Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mods can't handle everything as like everyone, we have limited views on some matters. Don't worry about being a bother. We welcome all discussions on tags, as long as everyone remain civil.

Some novels' tags have gone pass 30 in total, there are also those with 70+. Though it might limit the search function via tag, this is unfortunately a necessary evil. Imagine opening a novel page and scrolling down only to have to scroll across a length of tags. This is especially taxing on mobile. In fact, it might even cover the sensitive tags with the huge tag dump on one page. Therefore, there might be a purge on some tags that are redundant.

2. WeaselLord

WeaselLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, the skills tag was apparently taken away a few days ago because it was used in a ton of novels, so now there are the "Skill Books" "Skill Assimilation" and "Skill Creation" tags, but, there are some novels where there are skills but none of those apply, like if there are no game elements, just skills that people can get but no level or stats or anything (also, Skill Books and Skill Creation could be used in a lot of VRMMORPG novels, but aren't). Also, if none of the current skill type tags apply, then the only way to find that type of novel is through game elements, which doesn't necessarily have only that type of novel (with skills)

3. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    An example of existing novel on NU, please.

If we are preparing for future novels, the number of tags would exceed two thousand. Right now, just focus on what we have on NU.

4. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you list down some novels so I can review these special cases?

5. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    the skill tags are not necessarily only used in novels set in a game. if you want to add these tags to non-game stories, you are welcome. The same applies to vrmmorpg.

6. WeaselLord

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I know there are a bunch, but to be honest I have read so much that I can't remember for certain which novels are which, so I will have to look through using the game elements tag to refresh my memory to give you some examples, but there will be some perfect examples I will miss because it's been too long since I last read those ones and I can't remember what type they were
    So, this isn't really what I was talking about, but Divine Protection of Many Gods is a weird case, since the divine protections are sort of like skills but sort of not, but it has game elements like stats and HP and level
    Dragon's Bloodline also has skills (I think, might just be Divine protection but I scrolled through a few chapters just now and I think there are skills) but it doesn't have skill books, skill creation, or skill assimilation so it has skills but only the game elements tag to indicate it
    Another weird one is In a different world with a Smartphone, since the non-attribute magics might as well be skills, but since they are technically magic they aren't counted as skills, and that novel has no game elements like HP or level or status, so it's just a weird exception
    Dungeon Hunter is a good example, it has skills in it but it doesn't fit under any of the current skill type tags, so it only has game element
    Gourmet of Another World also has skills (again, kind of a weird one but they are called skills in the novel) but it doesn't fit under skill assimilation, skill books, or skill creation.
    I’m a NEET but When I Went to Hello Work I Got Taken to Another World also has game elements tag, and it has skills, but they don't fit under the "skill books" etc. tags.
    These are a few examples, there are more but I don't have time right now to search through looking for example novels.

I just found another one so I am editing this in, Epoch of Twilight is another weird one, it definitely has game elements, but the skills are more like proficiencies (I think they are called skills though), and again, it doesn't fit under any of the skill type tags

Spearmaster and the Black Cat is another one I just found that has skills but doesn't fit under any of the skill type tags (it has game element tag though)

Found a really good example, Evil God has skills in it but they don't fit under any of the current skill type tags. AND Evil God doesn't have the game elements tag (it does have a status screen but I think it only ever shows up like once or twice, so maybe game elements should be added? I'm not sure)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  7. WeaselLord

Reading List:
    Link
    Will I get in trouble for adding the cultivation tag to the novels I notice are missing it? (I just noticed The Great Ruler doesn't have it, so I imagine a bunch of other novels are missing it too) Or is there a reason that cultivation tag isn't on those novels (i.e. that tag will be removed soon)

8. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone can add tags so long as its relevant. I guess most people don't feel like a cultivation tag is needed since series have the xianxja,wuxia,xuanhuan genre. You can add it if you want

BlancFrost and LaDyViL like this.
  9. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    WARNING : LONG POST

I've been busy to type a long post, but I haven't forget of this. So, here's my views but before I start, what you have to understand regarding my views is if there is Game Elements, then a Skills tag is not needed as Skills is one of the element covered with the tag. It doesn't need to have all the elements of games like HP or Titles.
    Game Elements is enough.
    Magic is Magic, with attribute or not.
    Game Elements is enough.
    Explain.
    Game Elements is enough.
    Game Elements is enough.
    Maybe. I don't read it.

All these are my opinions. However just because I say a tag is enough does not mean you can remove other tags already at the NU page. Unless you have read the novels, don't go and use my words as the go ahead to remove existing tags.

Those that I say Game Elements is enough, I have read them and skim through most of the released translations. So, I can say the Game Elements tag is enough for what the novels covers.

Unless there is a concrete reasoning why a Skills tag should be added, I can't agree with adding the tag in the tag list. If we start with Skills, then we'll start with Status Screens. Then with HP-MP. Then with Stats Distribution. Conclusion, I think it's enough having Game Elements tag as it has already covered all the commonly accepted games' elements.

@Lord Blitz has answered this question for you.
    You can add it if you want, but I feel like it's a redundant tag if there is already a Xianxia/Xuanhuan genre. If there is ever gonna be a purge on novels with many tags, Cultivation tag with Xianxia/Xuanhuan genre novels will have the Cultivation tag removed.

This is a request of mine, that I hope by all means please try to accomplish. If you intend to have a Long Post, paragraph punctuate comma space break line your sentences accordingly so it won't be a huge wall of text. Put some effort and consideration in it. Not just here, but most every other place, if you wish people to spend their effort with your work, you have to first spend some effort with the work.

I will read it even if it is a wall of text because I take all matters concerning NU Tags seriously. 45 minutes for this post, including checking all the novels listed and its content with my snail internet. However, not everyone is as lenient as me. They see a wall of text, they'll just ignore it.

BlancFrost, Blitz, MangoGuy and 2 others like this.
  10. WeaselLord

Reading List:
    Link
    So, this is pretty much just in response to the Gourmet of Another World, I think that it fits under the "game elements is enough" category, but the reason I said it was a weird one is because the "skills" are called skills, but they are more like either just a recipe or a martial arts technique (the knife thing).

Before I say more, I want to clarify that I am not super passionate about bringing back the skills tag, I don't really care about it, I am just trying to be helpful. So, what I was mainly trying (and supremely failing) to say, was that there are novels where game elements tag applies but skills tag wouldn't and vise versa, and although I can't really think of any examples right now for skills apply game elements don't, I AM ABSOLUTELY SURE that I have encountered it before, but I don't memorize all of the tags for every novel I have ever read, so i have no idea which one(s) it would be. But with game elements applies skills doesn't apply, there should be plenty

11. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    While you might be right, unfortunately, without examples nothing will happen. It is the policy. You have given a reason why the tag should exist, but so far that reason is not strong enough. Only examples will further strengthen it. Take your time.

LaDyViL likes this.
  12. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Proposal:
    Pregnancy:
    This tag is to be used when either the protagonist, or one or more than one of the sexual partners of the protagonist gets pregnant during the course of the story. This may lead to the usage of the Childcare tag in the future. Please note that the pregnancy period should get its due importance in the story progression for this tag to be used.
    Instead of :
    This tag is to be used when either the protagonist, or one or more than one of the sexual partners of the protagonist gets pregnant during the course of the story. This may lead to the usage of the Childcare tag in the future.

LaDyViL likes this.
  13. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link

14. beefy765

beefy765 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, I added the definition of Game Elements like, two minutes after the feature was added, wasn't even thinking about skills in it because of the skills tag and because status screens in novels usually show skills and abilities.
    Evil God is another Game Elements is enough, protag opens up a status screen early on, he just doesn't really throughout what is translated of the series because its a maxed status screen so there's no point in continually showing it, possibly just as of yet though.
    Lastly, for some reason the current definition of the Slaves tag just says: test. Suggesting: A person who is the property of another and is forced to obey them. Tag should only be used if the Protagonist is a slave or slavery is commonplace in the story.

LaDyViL likes this.
  15. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Religion:
    This tag is to be used if the setting of the story involves a religious organization, such as a church or something. It implies that individuals of this religion take part actively in the plot, and their actions are governed by their religious beliefs. Please note that there is a separate tag called Evil Religions. Also, if the said organization is not necessarily religion based, then please use the Evil Organizations tag.
    I would like to add at the end:
    Note that this 'religion' need not be something that exists in the real world.

16. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for your input. However, the definition is lacking. People might question its legibility. If you can think of a better definition, we're open to proposals.
    Probably some member with itchy finger....just you wait until I find who messed with my tags *polish ban hammer* ლ(`∀´ლ)
    There are slaves who are not forced in the listed novels with this tag. Slavery a crime is our view, there are novels with world/time where slavery is common and/or accepted. Example is Charging Magic with A Smile.

There is also a Slave Protagonist tag which makes the second line unneeded. Fufu, makes one appreciate those guys who can make definition that doesn't conflict with another tag in the Tag List, right?
    So if the MC is transported into another world, got upgraded to be a Saint for the (insert other world religion) and fought to spread the word and gather the following for it, this tag is not valid?

17. alexfilia

alexfilia Bromance & Fluff <3

Reading List:
    Link
    btw @LaDyViL sorry if i'm asking in the wrong thread but how do you see the tag's description?

18. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    alexfilia and LaDyViL like this.
  19. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    This link might help you.
    http://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/2344841/

Basically, go to a novel page on NU, hover your cursor on a tag.

Or.

Click on a tag. In the new page, there is arrow button near the tag on the page where you can see/edit the tag definition accordingly.

alexfilia and AliceShiki like this.
  20. alexfilia

alexfilia Bromance & Fluff <3

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you! ....I was looking for it for a while now

small question can anyone edit or add to the description? (are there any requarments for editing?)