Resolved [CN] help with meaning - Resolved

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Corensi, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Corensi

Corensi Maiden of Purity

Reading List:
    Link
    对那个男人,他似乎从来就没想明白过,无论是他们第一次见面时,到最后为何会发展成那个局面,还是现在这一刻,他似乎都从没想明白过关于那个男人的任何一件事。

So I kinda get the point that the persona doesn't understand that man, but I'm confused. Is it saying he never "wanted" to understand the man? (Because the character 想 can mean "to want," right?) Or that he plainly never understood him? Also, it's followed up by this line:

或许他们天生就注定不是一路人。

Which may mean that the two of them were destined/doomed to always be strangers. Or am I wrong? Are they destined /doomed to not be strangers?

Since if he never wanted to understand him, then it would make sense thinking that they weren't destined to be strangers.

QwQ I'm sorry it's a lot. But I'm really confused. I'd really appreciate any help

2. restiaest

restiaest Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Towards that man,its just like he never understood,be it the first time they met,or to the very end where it reached this situation, or at this moment ,he seems to have never understood anything about that man. 没想明白 can be more of not (没)understanding (想明白- think clearly).

Hope it helps :)

Corensi likes this.
  3. suncust

suncust I love all fluffy things! ~

Reading List:
    Link
    对那个男人,他似乎从来就没想明白过,无论是他们第一次见面时,到最后为何会发展成那个局面,还是现在这一刻,他似乎都从没想明白过关于那个男人的任何一件事。

Towards that man, he have seemingly never really understood him before, no matter from their first meeting, to why it has developed to this state at the very end, or at this very moment, he has never understood any single matter regarding that man.\

When using the term "没想明白" it refers more to have never thought (没想) to understand (明白), 想 is more think or thought. If you are referring to "to want" it would be more like 想要

或许他们天生就注定不是一路人。

Perhaps they are destined to be people walking on different paths in life.

This whole paragraph is more like trying to say that Person A has never truly understood Person B, therefore leading to all this trouble and then ultimately he reached the conclusion that they just might not be destined to be together

Corensi likes this.
  4. Corensi

Corensi Maiden of Purity

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm, that makes much more sense, really. Thank you! You really helped me understand it more.
    Ahhh, thank you so much too OwO You even explained it. Again, thanks for the trouble