Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back when I was active in my tag cleaning days, I checked it daily to see if anyone was daring to add stuff I removed back! xD

Blitz and Nom de Plume like this.
  2. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s just called being thorough ;)

Blitz and AliceShiki like this.
  3. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Ehem, Hello guys Ddraig here. I am here to propose creation of a new tag, which as of know I am temporarily gonna name "Artwork inside" (pssst suggest some names)
    The tag comes into picture (wordplay - pun points yay!!) when a novel contains significant amount of pictures in it other than cover art. So those novels that have a single random picture (like say a map) in the whole volume series do not count. This tag is required as some people prefer reading novels that have pictures in them and not just words. This tag also helps bored nuffians who want to see some nice official artwork but do not know which series' have them.
    The only thing about this that I feel is undecided is that should oneshots who have artwork in them be counted? I am assuming this shouldnt be a big deal either way as oneshots with artwork are a super rare breed.
    I am proposing this tag not only for nu but also sh.
    This post was inspired by https://forum.scribblehub.com/threa...ere-so-can-we-have-a-comic-tag.356/#post-9371

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    kenkikishi likes this.
  4. kenkikishi

kenkikishi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, I have always wanted [Illustrated Novel] to be an actual category used by the industry, hence I'm suggesting this name :D

However, as a tag, some other name that I think is appropriate would be :
    1. Interstitial artwork/illustration/image/graphic
    2. Chapter artwork/illustration/image/graphic
    3. Scene artwork/illustration/image/graphic

5. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
  6. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not in favour of this tag being created. Firstly, NU would absolutely not want TLs to steal/use pictures without the permission of the artists. As such, any fan TL has the rights to host their translation but not the pictures in the LN.
    Even if we don't consider the legal aspect of this, I don't believe that atleast in the case of translated novel people don't care for illustrations. Sure, getting that random artwork is ok but I don't believe any reader is specifically on the look out for novels which definitely have a picture per chapter or something. It is just not the priority of the average reader of NU. This tag adds nothing as far as description of story goes, and it doesn't differentiate between official art and some random ones posted online by the TL. Thus, the quality of the artwork is also not guaranteed.
    I am ignorant of SH so I have nothing to say about it.

7. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    "significant amount of images."
    - how much actually for it to be 'significant'?

"This tag is required as some people prefer reading novels that have pictures in them and not just words. This tag also helps bored nuffians who want to see some nice official artwork but do not know which series' have them."
    It is quite rare for a (asian) webnovel in general to even have any sort of artwork, unless it have other incarnations, such as games, or published novel, or drama, etc. Basically novels with 'adapted to..'' tag.
    Let's take ISSTH as example. Among the reason why it even has artwork in the first place was thanks to it being adapted into a mobile game. One other reason was because WW hosted a contest for fanmade artworks some time during the translation periods.

Same situation goes for perhaps 99% of japanese webnovels. If a translated webnovel has any (illustrations) at all, it is usually;
    • a work by an established/experienced author. For example, Kamachi Kazuma. His new novel already got a cover illustrated by a doujinshi artist even when it's barely started and wasn't compiled into a volume yet.
    • it was adapted into other incarnations. Most often, being published into a Light Novel. So the translator imports the illustrations over, and insert them appropriately into his translations, trying to mimicks the Light Novel

illustrations (in general) cost money. So you would be hard pressed to find webnovels, written by non-professional author with it. Perhaps having illustrations/artwork is more common practice among western (webnovel) author, but to eastern, spesifically asian's non-pro webnovel authors, (syosetu/qidian/17k/munpia just to name a few) it is very, very rare.

Another reason why i think such tag is uncessary is because, NU actually does list "illustrations" entries within a novel's own listing (example).
    Therefore, i'm more inclined to request for @Tony to allow us to include this "illustration(s)" as an option in the Series Finder page. Afterall, that 'word' is already in the database. We just need a proper way to find it.

8. Ripple

Ripple Notice me Daisydacrazy senpa

Reading List:
    Link
    Somewhat curious about what's the difference between clan building and sect development? While looking for something to read I found a novel that had both

Nom de Plume likes this.
  9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *tries checking their definition*
    They seem like the exact same thing to me... I propose merging them.

Blitz likes this.
  10. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    Clans usually have the same surname or considered a family.
    Sect is like an organization that takes in disciples

runsing and Nom de Plume like this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    They're some differences but many novels use them quite liberally so we can merge them.

12. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Proposal:
    Organization Development

Encompassing the building of martial organisations like clans and sects, this tag is NOT to be used in relation with the building/development of a business organization or in the building of an army, for which Business management/family business and Army building tags may be used respectively, as per the case. The Organization Development tag is to be used when the protagonist spends considerable screentime in the building and/or development of martial organizations like sects or clans. The protagonist is necessarily expected to either found the organization, or development it to exponential heights as the plot progresses.e

Nom de Plume likes this.
  13. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Just an image to show where he is talking about it.
    09FB468E-CE58-443D-8AD8-8DFAF136F528.jpeg

I’ve seen this too.

14. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh, i find the word 'organization development' (OD) strays a bit from the 'thinkable' usage. what i mean was, the phrasing is unfamiliar, and is not something that'd come to mind on first or second thought.

also, OD has potential of conflict with Business Management and Organized Crime.

the problem with our current tag system is we use too many different wording. management, building, development.

instead of merging, i prefer to clean up novels where the Sect Development or Clan Building is shallow, or in some cases, replace them with Kingdom Building.

Nom de Plume, Shio and MangoGuy like this.
  15. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Say, aren't most novel with picture = printed novel = LN?

I agree that it might be useful, but then again not all translator can/is wiling to scan the picture.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  16. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    i thought werebeast are humans transformable into a beast/animal, and vice versa? example werewolves, werebear and the like? wherelse beastkin is simply a a race, mostly very human-like, save some animal characteristic like tails, furs, etc. was it not like that?

Nom de Plume likes this.
  17. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I realized it midway, which is why I deleted the last post.
    Most of demons in Chinese folk tale are often portrayed as having animal characteristic and could transform at the same time, I kind of forgot that it's different in western countries where there's strong distinction between the two.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  18. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    Animal Characteristic tag were a result of merge from nekomimi, inumimi, kemonomimi, fangs, slit eyes etc, if i recall correctly.

werebeast otoh, were a result of merge from several 'were' tags
    from my understanding, wereX in western literatures are usually associated with curse/lineage (as in, it was not by choice)

not sure how much of original difference between beastkin in asian literature perspective vs western, but the line is very blur now, i think. or at least i can't think of any right now.

we also have Transformation Ability tag. it should be different than wereX, where this transformation includes demonify, or dragonification (is that even a proper english word? ) , basically a transformation into other type of entity by choice.

Blitz likes this.
  19. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    yes

20. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    i thought this means "character with toothy grin" (cute little fang trope) and "character with narrow, slit-like eyes" (like pokemon brock) and mourn for admin job to clean up such tiny detail tags like this.

Then i realized.