Question [CN] translating modern internet slangs

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by MonaLily, Nov 13, 2018.

1. MonaLily

MonaLily Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i always struggle translating internet slangs/memes lol. every time i encounter them, i'll try to keep the meaning as much as possible but kept it pretty funny/memeful, sometimes i even replace it with another slang/meme with similar meaning. I feel like i want to retain the tone of the author. But sometimes it's too hard to do that lol. I find it very common in modern web novels (transmigrations, online game based, etc.). usually the slang is used to make the situation funnier or to break the fourth wall.

你像哪块小饼干?- which snowflake do you think you are?
    好了陈独秀请你坐下 - Okay, Mr. Showoff sit down now.
    孩纸你扶错墙了- you're barking up the wrong tree.
    吃瓜群众 - eating popcorn / sitting on the fence

i'm not good at english slangs so it's such a pain to translate them.
    i know the meaning of these, but i don't know how to convey it well.
    1. anything that has to do with “逼”, 傻逼 二逼 牛逼 逗逼 装逼 : dumbass, emotional binch, fcking awesome, ???????
    2. 大猪蹄子 - to tease men who are dense / slow to realise things (esp. relationship)
    3. 拿小锤锤锤你胸口 - (lost in translation)
    4. 抱大腿 - throwing away all your dignity to flatter someone
    5. “我就坑死你” - (lost in translation)
    6. 脑洞 ; 脑补 - my brain hurts ; Head Cannon/wishful thinking
    7. 大大!带我开车!- (lost in translation)
    8. 走过最长的套路就是_____的套路 - (lost in translation)
    9. “天啊!他想日你!” - "well he wants to pork you."
    10. “让我皮一下” - playful / mischievious / pranks people (but saying it in a cute way)
    11. 棺材板压不住了 - something along the lines of "Newton did not die a virgin for you to defy laws of gravity"
    12. 强喂狗粮 - being forced to watch PDA
    13. 心机 boi - meaning putting a lot of thoughts into something. can be good or bad (being attentive/considerate or tricky/cunning)
    (share some of your previous experiences dealing with internet slangs too!! what kind of translations did you come up with?? what's your experience dealing with slangs like these?)

anyudr likes this.
  2. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, basically those who eat popcorn/just watching the fun.

https://www.quora.com/What-does-坑死你-mean

I think this one means to cling/rely onto someone else, kinda like a sugar dad/mom. But also in like some novel where the MC is weak and the ML/FL or some side character is OP, they'll cling onto them to protect themselves.

But like you said, it's a lot easier to understand what something means than to actually convey it. Usually equivalent idoms and sayings work the best from what I've seen, but otherwise you could just add a TL note.

MonaLily likes this.
  3. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    逗逼 joker
    装逼 poser
    I thought 大猪蹄子 is used to describe men who were not loyal to their girls?
    脑洞; 脑补 Simply "imagination" for example 脑洞大开 = mind-blowing, because it is outside your imagination or 脑补= use one's imagination.
    大大!带我开车!or 老司机带带我 or 带我装B 带我飞 you are doing something awesome please take me with you. or please show me how to do it.... something like that...

my question is how do you translate 啪啪啪 to make it sounds funny.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    MonaLily likes this.
  4. SisConEcho

SisConEcho Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. “逼” on its own means pussy, but when used in conjunction with other words does not invoke pussy related stuff.
      It's used like an injection, like bloody/fucking 傻(stupid) 牛(awesome) , 装逼 is different tho coz it use to describe, ppl who fake coolness
    2. 拿小锤锤锤你胸口 - girl hitting ur chest softly as a way to play with you
    3. “我就坑死你” - I'll kill you
    4. 脑洞 - 脑洞 usually come with 2 more words later meaning wow, u so creative ;
    5. 脑补 wishful thinking like when you watch a regular
    6. 大大!带我开车!- big big is what you use to call someone that you respect out of sheer skill or ability, like im a big big at watching hentai, that 带我开车(bring you driving), as in the process of showing you the ropes, because after you drive for some time, you become a (old driver ie skilled)
    7. 走过最长的套路就是_____的套路 - this is wt popular now, eg, light make up from Kr
    8. “天啊!他想日你!” - "OMG!! he wants to do you."
    9. 棺材板压不住了 - guy is so angry he's rolling in the grave, eg, some n00b talk about E=MC^2 wrongly, and Einstine rolling in grave,
    the rest you're fine
    source: me and the 逼s I know

MonaLily likes this.
  5. lp

lp New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. 傻逼 - literally dumb fuck when said when the characters are fighting fighting。逼 itself in all the words with the term is just there to complete the phrase so it really depends on the meaning of the other character. There's no one absolute way to translate them o v o
    2. 大猪蹄子 - can mean a guy is a playboy/unfaithful/unloyal depending on context. Basically a term to diss man haha
    3. 拿小锤锤锤你胸口 - the action of hitting a person's chest with your fist(? Or whatever you're holding) aka the way you hit drums with the sticks
    4. 抱大腿 - like sucking up to someone so that they will take you under their wing. I have no idea how to properly convey the meaning too qwq
    5. “我就坑死你” - anything along the line of I'll make you suffer
    6. 脑洞 ; 脑补 - like sisconecho said, it's not really possible to translate these characters on their own. Again, context, so for example, 脑洞好大 means something like his imagination is insane/it's mindblowing. 我可以脑补后来会发生什么了 I can already imagine what will happen next. 脑洞 is kind of like an idea/thinking of someone and 脑补 means completing an unfinished story/making up a continuation to something on your own.
    7. 大大!带我开车!- 大大 can be literally written as Author! Author! coughtobecutercough. 带我开车 can mean bring me along was you write your story/let me follow your story(??) but 开车 can also mean the author writing those rated scenes in the story which I have no idea how to translate too @v@
    8. 走过最长的套路就是_____的套路 - I can't keep up with your tricks/what you're playing. This one is tough but here's kind of what I concluded from hinative(dot)com/zh-CN/questions/389440
    9. “天啊!他想日你!” - do/bed you
    10. “让我皮一下” - also just let me have some fun
    11. 棺材板压不住了 - this one I'm really not sure but it seems to be kind of something like someone did something so wrong (e.g. something so simple/common sense part of thing) that people can't hold themselves back from doing something to correct it?? Literally the dead will be so angry that they will come out of their coffin. 棺材板压不住=coffin can't keep them inside. There is that newton translation you mentioned bc this joke started from newton then became a widely used thing for teachers, etc but the translation is definitely off haha
    12. 强喂狗粮 - 狗=单身狗=singles so yep, anything about being forced to listen/watch/whatever a couple being lovey dovey!
    13. 心机 boi - scheming/sly boy. But this is usually a more affectionate term so depends on context again if there are other options

Hope this helps!! It's really not that possible to fully convey the full meaning for this kind of thing but just change to suit the context best whenever you can. Things like 么么哒,你是辣鸡(cute/alternate way to say 垃圾 bc they sound similar in chinese) and icantremeberanythingelsenow cannot really be fully translated as well in the sense that the tone and cuteness will be affected so oh well _:)3 」∠)_
    p.s. I can't post a link at the moment so do change the "dot" to the correct one to view

MonaLily likes this.
  6. aoiisora

aoiisora Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MonaLily likes this.
  7. anyudr

anyudr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Happend to see this. Top100 CN Internet slangs in past 10 years.
    (I might try to translate them later.)
    [​IMG]

Cian-Chan and Tea Fragrance like this.