Computer processors

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Miss Ruby, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Miss Ruby

Miss Ruby 『Candy Floss』『Black Blood』 『❄️Ice Princess❄️』

Reading List:
    Link
    So I have a lenovo intel core i3 computer. I've had it since high schl, it's 7-yrs-old, lovely and about to die on me lol. So i decided to get a new one.
    Real reason is, my readers will prolly have my head if I suddenly can't translate. Q^Q

When i got to the store, I saw that they had many intel core wtevers and Amd ryzen blah blah blahs. I got the AMD Ryzen 7 cuz it was cheaper than its counterpart and new to me. But I'm just wondering which processor is better. Is intel core much better than AMD Ryzen or is there no difference?

Even tho the Ryzen was cheaper than the intel, it was pretty expensive and I plan to use it for a long time so I want it to be worth my dime.

The sale person told me that the difference ain't much but I took it with a grain of salt.

EDIT: I did not just buy a processor, I bought a whole new computer.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Why're you asking after you bought it?

3. Viken

Viken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First off, you are in the wrong forum for this thread, so you might want to move it. Lol.

Secondly, Intel is still hands-over-fist better than AMD Ryzen when it comes to processors. They have more power, faster speeds, and my Intel Core i-7 has lasted me 5 years now without a single issue.

Now, it's the other way around when it comes to graphics cards. I prefer Radeon graphic cards. Lol. The thing is, you'll need to make sure your motherboard can support newer CPU's, and RAM too.

4. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    wrong place to post at for starters.

and if im not wrong. ryzen is good for multitasking. intel is good for one thing at a time at maximum efficiency

Passerby likes this.
  5. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    This isn't novel general but technical forum under general.

As for if there is a difference, not much really. Before ryzen, AMD used to focus on more cores but had less IPC. They thought that apps would go into multicore direction, which they did but too slowly as most common programming languages are not written asyncroniously and used hacked in solutions for multiple cores. Thus it is rare for an app to use more than 2 cores.

In this way, AMD processors were much slower because most things couldn't take full advantage of them.

With new Ryzen architecture, AMD processors are pretty close to Intel ones on IPC while still offering more cores. (Thus more future proof as games move onto using DirectX 12 and Vulkan)

The only place Ryzen falls behind is on laptops which is due to the fact that their laptop drivers are not fully matured yet. (though they have been improving)

Edit: Forgot to mention, newer intel processors are more gimped as they moved hyperthreading away from i7 to i9.

6. wtfkjp

wtfkjp ASDFGGWP

Reading List:
    Link
    if you are going ryzen
    i suggest you go for Ryzen 5 2600 with the best "price over performance" processir, sure Ryzen 7 is faster (if its 1X00 series, not worth, go with 2X000 series) and the best part for ryzen, is the long term AM4 architecture support, that means you can use your motherboard for the next coming generations of AMD, unlike in Intel youd need to change mobo for each generation change.

I personally prefer Intel if id buy new pc, but there were no reason its just where i grew up,
    but you just cannot ignore the advantage of current generation of AMD cpus

7. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    intel is best still.....both in processor and graphics chipset compared to AMD on laptops coz most of the time the graphics chipset is of the lower variety....AMD is better in PC.....

8. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    The line has gotten really thin nowadays.

otoshi-god and Passerby like this.
  9. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    imma not sure if you bought the cpu only or wit other compartment, like a suitable motherboard, ram etc...

10. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's an article comparing CPUs. While its discussion is specifically regarding gaming, you can still glean some general info about several flavors of CPUs.

11. wtfkjp

wtfkjp ASDFGGWP

Reading List:
    Link
    basically its just this

if you got the budget, and want premium service
    go intel

if you want it cheap but also want it fast
    amd

both cpunare too fast nowadays that you wont feel the difference (unless you go 4k or do rendering jobs)

Passerby likes this.
  12. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly they're not that different if you buy in a normal price range. You can only compare two directly. The brand doesn't significantly affect things.

Bobby24 likes this.
  13. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    The real question, why did you buy just CPU?

You want to change the CPU inside your computer or something? That's not possible, it's likely not to be compatible. The sockets are definitely different. Since you already bought the CPU, you have to buy case, PSU, GPU, motherboard, rams, cooling system if it doesn't come with your CPU and some other accessories. Those things need to be compatible too.

14. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    If the computer is just for translations and office, then it doesn't really matter what you get since you are not going to use it full capabilities.

Sabruness likes this.
  15. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    You have a 7 year old i3 CPU. It's likely to be 3rd or 4th generation. It is definitely not compatible with Ryzen 7. Since they don't even use the same socket nor in the same generation. Your parts will bottleneck your Ryzen 7, you might as well use the i3.

Sabruness likes this.
  16. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    +1

I was in a similar situation recently. My 7+ year old laptop was getting slow and had issues with anything beyond web browsing and videos and i was advised that you cant really upgrade a laptop beyond a new hard-drive, ram and *maybe* graphics card thus it was easier and better to get a whole new laptop instead.

17. Reyrey

Reyrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Laptop with only Intel i5 8250u as the cpu and gpu are weaker than ryzen 5 2500u. Basically any Intel laptop that didn't use any nvidia or amd graphic card is weaker than amd's ryzen apu.

18. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whichever you choose, it'll be better than the i3.

That is...assuming that you get the Intel counterpart to the Ryzen 7, which is an i7 I believe.

...which fetches a premium, as expected. I'm perfectly happy with an i5 myself...

What you should really be paying attention to is your storage options though. Modern CPU's mean nothing if the rest of the hardware can't keep up.
    - Go with a NVMe SSD if you want windows to boot up in under a minute from power on to using the desktop.
    - A SATA SSD will give you like a minute and a half boot time.
    - And if you're given like 4TB of HDD, don't take it even if it's dirt cheap. You'd be waiting like 5 minutes for the OS to boot.

These times that I cite assume that you've been using the computer for years and you've been installing all sorts of weird junk that slow things down a lot.

I have no suggestions on the video card. Yes, that will also make or break your experience but I tend to favor cards that can compute on the side instead of render trillions of triangles so my suggestions are more scientific-based than gamer based.

Passerby likes this.
  19. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Intel simple direct faster

20. WoShiDi

WoShiDi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link

As for Intel is just clock speed and wide support since it has been dominating the market for at least for the past 10 years. For AMD Ryzen is a new product since 2017 to match and take some market shares back and give competitive price to performance for their products.

Just to check are you buying a desktop or laptop?

If its a desktop get ryzen since they are going to use the same AM4 socket support until 2020 with cheaper motherboards and processors.

Best to get a boot drive load from SSD and storage in HDDs