Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont see the problem in adding such a tag when there is a decent group of novels under it but the tag name makes no sense. It might be obvious to people who read such novels but it is gibberish to majority of the peeps. I dont think it is a good idea to add the tag until a better name is decided for it.

2. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's so many titles that need them. Redundant or not, it's needed.
    Shoot your suggestions. Summon the translators. My vocabulary is limited. I'm too used to Unlimited Flow that I can't come up with anything else

FelicitaScarlet likes this.
  3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    No, world hopping is not spending your whole life, it's completing a task and going to another or back and forth. Spending your whole life there would be a reincarnation story.

Seriously, shounen ai should be a romantic novel and yaoi should be the mature equivalent with actual homo-erotic sexual content. It's like adding ecchi and mature to a smut novel as tags.

I've never heard of UF and i could come up with manifold alternatives, but it wouldn't be accurate as i'm not familiar with it.
    Never-ending story for instance comes to mind, drawn-out too, depending on if it's milking the novel *cough* MGA *cough*
    It's fine to just use UF , just create an introductory topic for it like they did with seme/uke gong/shou or whatever and create some awareness.

MangoGuy and FelicitaScarlet like this.
  4. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If there's no more suggestions for the term to use, guess we'll just go with Unlimited Flow until a more suitable term is agreed upon. When that happens, we'll go beg the lizard overlord to use his privilege and change everything to the new term.

5. MaxWhite

MaxWhite New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello,

I went over a couple pages of this discussion, and I believe this is the correct place to post this(If it isn't, I beg your forgiveness).

The tag "God Protagonist" has a mistake in the definition(That yellow box that comes up when you hover your mouse over it).
    It says that a "main character can be considered omniscient".
    However, omniscience means "All knowing" or "All seeing".
    "Omnipotent" is the word to use when you want to say "All powerful"

FelicitaScarlet likes this.
  6. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    So when tags are defined, they are not just literal definitions, but definitions which describe the usual usecases in series listed on NU. I am assuming that God characters are basically those who pretty much know it all, in terms of strength and knowledge.

However, if you feel like the series tagged with God protagonist seem to have a different version of this "godlyness", then I suggest you to propose alternative definition in line with the current use of the tag

7. MaxWhite

MaxWhite New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While I definitely see your point, the issue is that the quote reads like this:
    "The main character is a supernatural entity with enough personal power to be considered omniscient. Power level varies greatly(from the 'god of wind' kind of god to the 'one and only' type of god)"

The entire thing discusses power, not a character's ability to know stuff.
    And most of the series that are tagged with this tag have protagonists made of pure densium, so knowledge is definitely not their forte...

An alternative would be splitting it to different categories, though I've not read enough titles on NU to make any suggestions on what exactly the split would be like(Hell, the reason I saw this tag in the first place was in a story that no longer has the tag, so the tag isn't even there to bother me anyway), **edit** not to mention that there are already multiple brands of opmc that cover any sort of split, so the tag kinda seems redundant...
    I will mention that there's no "ascended protagonist" or "divine protagonist", which might be a better fit if you have an MC that is a literal god.
    Though both don't really fit, since Western thinking put both divine and ascended in the lawful good corner of the alignment chart, while in the East, both are just terms to talk about "so far above human it's not even funny"...

Yeah, okay, I understand why it's not a valid point

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    FelicitaScarlet and MangoGuy like this.
  8. leprosus

leprosus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello
    About 50% of the newest japanese novels are related to the theme "Too late" or "Expulsion", I think that It might be a great idea add one of those to the tags list.

Thanks

UnGrave likes this.
  9. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you please explain what those things mean? They sound like generic words to me tbh...

Blitz, AliceShiki, Calahan and 3 others like this.
  10. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I was thinking something similar. Most of the novels I've seen on syosetu recently are tagged with "ざまぁ" so I think it's definitely turned into its own tag. There was even a story that I was reading that got all meta and started talking about the "too late" (もう遅い) curse caused by kicking someone out of your party.

At the very least I'm shocked there's no tag for "expelled from hero party"

11. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Would the average reader know what that means?

AliceShiki likes this.
  12. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd at least expect the average reader to know what it means more than those Chinese words I still don't understand. Perhaps at the very least a tag for "expelled from family" and "expelled from party" would have enough use cases to warrant using. These are the current trends, though I'll leave it up to you guys to decide what to do.

leprosus likes this.
  13. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    rejects...outcases...the forsaken...chuuni-bait

14. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    ok see now you are starting to make some sense! A tag which describes an event where the protag is thrown out of their family/clan/party. That is an interesting premise for a tag. Is that the only tag under consideration? I think there were two tags quoted by the OP...

This particular tag looks really interesting. I don't think any current tag really covers this subject. But do such incidents have any impact on the story? Does it imply revenge? Or does it imply a need for validation? I think it would be really helpful if some of the series with these tags in JP can be shared, so we understand exactly what we are talking about.

15. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I think asking for a "too late" tag would also be valid given how many stories like that have been popping up, but I can't think of a better way to name the tag in English that the mods would accept. It would cover generally stories were the character is hurt in some way, then when the other party tries to make up with them it's too late and they are cut off.

Recently though I feel like getting any sort of change is a very uphill battle here so I don't want to put in too much effort thinking about it.

16. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    You are right that getting tag changes done is not easy on the grand scale, but it was never supposed to be easy. You can add tags whenever you want, but to avoid creating clusters of tags which don't make sense, this system is currently there. Earlier, there were tonnes of useless and hyper specific tags.

For example, the description you gave doesn't really seem like a plot point... That's just a vengeful protagonist imo. All that is needed to create this tag is a reason why it should exist, rather than proper nomenclature.

Once you convince people that this tag should exist, which generally would take a maximum of 10 exchanges or so I suppose, everyone can butt their heads together to come up with a user friendly nomenclature.

Maybe a tag request format would help? Like, similar to what we have for LCD? Or would it instead constrain the conversation?

17. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    imo it has nothing to do with vengeful protagonist and if I saw that tag on any of the stories I'd probably remove it.

18. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok so could you let me know how it is different? Maybe take a couple of examples of existing series?

19. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    The MC doesn't care about the ones who lost their chance. They've moved on, so the other party is basically left to their regrets of not valuing the MC during the time they had their chance with them. Usually they will lose everything, though it's not a requirement.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/no-one-believed-me-if-you-say-you-believe-me-now-its-too-late/
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series...-way-this-is-how-you-use-your-magic-you-know/
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series...ndent-effects-at-the-knees-of-the-demon-lord/
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series...chiito-koodo-soosa-ga-bakemono-sugiran-da-ga/

The hard thing to convey is that it's the current trend, so a lot of the "too late" genre is currently being uncovered from the sand by translators. You'll see a lot more of it being TLd if the current popular page of syostu is anything to go by.

20. leprosus

leprosus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Expelled protagonist" might work well, even for casual readers and it's a good substitute for too late IMO