Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I have made the tag and added sukasuka, ballistic weaponry, clockwork planet, dawnbringer and death march to it.
    Now I need a definition and if anyone wants to make it more specific or something, I thought of a new name than, coldsleep. It does not matter now but just wanna give an ending to name searching part.

2. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Added this definition for now, feel free to change it if it is inadequate.
    "This tag is to be used if one or more characters wake up decades/centuries/millennia into the future and find the world around them changed."

AliceShiki and Ddraig like this.
  3. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    cryostasis is not only about 'waking up', it should also be about the 'hibernation/sleeps' too. voluntary, or lack of it (as in punishment/accident)

4. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Something like this then?
    "This tag is to be used if one or more characters is in prolonged life-preserving hibernation.
    Usually waking up decades/centuries/millennia into the future and find the world around them changed."

AliceShiki and runsing like this.
  5. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    This tag is to be used if one or more characters is in prolonged life-preserving hibernation, voluntary or otherwise, followed by waking up decades/centuries/millennias in the future and finding the world around them has changed. This tag is not limited to hibernation due to being cryopreserved. "

Ps : i wanted to write the last line as " this tag is not limited to hibernation due to being on ice. " but did not do so as it felt like i am saying ice is a drug

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    AliceShiki and runsing like this.
  6. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    once a tag has its definition/description added, it will 'stay open' (for anyone to edit) for 24 hours. after that, the auto-lock will take effect and only mods can further edit the defs.

Nimroth, Ddraig and AliceShiki like this.
  7. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i would like the tag 'harem' to be redefined.

harem MUST have people in a romantic relationship. unrequited feelings are NOT a romantic relationship. it's like how the girl you are crushing on IS NOT YOUR GIRLFRIEND.

also HAREM DOES NOT MEAN A GROUP OF FEMALES GOING ON ADVENTURES WITH A MALE. (can also be multiple members of the opposite sex accompanying one another)

FRIENDS going out is not a HAREM/RELATIONSHIP. JUST like how you are not GAY when you go out with your friends to watch a movie or have dinner after work.

the "romantic subplot: tag should also be fixed.

it should eventually lead to a confession or a relationship. meaning that there must be acceptance or rejection. if it leads nowhere, it's not a romantic subplot.

just like how you have delusions of yourself going out with your crush, it means nothing to your crush.

putting harem tags on novels where a group of girls accompanying a beta jpn MC on his adventures is not a HAREM. it is MISLEADING.

Ghost_Spawn and Otwentyfirst like this.
  8. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    first of all, thank you for your input.

next, to the business.

Harem does not mean a group of females going on adventures with a male
    -i agree

Friends going out is not a harem/relationship
    -i agree with this too, ftm

however,
    harem MUST have people in a romantic relationship
    -that's not how Harem genre works, bro.

therefore,
    NO.

also, NO to this too,
    while the current definition is by no means perfect, it properly captures the primary reason why RS was created, which is to limit people setting 'Romance' to each and every novel that has some semblance or just an instance of romantic scene.

all in all, this whole post is just a rant, no? the tone, the amount of CAPS, the bold, the underline. it is hard for me to think otherwise, tbh.
    your english is good enough, so i trust it is not that hard for you to ask more nicely, wouldn't you agree? i mean, if it were you, would you rather deal with people shouting and demanding, or people that ask nicely?

9. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    In additon to what the snake said the polygamy tag exists

10. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    what if we were to revamp the way tags are phrased? NOT ALL, of course. Only the important, oftenly used ones. instead of using 'beatifully' phrased tags, we use a strict, cold, point based

EXAMPLE / DRAFT ;

gender/count
    Protagonist: Male
    Protagonist: Female
    Protagonist: Genderless
    Protagonist: Multiple individual
    Protagonist: Seme

characteristic/details (only valid for protagonist)
    Character: Ruthless
    Character: Timid
    Character: Pervert
    Character: Aloof
    Character: Overprotective

Race: Human
    Race: Monster, Non-humanoid
    Race: Monster, Humanoid
    Race: Celestial/Spirit/Ghost
    Race: Non-biological/Object

Physical (includes attire preferences wherever applicable)
    Appearance: Handsome/beautiful
    Appearance: Plain-looking
    Appearance: Glasses-wearing
    Appearance: Cross-dressing
    Appearance: Different from Actual Age

Protagonist's 'job/class'
    Job: Healer
    Job: Necromancer
    Job: Cultivator
    Job: Side Character/mob

Ability: Esper-type (we list out in the definitions of what one should espect from esper, mind reading, for example)
    Ability: Magic-type
    Ability: Physical-type
    Ability: Cultivation-type

protagonist's romantic mates (only if got into romantic relationship with mc. else, no need to tag at all)
    Love Interest: Multiple (only if protagonist reciprocates, aka the so-called true harem. if not, just the harem genre should do)
    Love Interest: Handsome/Beatiful
    Love Interest: Ugly
    Love Interest: Loli/Shota
    Love Interest: Falls in Love first
    Love Interest: Yandere
    Love Interest: Non-human (monster girls, elves, android etc)
    Love Interest: Incestuous
    Love Interest: Older

world/ambient/setting
    World: Fantasy (limit it to magic/tolkien type)
    World: Game
    World: Futuristic
    World: Victorian
    World: Ancient China
    World: Alternate

starting situation
    situation: transported
    situation: summoned
    situation: reincarnated, single-time
    situation: reincarnated, mutiple-time
    situation: transmigrated, single-time

(we will keep the current Multiple Transported Individual tag, for the case like arifureta)

=================

as i said earlier, all of these are just examples. so some terms i used could be incorrect. but it should suffice for what i intended to present, imho.

also, if. IF we later get a sub-tag system, these type of tag would probably be easier to incorporate and sorted, imho

11. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While such a system would have an advantage of being alphabetically easier to sort and search, it risks creating too many "sub tags" making it harder to find novels for a broader theme.

For example:
    There's a tag called "beautiful". I want to final all novels with beautiful, I don't care. I may have to enter "protag: beautiful" "love: beautiful" "art: beautiful" etc. rather than just searching for "beautiful". Typing too many and long search terms is annoying.

12. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    At the very least the world classification is not up to the mark....There are already genres and it is too general to the point it is useless, for example, world : futuristic.... Just compare a space opera with something like, horizon or index.. And where would fcked up shit like shin sekai yori go?
    Where would mondaiji tachi go? It is not your tolkein phantasy.....
    Plus this change is really big so way more discussion is required

13. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    unfortunately, the series finder's dropdown list is not 'real-time', so i could not get a proper screenshot, but,
    making the tags having the same starting word could make it more neat and easier to find, imho.
    let's take magic as an example

[​IMG]

see? it is neatly arranged, right?

i did say, example, didn't i? and you're missing the point. what i want to showcase was how we could categorize the tag, not the wording/term itself.

the change is actually more minimum than you could think of. we just need to list what tag to become what, and tony could mass-replace them all

for example, Male Protagonist --> Protagonist: Male. or Older Love Interest --> Love Interest: Older. it could be done with just a flick of the finger, thanos-style

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Blitz, AliceShiki, honglath and 2 others like this.
  14. aceclover95

aceclover95 『Starry Night Translator』『Ruler of Sloth』

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to ask something, the novelupdates tags on weapons are not enough. The protagonist in the series I'm currently translating used wands for her weapons. And since I saw there is a tag called 'Sword User', I thought the tagging template would be the same and insert 'Wand User' in the tag. But then it changed the next day into 'Unique Weapon User'. The definition for that tag is 'the main character of the story uses a weapon (or weapons) that are different from those used by everyone in the world.' But in the story, wands are not unique to the protagonist.

So, can I ask for a tag called 'Wand User' or something that is more correct than 'Unique Weapon User'? Thank you.

Ddraig likes this.
  15. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Status: Hungry for Growth』

Reading List:
    Link
    IMO there's no need to add wand user unless the said character physically hit people with it. Magic tag would do.

runsing likes this.
  16. aceclover95

aceclover95 『Starry Night Translator』『Ruler of Sloth』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohh so it doesn't count as weapon unless you hit others physically with it? Okay then, thank you.

17. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmmm... It's a bit complicated... As in, I honestly don't understand why we have any weapon related tag in all honesty, but people seem to want them, so we have them.

At the same time, we tried to keep only the more relevant weapon tags live (like sword, since they are the most common ones), and put the rest on Unique Weapon User IIRC... However, I'm pretty sure @runsing didn't like the outcome of this very much, so I'm unsure on what is the way we were supposed to handle those tags right now.

As in, if we put a tag for each weapon that appears, we'll have some 20 or so novels with 1 or 2 novels on it, which is not very productive or clean... At the same time, right now we don't provide much information for novels in which people use a weapon slightly less common than a sword or a spear... I don't know if there is a better way of handling this though.

In the case of your novel though, I think Unique Weapon User doesn't quite fit it, so I guess it would be better removed... Uhn... I'm bad with weapon tags in general tbh, I'll leave it to @LaDyViL! >.<

18. Myself

Myself Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If this isn’t the correct place to suggest a new tag, I would appreciate someone telling me where to do so.
    I think there should be a “system” tag due to the recent popularity of system novels, many of which don’t have a “level system” or “game ranking system” (these are existing tags) which makes it very hard to locate system novels in the series finder.

19. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    System Administrator

Full Tag List

AliceShiki and Myself like this.
  20. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Proposal: Mpreg
    Definition: This tag is used when the universe where the story takes place has instances of male pregnancy, be it a rare occurrence or a norm. This tag is also used if there is a situation where a male in the universe is capable of becoming pregnant. This tag is only used together with Pregnancy tag if the protagonist or his partner is pregnant at some point of the story. If the pregnant male is not the protagonist or his partner, do not attach Pregnancy tag together with Mpreg tag.

Because there are instances where MC are not and will not be pregnant anytime in the story but the story takes place in a Mpreg universe. Also because other people (male) are pregnant but the MC does not, however the mpreg plays a pivotal point for the story.

Shield Loyalist likes this.