Discussion Clichés You Hate?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by writtenforcup, Jun 4, 2021.

1. writtenforcup

writtenforcup i wanna fffff

Reading List:
    Link
    We've already talked about clichés we love, but now, I want to know what clichés you hate.

I hate clichés where the unpopular kid gets two of the most popular boys to like them. This is usually a problem I see the most with shoujo novels/manga/manhuas. For example (not a novel, but still) the manga Waiting For Spring. It basically centers around this 'unpopular' girl who catches the eyes of the F4 of her high school. The beginning was really, really good, but then, it just fell apart for me. Especially when the male leads fell in love for like, no reason.

Some novels like this are:
    - Villain Days (I'm still reading this but I'm really close to dropping it lmao)
    - I can't think of any others lol

I don't normally encounter these types of clichés in the novels I read, because I normally gravitate towards the cold, tyrant ML and strong MC who slowly fall in love, like:
    - The disabled tyrant's pet palm fish
    - The reader and protagonist definitely have to be in true love
    - Reborn as a system

So, yeah! Tell me which clichés you hate, and (if you want) novels that have those clichés.

Until next time~ Cup

aintg and KizunaAi like this.
  2. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhm... I hate the trope of FLs getting the help of ML(s) to smash down all their enemies and then getting praised for being amazing or whatever!! :blobtriumph::blobtriumph::blobtriumph:

Reack, boketto, aintg and 2 others like this.
  3. wasntbornyesterday

wasntbornyesterday Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate those cliches where the ml, is an obsessive pyschopath while pretending to be cold. They get in the way of the plot but people still simp for them because they're "good looking".

Reack, purit2006, aintg and 2 others like this.
  4. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    Cliche i hate are:
    - Arrogant young master that would get defeated early only for their entire family to antagonize MC.
    - Cold beauty that fall for MC even though MC is just like any other guy (from my perspective)
    - FMC having to be saved by the ML/ MC having to save FL
    - MC that "only does something if he is confident" but actually only survives cause of plot armor
    - MC that doesn't explain his actions causing him to attract enemies
    That's all i can think of maybe? I don't know if those are cliches or not.

5. writtenforcup

writtenforcup i wanna fffff

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh my god, I hate that so much, like, just do it yourself. It's not that hard to slap a b*

hahaha, I think that follows a [looks > personality]

aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  6. Grey_Angel

Grey_Angel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    enemies fall in love :blobwoah:

writtenforcup and aintg like this.
  7. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Women in romance novels generally are kind of incompetent, which I hate.

8. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    The cliche i dislike is that men get slaughtered but women get let go, just for being female. Not just novels, but videogames too, Yakuza series you can't even fight a woman, one makes gangs, triads, hitmen and everything try to kill MC, they all get put down.
    Finds out the culprit was a girl, warns her to better her life and walks away. Bitch no, i want to piledrive her into the curb.

9. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    cliches I hate:
    -characters just falling in love for no reason or when they just met.
    -characters having no common sense/Iq whatsoever (mainly the MCs or the side characters)
    - Looks > personality
    -MCs or the FLs getting praised for being amazing being able to stand up for themselves, when in reality they rely on the ML
    - Characters being so overly kind to everyone and doesn’t seem to have a bottom line

10. unsungsilver

unsungsilver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a lot of ones i hate:
    - First romance interest = main romance interest (mainly harem series, but i prefer single romance which has a lot of characters and i usually find the later heroines more interesting)
    - this is coupled with the first point, but i hate those series with a strong male protagonist that gets partnered with a female that just screams "protect me" an example would be Goblin Slayer, think the series itself is kind of meh, but i do love the protagonists obsessivness with killing goblins, but i strongly dislike the priestess.
    - Sometimes i just want the character to remain broken! No need for healing/fixing them and make them more sociable/normal person (goblin slayer and some others i dont remember the name of)
    -I HATE THOSE MASKS THAT JUST COVERS THE EYES!!! BUT THE HAIR AND STUFF STILL SHOWS! I HATE IT SO MUCH! Usually since i find them ugly/silly as hell and i just can't take it when the characters are "who is that!?!"
    - and the last one...... if the food tastes bad just say so, then you can just have a co-op cooking session or someting to get closer.

aintg and aShinyVaporeon like this.
  11. KizunaAi

KizunaAi Cookie Lover ~ I love fuwa fuwa dolls ~

Reading List:
    Link
    Strong FL become weak and can only call ML when she is in distress

Reack, purit2006, aintg and 1 other person like this.
  12. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MC gets beat down, but just let go by villain for no particular reason. There was that isekai where the MC a convenience store clerk or the one where the MC becomes a black devil where this transpired and it was so jarring compared to the prior good setup that I just stopped.

My bar is not high. If there is a plot reason to let them go or intervention from another character or even a vague prophecy, then I don't mind it. But if the antagonist just wants someone to fight later on or doesn't feel like curb stomping him on a Tuesday, then they wrote themselves into a corner. Heck if the villain is in a hurry to a bigger goal, then it makes sense.

13. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    -MC who regress to the mental age of a 10yo once the ML comes along to pamper and take care of them.
    a supposed genius suddenly turns into a two year old who has to get permission for everything or 'not worry their pretty little head' about whatever and the person being treated this way doesn't see anything wrong with it.
    -MC/FL who always have to be rescued, usually from the consequences of their own actions
    -a male MC whose brain turns off the moment a female gets within 5 meters of them (prevalent in a lot of cultivation and Isekai novels)
    -harems/ bad romance. I would rather a good, solid story with no romance to a good start that turns into a terrible rom-com farce with as soon as the love interest(s) is introduced.

14. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't actually care too much about the weak FL trope, it just annoys me a little to see that there are way more weak FLs than MLs.
    As for harem members falling in love with the protagonist, I have a high tolerance for this considering love is kind of weird anyway.

Things I get annoyed with:
    -perverted or harem-seeking protagonists, doesn't matter whether they're male or female. How do people enjoy reading about them drooling over <insert name here>'s butt every other chapter?
    -extremely flat characters. Not the kind that seem defined by only one personality trait, I mean the ones that try to be different from the other characters but act exactly the same. This points to those arrogant young masters and harem members that are so forgettable they blur together.
    -brushing over jerk love interests being jerks. This can be intrusions of privacy, like trackers and secret cameras, or non/dub-con. I don't mind when this is properly addressed such that the MC points out what's so wrong about that action, or when it really did have a good reason, but when the novel kind of just goes "oh, it's ok if they did it, they love the MC" it really ticks me off.

aintg likes this.
  15. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    The most annoying cliché for me atm really is the time travel that so many second chance stories use at the start.
    At least 90% of the time I just end up thinking that the story would have been more interesting if it just continued from the "bad end" instead, either from the mc being saved in the last moment or being revived/reborn without going back in time.
    Part of this I guess is that I also don't really like the whole cliché of the mc "knowing how the story goes".

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Reack, Wolfie-bigsister and aintg like this.
  16. Deleted member 283793

Deleted member 283793 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm tolerant on mostly everything but it irks me to no ends when the author writes a transmigration novel where the FL becomes the original novel's villainess and is vehemently hated by the ori!ML, who is always like, "You disgust me; I hate you so much!" And goes around hanging out with the not-so-pure white lotus ori!FL. But once, FL decides to save her life from the plot and goes her way, he is all like, "Hey ori!Villainess, no matter what you do I will never even look at you!" And then, he falls in love because he lost a loyal dog who followed him around with admiring eyes(plus his overbearing possessiveness can't handle FL being nice to others).

What is indeed worse than this, is when the author decides to make him the ML again. How is one supposed to read a good romance novel when one of the two main characters is annoying beyond measure?

Reading these sort of books, I really wish I could knock some sense into FL and smack that brain dead moron of a CEO ML for being so cheap as not to even have pride enough to follow through with one's words. If I ever transmigrated into a novel, I won't survive, but I really wanna just to slap these bastards.

Reack, AmethystCherry, aintg and 2 others like this.
  17. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem I have with those kinds of tropes is that while I think they could work in theory, they also would require a level of writing well beyond what I would expect from the people that want to write them.
    It is pretty hard to expect nuanced characterization of problematic characters if the author don't recognize the problems in the first place.

18. sorenman1

sorenman1 The Forgotten Engineer of Legends

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate when everyone expects the MC to solve all their problems instead of solving it themselves and the MC thinking he wants nothing to do with it but does it cause the plot demands it. Like let the man alone so he can enjoy his adventure in peace

Reack, daoki and aintg like this.
  19. wasntbornyesterday

wasntbornyesterday Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Another trope I hate is when theres a strong l but deal with thier own problems and I also hate those that are tsunderes even when they're a couple and are just bad at being tsunderes because they're annoying

aintg likes this.
  20. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    All male mcs ending up with a harem is super annoying female mcs get loyal man that only loves them then men are pigs

aintg likes this.