Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. gengareric

gengareric Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you in regards to goblins but for me I actually used slime as a search on syosetsu to find interesting novels since many of the slime novels have a interesting take on things from the traditional slime being the weakest and useless and instead slowly become OP or finding ways to utilize them to over come their disadvantages with ingenuity and it seems to be a fairly popular since their were more than 1,500 the other day when I was looking for novels that is why I advocated for adding the tag

oblueknighto and AliceShiki like this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmmmmm, fair point~

Well, I think the tag isn't needed atm since they can easily be found by title as Runsing said, but this might change in the future~

gengareric likes this.
  3. gengareric

gengareric Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Another story that you could argue (although not as much as The Man Picked up by the Gods) would be Divine Protection of Many God as the slime in that story plays 2 key roles as the item bag and the disguise of the MC’s alter ego (Dragon Knight) he uses to prevent others from knowing his identity and disturbing him afterwards when he would go all out, there is also Black Summoner where a slime is one of his main summoned/ tamed monsters which constitute most of the main characters at the current point of the translation. Since I only read Japanese novels there may be others so I figured it would be a good idea to suggest it as it is much easier to add the tags with a new novel than it is to go back and search for old that translation may have stopped on and then add it. I also agree that It should be mentioned in The Man Picked up by the Gods as I put off reading that novel for quite sometime and it ended up being one of my favorite novels and that would have influenced me to read it much sooner.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  4. Zaroz

Zaroz Existential Lurker Demonic Calamity

Reading List:
    Link
    @marine1corps
    I would like to suggest a tag for a certain subset of Xianxia, Wuxia, and Xuanhun novels.
    Beast Humanization - Where spiritual/magical/demon beasts transform into a human appearance after reaching a certain level of power.

I feel that it should be considered as a sort of subtag to the Beast Companions tag.
    In both
    Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi and Wu Dong Qian Kun, the MC befriends a powerful beast. However, in Tondemo Skill, the beasts stay as beasts, but in WDQK, the beasts cultivate into a human form, making it so the beasts can interact on the same level as humans.

5. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no subtag feature at the moment. It would be so lovely if there is one.... *hinthint*

So you want a Beast Humanization tag?

6. Cian-Chan

Cian-Chan Disappearing Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, there's currently a tag called "System" with one novel but isn't that the same as "System Administrator"?
    And there's also a tag "Strong from the Start" which is I think synonymous to "Protagonist Strong from the Start".

7. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Just fixed those two. In the case of the "System" tag, I just removed it... Feel free to add the "System Administrator" tag to the novel if you think it fits the novel in question.

For "Strong from the Start", I substituted for "Protagonist Strong from the Start".

In cases like this, I recommend giving a quick check at the Edit Logs, if the tag was recently added and only has 1 novel in it, you can probably remove it safely.

Arexio, Blitz, LaDyViL and 2 others like this.
  8. DBR

DBR New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel: Aiming For Harem Queen in Different World –Story of Self-Proclaimed Ordinary High School Girl Struggling in Different World– (sorry I can't post link due to insufficient privileges)

This is an R-15 yuri novel about a protagonist seeking to build a yuri harem. However the yuri tag was locked and cannot be checked. Hopefully a mod can unlock it.

9. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    is there a reason why it couldn't be shoujo ai? i've seen you replace a lot of shoujo ai with yuri too in the last few days. may i hear the reasoning behind it?

10. DBR

DBR New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To me, shoujo ai is an ill-defined tag. Here are how different people interpret that and the yuri tag:

- Yuri has lesbian sex, while shoujo ai only has chaste romance.
    - Yuri is romance with on-screen confession/kissing, while shoujo ai is "more than friends less than lover"
    - Yuri is fanservice groping/ecchi aimed at male demographic, shoujo ai is deep emotional romance aimed at female readers.

As you can see, we are badly in need of a better definition, or scrape the shoujo ai tag altogether. A third of GL novels on here have both yuri and shoujo tag, proving people's confusion. It's a needless distinction that other database sites have started to remove (VNDB, all the doujinshi sites like exhentai or nhentai, all the boorus such as Danbooru or Yande.re, ALL the official licensed manga and anime are tagged yuri, and of course the Japanese/Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese/Thai themselves only call their GL works yuri). Shoujo ai (lit. "Pedophile" in Japanese) is a poorly made-up term of Bakaupdates era when weeaboos tried to distinguish between F/F romance and F/F smut. This is obsolete on NU because every novel is already tagged with Romance or Ecchi or Smut when applicable, be it hetero or gay.

I plan to make a discussion thread about this soon. For now, I still keep the shoujo ai tag on novels that falls into the "more than friends less than lover" variety, while everything else with a canon lesbian should have a yuri tag. Especially if there is a physical aspect in the novel.

Shio likes this.
  11. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    what i would like to know is why you think it should have been yuri, but not shoujo ai. and by studying your reason, i could then decide whether or not the recent changes made as another case of ill-informed and therefore warrant a reversal, or instead, done by a 'real reader' of said genre.

as for whether or not you should make a thread about it, that's your choice. however, i do recommend you to pay a visit to these two threads
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/thre...n-ai-and-yuri-shoujo-ai-into-bl-and-gl.58486/
    and a bit older, https://forum.novelupdates.com/thre...-love-shoujo-ai-and-yuri-to-girls-love.51398/

AliceShiki likes this.
  12. DBR

DBR New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I'm aware of the first thread, since I have been pointed to it after a recent conversation on the forum.

My reason for the yuri tag of this novel is because there is explicit lesbianism, with fading to black sex scenes. The MC has a special ability called "Harem Queen" that makes girls fall in love with her while decrease her appeal in men's eyes by half, and she loves it.

Please trust my judgement, because I have been a yuri fan for 14 years and am very involved with the community. I'm the founder of Yuri Project manga scanlation group, the co-translator of the LN Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku and VN SonoHana Michael no Otome-tachi, and a moderator on Danbooru - the original booru imageboard, famous for its extensive tagging system.

13. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry i'm late to the Quick Reincanation topic but...
    in Quick Transmigration tropes, the MC transmigates to a different worlds/character in every tens chapters or so. So for example, MC can be in a modern showbiz world, and in the next arc MC is in a wuxia, then they moves to a western fantasy world, then e-sport world.

My question is.. considering most of the tags is used only if it applies in the majority of the story, does the tags apply to Quick Transmigrations or should it all be deleted?

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    NU's definition is a lot simpler than that. In NU Yuri has explicit sex, shoujo ai has not.

Do I think that makes sense? No, this is a pretty annoying split and I really want it to just become GL instead.

Unless you can magically chance Tony's mind on the matter though, nothing will happen. Feel free to make a thread on the subject, but until a change happens, please follow the definitions according to NU's standards.

15. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    <.<
    Pfft "massive addition"
    Its fine. keep doing what your doing. So long as you don't oversaturate a single novel with a ton of tags and there relevant feel free to add them

Ddraig likes this.
  17. Zaroz

Zaroz Existential Lurker Demonic Calamity

Reading List:
    Link
    Another thing that I think should be changed is the how the 'Gender Bender' Genre is used. Right now, it is used to encompass both cross-dressing and actual gender-changing. For example, there is no mention in the tags of whether the novel invelves a female MC cross-dressing as a male or a MC who was originally female transmigrating into a male body. While this might seem as me just being picky, this distinction can determine the content of a novel to a large degree, such as the sexual orientation of the MC and the subsequent love interests in a romance novel.

18. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    For pure gender bender novels just check wether it has the crossdressing tag or not
    Then just check whether the novel has the female protagonist or male protagonist tag
    whether the novel has shounen-ai/yaoi or shoujo-ai/yuri tag

You can search for what you want using the series finder by excluding or including the above genre

Otwentyfirst and AliceShiki like this.
  19. Pachia

Pachia Go At My Own Pace~

Reading List:
    Link
    :cookie: Should there be a new tag for BL harem? The novels under Reverse Harem tag already pop up some BL harem novels, it confusing :blobdizzy:. (Especially makes me have expectations that there are more reverse harem novels :blobamused:.) So should there be like another tag to differentiate between the two?
    I actually quite like BL harem :oops:, however my little OCD does not want to allow the confusion and expectations.

20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem + Yaoi should be enough to know it's a BL Harem I think. Reverse Harem shouldn't even be allowed at those novels IMO.

Blitz likes this.