Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    The comments are confusing... and too much arguing. Everyone seems pissed.

@douchi , I've read most of the novels you mentioned. I'm just going to type what I've understood from the above messages first, so bear with me. I may be wrong in my assumptions.

1. You want the tag initially Inhibited Strength or something similar.

2. This tag will be for those novels whose MC's are weak in the beginning, not because the MC's are untalented, but because there's something that limits/delays their cultivation. But they eventually break that inhibiting force, and rapidly grow in strength(aka sudden strength gain).

In other words, novels like Martial World, where the MC isn't actually talented in the beginning, but gets lucky won't get this tag. Some of the novels you feel should get the tag are Eternal Martial Sovereign, Immortal and Martial Dual Cultivation, Undefeated God of War, The Portal of Wonderland, AGM and BTTH.

Am I right so far? Anything important I missed?

Btw, I'm not sure whether novels like Undefeated God of War should be considered. The MC did delay his growth, but saying that his growth wasn't because if a lucky chance would be wrong. His strength grew AFTER he opened the pendant(?) with basic training and met Bing. That could be considered his lucky break. There was that talent testing round in the novel in the beginning and he was judged to have extraordinarily average talent.

I'll post what I feel about the tag, once I'm sure I've understood everything going on here.

AliceShiki and MangoGuy like this.
  2. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All I see people acting defensive, because barely anyone asked specific questions to what I wrote, and everyone is making mountains out of molehills.
    As I said, you can use the Sudden Strength Gain, but it is still too much of a different nuance for me, otherwise I wouldn't have posted here in the first place. In Portal of Wonderland, for instance, it isn't really a sudden growth. Neither is the mc truly crippled, only different but seen as trash. A Crippled Protagonist tag offers a pretty different emphasis on the situation. It is less about the trope, the premise and writing style but the state of the protagonist's character. Why would Sudden Strength Gain or Beautiful Female Lead be relevant otherwise? In every Weak To Strong Xuanhuan or Xianxia the mc will eventually get stronger and almost all female leads are beautiful. Why mention this? That is because they tell you how that particular novel is written, where the author placed his emphasis on. That's what tags are for.

Edit:
    Nope, and thank you.
    He was aware of the pendant for many years and understood it wasn't simple and actually based his cultivation on the clues he got from it, expecting something at every threshold, eventually waiting for the number to reach 1Mil. You could argue that the mc is too carefree about his situation, but, in my opinion, to the reader the premise is the same. His cultivation was inhibited because he didn't know how to progress other than relying on a particular clue to move forward.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  3. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    We have a slow growth at the start tag
    Does that fit?
    http://www.novelupdates.com/stag/slow-growth-at-start/

4. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Theoretically that would fit best, but as before, it is used for novels where the reader has to wait for the first breakthrough for dozen or hundreds of chapters. Seeing that tag, I'd usually expect a novel with a mountain of "it's too slow" reviews.
    Also, I wonder how much debate there was for this tag, it's just five novels...

5. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Fucking hell!! Am I being ignored??
    @douchi please check my previous comments.

6. douchi

douchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh, no, have you read this:
    I explained multiple times why it is possible but not a good idea. It is your suggestion so you need to see how to make it fit yourself and argue your own case.

7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for clarifying Jaded...

I don't read the genre, but the tag seems useless to me btw. Slow Growth at the Start seems to solve what he wants.

8. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Sudden strength gain is a tag. And English wise, it seems to fit right to your requests.
    As per the different nuances,NU doesn't intend to create a new tag for every nuance as it would only make a never ending list of tags. No issues, that is not an issue right??
    The thing, as is evident in this very thread,not everyone gets the nuances. This raises cases of misuse of tags. And the staff and NU in general doesn't want it.

A tag is used when the topic is too trivial but still relevant/too narrow to be termed a genre, as in less novels. Here,the tag is both vague and trivial.
    How is it trivial? As you have said, it is a different 'nuance'. And personally,I feel that the general tag users wouldn't care for the nuance.
    Is it too narrow? No. But more vague. The difference between a pure talent breakthrough,and a lucky break...in CN, it is too vague.
    It is ripe for misuse, and I would like you to reconsider.
    For example, I for one DEFINITELY don't see the nuances as clearly as you. Unless, you are able to make a DEFINITION that clearly differentiates between the other tags. If not, then you can only hope/wait for someone to make it themselves by going through your case.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    AMissingLinguist and remy911 like this.
  9. Klepar

Klepar Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there some way to edit locked genres? For example, "World of Cultivation" has the 'Xianxia' genre listed while it should clearly be 'Xuanhuan', and there is no way to edit that.

10. Blitz

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah a mod can so that.
    @runsing @LaDyViL

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  11. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A certain sneaky snake got to it already, it's been changed.

12. Blitz

Reading List:
    Link
    Snakeys too shy

13. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Hawryas

Hawryas New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've tried many times, and it's hard to erase

15. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Please clarify, I have no idea what you mean with that.

MangoGuy, BlancFrost, LaDyViL and 2 others like this.
  16. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    System... is too vague a word for tag. it leaves to much room and variables of interpretation

true, one could supply definition for it, but, it will be quite a long explanation, just to address the do's and dont's.

imho, a tag that needs a long explanations = not a suitable tag.

17. Blitz

Reading List:
    Link
    true it can definitely be misused. Game elements alone will suffice and if needed add level system

18. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    The system tag you linked to seems different...

I support the idea of scrapping the system tag as it is right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2018
  19. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm, one of these days I'll go on a tag rampage. Someday. There's probably some tags that need cleaning up, like all of the swords tags.

20. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't forget System Administrator. That tag is probably one of the most commonly used in Chinese novel settings. It's pretty much self explained too. There's a system, linked to the MC, the system administrate task and reward. Or something along these lines.