Discussion Cool Character Names

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Cosmic_, Sep 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    So I was thinking of a cool and mysterious name for my chuuni MC for one of the novel ideas I was planning. I was deciding to go with Nameless and his fake name being John Smith. Got any recommendation for a last name (Nameless _____) or just other first/full names for an MC? You also don't need to even be thinking of names for my MC either. Just list any character names you found cool from novels, anime, manga, etc. Like Zero, Blank, Joo In-gong, etc.

For those wondering about the novel and MC's story. Here's the summary of the idea so far.
    Pretty much our closet chuuni MC is an ordinary high schooler who meets the Author and finds he's the MC of the novel. He and the Author hang and create a cool chuuni OP backstory and has Author(God) writes/gives him a bunch of cheat powers and items. MC then lives a OP modern school slice-of-life romance comedy story with parallel worlds, him giving friends cheats, and having fun like in Inou Battle.
    Our loner protagonists starts as a senior/last year high school-er is walking down the street to school reading a paperback book while listening to music with earbuds(he still pays attention around him since he's not and idiot and has experience walking while distracted like you do). The streets are empty since it's the still dark in the early morning and he still makes sure to stop and look when he crosses the street. When he stops at the crossing and looks at the street, he think, "Wouldn't it be nice if Truck-san came and took me to a fantasy world with a cheat-like power or if some god accidentally killed me and let me reincarnated as the crippled young master of a sect with some divine cultivator technique and heavenly artifact? Though, I guess if that happened I'd miss the new chapters of my favorite novels. Plus, the protagonists often times have to suffer for the entertainment of the readers. Well, maybe not in OP MC slice-of-life romance novels." Through a few small setup events, he ends up at the closed local pool in the middle of the night by climbing the fence. He meets a man, who he assumes is in charge of cleaning pool or something, that let's him stay and the two sit on the edge of the pool dipping there legs into the water. There they have a small conversation.

They talk about things like how the MC never liked the pool or beach much when he was younger. He says at first it was because he was embarrassed he couldn't swim at his age even though it wasn't a big deal even at that age. Then it was him becoming self-conscious of what others would think. Then as he grew up and had to go to the pool or beach with others (his families, old friends, classmates), he felt excluded or separated. Soon, even when he learned how, he has already disliked the pool and doesn't see the appeal of swimming besides just moving around in water. He does however the pool when he's alone with his thoughts. The conversation then moves to his fears and worries for the future as he nears the end of his school year as well as then later to his interesting in manga, anime, novels. He talks about how he feels that literature and music is the one blessing he truly appreciates and is one of the single things that keeps him thinking the world isn't so bad. He talks about what it would be like to be a protagonist or main character of a novel. The good, the bad, and then onto chuunibyou, escapism, prayers, dreams, and wishes. "I've stopped being chuuni, well mostly, because I realize that I'm not special. I realized that I can only try to become special. Yet, in this game of life, you'd either have to be lucky enough to be special or... believe yourself, lie to yourself, that you are. I guess I'd have to play the game to find out which I'll become. The world is just a crappy game or a promising book that went downhill. I've already given up on reality..... though I'm still holding out for a miracle."

The conversation ends with the old man asking him if the world was a novel and he was the author or OP MC of this story called life. The MC smiles and says, "Then I'd fix the game. I'd rewrite the story. I'd bring back the color it had when I was young. To all those that had stopped seeing it. I'd grant those wishes and make miracles happen again." The man smiles too in response and says good night as he stands up to leave. As he stands up and walks out. He has to pass our MC and when he's walking pass while behind the MC. He pushes the MC into the pool. As the MC panics and wonders why he can't seem to move and is at the bottom of the pond, he ends up in a blank white space where the old man appears again as the Author and tells the MC that he'll be the Protagonist. He tells the MC that now, it's time to have fun. It's time to give the MC some made up super mysterious background, OP powers, and cool identity. His job then is to just return and tell a fun story.

The story essentially becomes an OP MC story with slice-of-life game action fantasy elements where the MC uses his new powers to create another side to the world where superpowers exist. Kinda like the world in The Gamer, but the MC is the one that gives powers/cheats. It'll be a mishmash of genres where it'll probably start off as a school slice-of-life with the MC having fun and giving people/friends powers. Exploring parallel worlds. Creating a city in a fantasy. And just whatever. To be honest, this sounds like a mess of ideas that won't turn out well with this much stuff so I'm just narrowing down to what I want to do. Like if it'll be a Dao of Magic type, Gamer type, No Game No Life type, or Inou Battle type. Thanks to those that spend the time to read all of this.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  2. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    tl;dr plz.
    summary tsu long desu.

King0Mik likes this.
  3. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it's less of a summary and more of just what I was planning. Let me change that.

4. LysUltima

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, blank is cool because:
    Sora(空) = sky
    Shiro(白) = white

but when you put them together, they read kuuhaku(空白) = blank

maybe have another character (female lead) and do something similar?

Cosmic_ likes this.
  5. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shade, Grey, Kuro, Shiro, Weiss, Schwarz
    Edit: Jermajesty(jk), Mot(death), Allen, Bruce, Roger, Tony, Clint, Hank

6. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I like that. I'll have to think/look up one since I don't know Japanese.
    I also know that Shora's and Shiro's surname is suppose to be Nai.
    From wiki:
    Shiro and Sora's surname was said to be "Nai" by the author.[2] This can be interpreted that their surname is literally Nai or that they have no surname, as Nai (ない)? in Japanese means none (which is likely a reference to 『  』)

7. LysUltima

Reading List:
    Link
    Those two first words...

If it was "Fifty, Shade, Grey," it'd be worse...

8. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Lswarmruler

Lswarmruler 『Anya, The Cutest Esper Loli』《Spy x Family Manga》

Reading List:
    Link
    Mc from Sword of the Stranger has cool name and match ur character: Nanashi (means: no name)

10. LysUltima

Reading List:
    Link
    You could also do an English one with a compound word and a name that sounds like it.

Here's an example:
    Nameless

MC's first or last name = Naim
    Heroine's name = Lys

Naimlys = nameless

Cosmic_ likes this.
  11. wonderer

wonderer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So is the MC flashy, as he reverts back to his chuuni old self, or does he stay the loner archtype he is now?
    also you could just get the words for things you like but in another language, like latin, greek or japanese.
    but heres my suggestion for a name, Quantro.
    that it i hae nothing else, i'm bad at naming.

12. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Namenlos mean nameless

13. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    Danis the coolest name i ever know

14. Amble Dream

Amble Dream A Dream that Lost Its Identity

Reading List:
    Link
    Orion, Drago, Fausto

I have bad naming sense >.>

15. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    Thuth of Physics!
    in short "Trophy"

16. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Will Smith. I am legend.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  17. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    He's still a loner archetype, but he'll become(more like acts as) the mysterious loner transfer student. There's going to be side/heroine? lead that's the president of a club (probably book club or just a club for people that do nothing like Inou Battle, Chuunibyou anime, D-Frag, SoS Brigade, etc) who with her club members and her will be kinda be investigating supernatural happenings that surround our MC. It's going to be a novel where there's multiple POVs and multiple other lead characters with there own stories linked to our MC. I want it to be like an Inou Battle type foundation with a secret world like in The Gamer and where the MC acts like a Haruhi Suzumiya (but more chuuni and aware) where the world revolves around him with people being dragged in to the fun. I want it to be an expansion type story where we start with MC and him getting his powers and changing the world, him playing pretend as a still "normal" high schooler, then expand to the club that expores the supernatural world, the secret world where espers, time travelers, superheros, aliens, and fantasy exists, to parallel worlds.

Kinda like the multiple genre insanity of:
    Higawari Teni ~ Ore wa Arayuru Sekai de Musou Suru ~

18. Nekone Rin

Nekone Rin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a little difficult to just think of generally cool names, so it's probably not the best idea to just ask for any kind of name; after all, if the name doesn't fit the feel of the character, it's not really going to stick.
    I'm not going to read the whole novel idea because I'm lazy, but you're going to want a basic idea of what your character looks like and their actual personality, as well as things like their nationality (someone with an American background isn't likely to have a foreign name like Xi Hu, after all) and the circumstances they were named in (were they named by their parents at birth? Did they choose a new name at some point? Are they a slave and had someone chose their name for them?). After you do that... well, it's basically just trial and error, in my experience. Throw names at him until something makes sense.
    Also, try not to get too attached to the name since it's possible you might just discard it later if you find something that works better. I've gone through maybe three names I thought were really fitting for a character before (and it's still inconclusive) because sometimes you just get hit by inspiration and/or boredom.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  19. Agecaf

Agecaf Grand Archmathemagician

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the cool stuff must be the nickname, title, alias. Like, he could be Jaime Lannister, but people call him "the Kingslayer". There's also "the Hound", "the Mountain that rides", "Daybreak Blade" etc. I think these are examples from Game of Thrones, but you get the idea. Let the name be something plain-ish, but then give your MC a badass title that follows their reputation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.