Discussion Computer-assisted Translation software

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kuro_0ni, May 12, 2018.

1. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    So lately, I've been bouncing around at translating tools. (I thought about it in the past [2015ish])
    Like when I was reading on Baka-Tsuki and Bato.to (I use to use Translation-aggregator)
    but now its kinda outdated.

So yeah I was looking at tools associated with compiling and organizing texts and simplifying the process so I can translate(as a hobby). I'm still learning languages as a hobby. Just because I'm more focused with my full-time job(It's serious labor) at the moment.

And because 5 days out of my week I usually am physically exhausted. I just want my 1-2 days of rest to be hobbies. and so whimsically I want to translate a few chapters for my personal reading (and possibly post them).

I'm researching CATs like MemoQ, Trados and stuff. But cost-wise is a pain. Anyone know a few good Computer assisted translation softwares? Anyone using software for their translations?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I want to easily save my projects on something. I used to hobby translate using translation aggregator and used an excel spreadsheet to line by line my translations. But I've been out of hobby translating for years, so i'm just rusted at the moment.

2. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, So I'm a bit peeved, that no one responded. But I can understand that, not many people aside from job translators or freelance translators would have exposure with these tools.
    Memsource.png
    translating.png
    Web editor.png
    Cat.jpg

On a side note, I'm not picking up anything. I was just browsing some dead novels and felt like filling in the chapter gaps.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well here's my opinion, CaTs are great for group translations and you can assign works to groups of translators.
    Also you can come up with unified term bases and expressions for specific works.

At the start of this thread, I went with Memsource, After several reviews on google, yahoo, bing searching.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So CaTs being a thing, I assume big business like QI may employ this software as a tool for its translators.
    I am not sure if any other translator group uses CaTs, but I would very much like to here your guys opinions.

Clozdark likes this.
  3. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mm...I use JGlossator in addition to your usual MTL websites like google translate. The MTL websites give me a general idea of what the sentence might be saying and JGlossator helps me break apart the sentence into bite-sized segments that I can string together into something coherent.

But when it comes to the compiling and organizing aspect, I just use MS Word with macros to remove the moonrunes after I'm done. Nothing particularly amazing but I'm not professionally translating either.

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  4. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    I just use 4 windows.
    One for the RAW.
    The other for the Text (MS WORD)
    One for Dictionaries (and Kanji recognizer)
    One for Google (for researching thesaurus and idiom definitions online like Weblio or Kotobank or HiNative).

Also, if LN, the physical books placed nearby.

Kuro_0ni likes this.