Resolved CN-EN-CN names...

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by MonaLily, Nov 10, 2018.

1. MonaLily

MonaLily Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello translators! so i was reading a novel, the novel is in a fictional historical setting, like king arthur or robin hood kinda setting.
    1. The main city is called "亚伦兰迪斯", which obviously it's a world play on "Atlantis" (亚特兰蒂斯).
    2. And then there's this tribe called "艾尔逊" which is also a play on "Amazons"(亚马逊)
    (the author also admits they just messes around with the names of IRL places/lore/history)
    So how would you "retranslate" back the names to english?? Arulandes? Yarulantis? Erizon? Airizon? or just go with the pinyin?? like it's obvious the names are fictional and based on non-chinese languages.

and then even worse the protagonist's(male) name is “伽尔兰", well my mind automatically read it as "JiaErLan" but a second later i realise 伽 can be read as "qie2" "jia1" "ga1". so what is it?? Charlsen? Charlan? Jarlan? Jaren? Cherran? Sheeran? Sharon? Garran? Garron?

'cause usually translating foreign names, chinese translate it phonetically (unless special occasions) for example:
    1. 伊丽莎白(YiLiShaBai) - Elizabeth
    2. 达芬奇 (DaFenQi) - Davinci
    3. 赛琳娜·戈麦斯 (SaiLinNa GeMaiSi)- Selena Gomez
    But there's also exceptions
    1. 赫敏 (HeMei) - Hermione (shortened the translation 'cause it's too long)
    2. 麦格 (MaiGe) - McGonagall (shortened the translation 'cause it's too long)
    3. 伊利丹·怒风 (YiLiDan NuFeng) - Illidan Stormrage (Illidan is phonetic and stormrage is translated with the original meaning: mad wind / stom rage)
    But how does it go backwards?? Now the names are created in chinese language but the names have obvious english(or western/non-chinese) origins in it. What would you do if you encounter questions like this?
    (idk if i'm making myself clear or not. lol)

Astaroth likes this.
  2. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    Either you go from what word closer to original (ex = Arlantis) or transliterate it directly (ex = Erizon). Make sure adding tl notes about the word play tho.

Garland

MonaLily and Astaroth like this.
  3. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Whatever you do, definitely add TL notes or you'll get comments who think you're stupid

MonaLily likes this.
  4. PoopyDoopy

PoopyDoopy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Contact the author, it would be a quite interesting conversation.

5. Scrya

Scrya Lurking all day long~

Reading List:
    Link
    The author of MDDYA does wordplay on names a lot. I usually go with a word similar to the original. I don't leave any TL notes about them though, unless they're really hard to catch. I mean, if I had to spend time understanding the pun/wordplay, then my readers should too! :blobhero:

MonaLily likes this.