Core Operations Engineer

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by ZhaWarudo, Nov 6, 2017.

1. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    I've got testing for this job soon and I asked what to expect. Recruiter told me some database knowledge would be useful but mostly logical thinking and not programming. Has anyone been to this sort of test, is it like I would have to make a mindboggling triple join or something?
    This is from the ad :
    This is a diverse team, so ANY of these is a plus:
    • You've been introduced or you've worked with most popular database engines such as SQL Server, Oracle or MySQL. You understand the basics, know where to look when a database issue presents itself and you have experience with SQL language.
    • You have experience working with various programming tools, preferably Java IDEA's (IntellIJ, Eclipse, NetBeans) and you understand essentials of object oriented programming paradigm.
    • You know how to manage and work with Windows Server OS on basic level.
    • You understand basic terms in IP Networking.
    • You have experience in software deployments and integrations. You are willing to embark on short-timed travels around the world for an on-site deployment or consultation.

2. lohwengk

lohwengk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Based on the ad, what they want from you is enough expertise in one of these fields to immediately get going right from the start, as well as enough basic knowledge of the other stuff mentioned to be able to communicate with the other team members.

Based on experience, what HR wrote in the ad and what the line manager / team lead wants from you often bear little relation to each other.

All we can do is wish you good luck.

3. raltzero

raltzero Last Year Until BS in IT | Lazy Overlord TL

Reading List:
    Link
    I think HR is really looking for the first two options. People in the tech circles usually already know bullet points 3 and 4.

The last bullet point might be relevant, but it's probably not something you specifically would be employed to.

Good luck~

4. roriconknight

roriconknight Exiled Member of The Lolicon Society

Reading List:
    Link
    well, i could only say, grab some maven/gradle and orms such as nhibernate/ibatis.. at least, for a background.

It smells online service/web service oriented thingy.

Good luck pal!

5. roriconknight

roriconknight Exiled Member of The Lolicon Society

Reading List:
    Link
    oh, and don't forget those ER diagram will be useful. Though triple joins are less likely unless they want to make report or something.

6. Gatsu

Gatsu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just be yourself and everything will be fine
    :sushi_bye:

7. Needhydra

Needhydra Everything is on Fire

Reading List:
    Link
    for the sql stuff just grab sqlite for java or what ever language you program in and mess with it that will teach you the basics of how to use sql. but please take a online course or watch a youtube series that teaches sql. its easy to wipe a database and that will probably get you fired.

8. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This sounds a hell lot like devops...

But then again, many of these job titles are arbitrary - there's never been any kind of standard on what to call a position in tech.

9. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the job is about monitoring networking of their web service platform.

10. lohwengk

lohwengk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're monitoring stuff, then you'll be looking at a lot of log files. If they want you to know SQL, that probably means they write their logs into a DB. Usually, that means a FREE DB. Of the 3 DBs mentioned in the ad, the most likely candidate is MySQL. I doubt if they'll need anything too fanciful, but you may want to look up how to manually optimize joins (i.e. rewrite joins into a more efficient form). I suspect you'll also need to dump results out to text files and do text processing as well. That may mean Perl or the typical UNIX text processing toolkit (shell scripts, sort, awk, sed, etc.).

ZhaWarudo likes this.
  11. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, you are, in essence, a network administrator?

Why'd a net admin have to know about Intellij Idea? Can someone tell me?