Coronavirus advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Vanidor, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is pretty much radical bullshit lies. I've seen malarial reduction campaigns declare an area "Malaria free" only for the area to be reinfected within a decade. When you are dealing with a vector that can fly by itself and has a mind of its own, "PUT IN MORE EFFORT" is a dumb method of trying to limit spread. These things are like litter, it's an ongoing pacification effort, despite some people (whom I shall not name) believing that "effort = results" without the concept of "diminishing returns".

2. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Current version is unlikely, but mutations that weaken it or less likely strengthen it are possible. Since most mutations are disadvantageous to the virus a lot of things burn themselves out, but not everything.

And my point is you can do the things in my post months before it might potentially hit your area unlike gloves/mask.

3. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    Where did I say anything about treating areas? Most people die of Malaria because they don’t have access to cheap antimalarial drugs. The cost is something like 10 cents a treatment but often get marked up to $4 or more in places. Yes there is diminishing returns, especially fighting nature.

Feel free to correct me that everyone in those areas has cheap access to near unlimited treatment.

4. PedoBear Version 2.0

PedoBear Version 2.0 「 Lvl. 69 Legendary Pantsu Hunter !」

Reading List:
    Link
    Ha! Your weakness disgust me!

Thankfully that puny virus wouldn't faze me anymore.
    Afterall,Why should i fear getting infected when I already had it in the first place? :blobjoy:

Loni4ever likes this.
  5. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Find me a 10 cents a treatment drug that wasn't from 1840. 10 cents these days you can't even pay someone to cross the road for you, much less manufacture drugs.

Not to mention trying to wack out specific diseases like malaria only is dumb because it leaves things like dengue or microfilaria untouched. It's better to treat the areas to prevent mosquito breeding and get all of them at once.

People like this "we still get problems because of government (greed/incompetence/indifference)" because they either have an anti-establishment bias already and it tells them what they want to hear or that they have a simple problem solving mindset and that if the problem isn't solved, it must be due to maleficence and nothing like a massive underestimation of the trouble of problem solving.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  6. marids

marids Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Do not go outside or visit other people unnecessarily, and especially avoid groups and crowds when possible, such as when shopping or using public transport. This is to avoid coming in contact with as much potential sources of infection as possible.
    2. Buy lots of cheap canned goods in bulk while you can to last for 2+ months. Because while prices aren't high yet, they will be as most major global production and trade will be (are) disrupted by the virus, particularly food and other cheap daily products since they're mostly produced in China.
    3. Try to buy more per each shopping trip to reduces the number of times needed to go outside.
    4. Try to buy and wear disposable masks when going outside. But this might not be possible soon when supplies worldwide starts running low due to China itself currently buying them up from other countries to fill it's own shortage.
    5. Disinfect your hands, face and anywhere exposed often, along with packaged food that might've handled by infected people. Because the virus can survive 4-24 hours on surfaces.
    Essentially the most important thing is to just reduce contact with people when possible until the thing is over, which is already looking to be far worse than SARS ever was since it's still mutating and has no real vaccine, along with life-long complications for even the recovered patients due to lung and immune system damage.

If you have a fever and have a hard time breathing, please report to the hospital and get checked out, since dizziness, fever and lung damage are the most common symptoms of this virus.

imK and Vanidor like this.
  7. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I bought some things on ebay for 10 cents and less and had them shipped from 1 side of the world to the other included in that price.

Overall, the production costs of many things like medicine is often times pennies when produced in bulk. But obviously there are overhead costs such as packaging, sanitation, distribution, profit and etc.

8. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    Chloroquine costs $0.10 US per adult and is still effective for a lot of cases. It’s around $2 per person for newer more effective drugs, but they often get marked up to $8-$10.

Secondly I’m the opposite, I see people complain in the US that if they cut the defense budget by some number then they could fund free healthcare or whatever. That’s bullshit. Canada and the US are always in deficits, the reason they don’t fund any particular program is because there isn’t a demand for it by the people who voted.

The vote for abortion rights or guns rights instead of warm meals for kids in schools. Blaming the governments is a massive cop out that people try to avoid personal responsibility.

If my country’s citizens gave enough of a damn about kids dying of malaria instead of lower taxes then we’d spend tax money on it. We don’t care enough so our government doesn’t donate serious money to it.

edit: I’ve had the above argument with both conservative and liberal American friends recently. One complaining about money spent on Trump’s impeachment instead of homeless vets and another on the military vs free education. They implied that money couldn’t be spent on the other thing because of the first despite massive deficits already. My argument is even if they cut/stopped program A and there is no desire for B then the money wouldn’t go there.

The fact that program B isn’t funded already means there wasn’t a big enough public demand. And their arguments were bullshit politics blaming abstract parties instead of the citizens.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  9. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Chloroquine or Hydroxychloroquine? And which manufacturer? The only times I know for someone to go that low is if they are clearing stock, so normally when I see prices that low, I get suspicious.

10. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    haha, living in some abandoned woods in the middle of nowhere finally pays off, suck it cityfolk y'all gon die!

CyberCypher and imK like this.
  11. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes I really wonder if I should just say F-it to my job and start working for places that develop bioweapons instead. My opinion of humanity is getting lower by the day.

12. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    What about led poisoning?

13. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    For full body suits you usually are disinfected while you wear them, so that the outside of the suit is clean to touch.

For partial setups you'd remove gloves last and peel them down, kind of like how you'd see doctors after surgery. You can google "doctors taking gloves off after surgery". Dispose of the equipment, then shower.

For normal people about the best you can do is strip when getting home, put everything stuff in a garbage bag, put that aside and don't wash until after whatever time period they say a virus lasts on surfaces. Finally clean up doorknobs, floors, light switches and dispose of the cleaning items.

All that is extremely overkill for this virus unless you have very small children, seniors, or immune compromised people in the house. This isn't that deadly for healthy people.

14. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    For full body suits you usually are disinfected while you wear them, so that the outside of the suit is clean to touch.

For partial setups you'd remove gloves last and peel them down, kind of like how you'd see doctors after surgery. You can google "doctors taking gloves off after surgery". Dispose of the equipment, then shower.

For normal people about the best you can do is strip when getting home, put everything stuff in a garbage bag, put that aside and don't wash until after whatever time period they say a virus lasts on surfaces. Finally clean up doorknobs, floors, light switches and dispose of the cleaning items.

All that is extremely overkill for this virus unless you have very small children, seniors, or immune compromised people in the house. This isn't that deadly for healthy people. Moderate safety care and taking steps to be as healthy as possible would get most of the benefits.

15. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    You forgot the true most important move. At all times have your 6 pack of Coronas on your shoulders ready to be drunk. If someone even coughs near you knockback the 6 pack and go and buy a new one.

16. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Supposedly, you can cure flu by shoving spring onions up your butt. But spring onions can't cure the coronavirus. So you should shove medicated butt plugs up your ass. Ai-chan is wearing a fluffy fox tail butt plug.

Modern problems require modern solutions.

Nightow1 likes this.
  17. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I head is that a surgical mask is not enough, a respiratory mask should be more effective.

18. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, and in your abandonned woods be carefull of sick bats or other animals contaminated by mutated virus, as you might become the patient zero of the next big one...

19. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you confuse sth? This thread isn't about STDs :blobwoah:

Haha jk it was just such a good setup xD

20. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    We’ll see how effective the quarantine and various measures, like mask types, were in about another week.

After SARS there were studies on respirators but I don’t remember any firm conclusions.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020