole issue. We're doing a lot of guesswork to try and know what you want, but if you don't want to explain what you want, then nothing will come of it.

12. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Cool then. I feel that you are telling that the current tag def is misleading, such that the novels that you mentioned are not getting these tags.
    Valid point. I suggest that you either suggest an alternate tag def including the points you mentioned, or wait for some time till the staff gets to it.
    In the mean time, you can add the tag to the required novels which deserve the tag as per the new def, which includes sudden talent bursts(?)
    How does this sound??
    PS: regarding your wording, I would like to mention to you that if a tag doesnt exist, it means that people don't understand it's significance. Basically, we are stupid.
    Thus, to make a stupid person understand something, you need to explain stuff clearly so that we get you. Because if we get it if you just make a single sentence....I don't think we would have missed that tag over the past year or so.

13. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    There was crippled protagonist tag on NU , but it got removed. Why ? Use your logic. If MC stays crippled , how the heck he gonna cultivate. The story wont progress and author wont do this. Thus it doesnt matter if at one time protag is crippled since he will get better soon. Because of this , the importance of cripple tag is non existent.

We as reader mostly doesnt care how author writes about how MC and their cripple story. Yet you want to add few tag about of this. Unless you could come with convincing argument for adding this tag , it wont gets approved.

LaDyViL, BlancFrost and runsing like this.
  14. Medical Doctor

Medical Doctor Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They could not Understand your previous posts, why would they suddenly understand your posts if you point back at your incomprehensible posts, Explain in clear, Concise English what you want.

I will now analyze your posts.
    You say you want an 'Initially Inhibited Strength' Tag, Your wording is quite horrid though.
    You also ignored the previous poster's Statements and repeated what you said.
    Even though 'YOU' may get it 'OTHER' people might not get it when you are talking to others, you 'EXPLAIN' what you want clearly and precisely. We are not at the lab where a few keywords can be understood by your co-workers.

For example, a better version of your first post would be.

"I believe that there should be more accurate representations of tags, Weak to strong is too broad of a Tag to use as a Genre, and I would love to see Mini-tags that accurately describe what 'Kind' of Weak to strong (Including other 'broad' tags). I believe one of that tags that are missing is the 'Initially Inhibited Strength' tag, where the main character is seen negatively by society, but is confident in his own success, causing him to gain great power. "

I also would use a more polite tone, even If people do not get you, you are 'ASKING' for something, you should not demand them to unless you are a big-wig that profits novel updates, they don't have to listen to your demands. Write a convincing argument for the tag, rather than shoot down people with a blank retort and never trying to convince them.

EDIT: Do not use grammar as an excuse to shut down this post with a blank retort, It is because I am Tired and frankly, This kind of post does not need perfect grammar but grammar that you can understand.

15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    *grumbles about the like limit*

16. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I did it for yah~~

BlancFrost likes this.
  17. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What exactly? The only missing piece was a more explicit indication that I want a new tag because this thread is not just for tag suggestions, That is an edit I canceled since a user replied within a minute, saying my entire post made no visible point, so I answered to that instead.

Here's how I would've edited:
    Fixed two mistakes, and added the "gimme a tag" bit. Otherwise, the same visible points.
    You've just used a different tag as an example in a wrong way. Weak to Strong is not too broad, it merely covers its own particular plot line, namely MC\s progress from weak to strong. It also often highlighted an existing power-based hierarchy, but we have an extra tag for that now, which is a lot more redundant.

Next, mini-tags, what are those? Tags that always point to short-term events, like Rape, Betrayal, Death of Loved Ones, Personality Changes, Sudden Strength Gain, etc. As you see they already exist. Or do you mean the use of broad tags for matters of short relevance in the story line, like it can happen with Transmigration, Revenge, .. basically all tags.

The last part is just you emphasizing specific example, which I covered in the exchange below, instead of using a more encompassing definition.

>... So, essentially, you want a tag in which the protagonist overcome his crippled condition due to his own efforts, not due to some external effort... Is that it?

>Although often that is the case or you can at least interpret it as such, it is not limited to mc's own efforts. It's simply an initial condition which the reader expects to end. What's relevant is that society considers him crippled but the protagonist hasn't lost hope, yet, or didn't even have a reason to.

In other words, you didn't mention one bit that I didn't already. If no one can understand the language above, I can't really help you. It's abstract so that those unfamiliar with the trope recognize the right nuance.

I also don't understand why aside from those responsible for tag management anyone else who hasn't read any of the affected novels like Eternal Martial Sovereign, Immortal and Martial Dual Cultivation, Undefeated God of War, The Portal of Wonderland, AGM, (Sword Moved the Ninth Heaven no translation added yet), etc. would chime in.
    Those who actually recognize this plot device and could either confirm the idea or add their own thoughts, will never do so now.

18. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    Try to read my post first

19. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Aside from Medical Doctor and Leegood, everyone that replied to you is responsible for tag management.

You however seem too unwilling to make any effort to make a suggestion that other people can understand though, so... *shrugs*

20. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    @douchi please reply to this