Discussion Country names

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Littleton94, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Littleton94

Littleton94 Lord of the Shadow trolls*shadow stalker*F5 sect

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been wondering this awhile but what's up with authors changing country's names to letters like S country or M country it's not like it saves a lot of space I mean how it is easier fighting M country instead of USA

Ash_Kira and Femme Fatale like this.
  2. Alchyr

Alchyr Master of Procrastination

Reading List:
    Link
    you can look at it as avoiding any possible issues; if you have something like USA as the enemy, some people from USA might be offended. The same can apply to other countries.

As for fully fantasy stories that don't bother naming countries with no basis in reality, they're just being lazy.

Ash_Kira, Exitiumm, Arkus86 and 6 others like this.
  3. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    is it that Mansion?

but welp, it is due as stated above to somehow avoid murky waters. . .

but welp, that Mansion novel really . . . . haaaaaaaaa

4. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Because when the Triads from C country fight with the Yakuza from J country and the Mafia from I country in your novel, you're not pointing fingers at countries, but leave it up to the reader to fill in the blank if they want.

Copyright, defamation, etc. etc. etc.
    WDonalds for instance.

Ash_Kira, Arkus86 and Femme Fatale like this.
  5. jawbrie

jawbrie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    M国
    M Country
    ?

Amaruna Myu likes this.
  6. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    This, i figure. Not that China really gives a fish about other countries really, considering the trend of "foreign gangsters and criminals coming to do crimes and be absolutely evil" that is so common in CN novels.

7. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah the triads would come from Z country. Seeing as the Chinese don't call China China, but rather Zhōngguó, with the Yakuza being from R Country, from the Chinese, rì běn.
    America is M country though, from měi guó

8. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there was some regulation for CN at some point where you can't use real places names.Not sure if that still exists

9. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it depends on the novel's plot I'd say, because taking the plot into consideration, country names must be changed in some cases to suit the plot, for example:
    After a war, one country wants to humiliate the losing country and strip it of all forms of its former glory and culture thus naming it by a name that holds some other meaning like the number of wins that the winning country had thus naming the losing country zone 52 for example, to remind anyone that the country in question won 52 times and that the 'zone 52' lost all its rights to be a country
    In Code Geass for example: japan lost its name and all of its rights because it lost to britannia thus becoming area 11 as a form of derogatory,
    Other shows took a somehow different approach, like in 'Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?' where wars are replaced by games and the loosing side must surrender its name to the winning side and thus loosing all of its rights and even population...
    As such it depends on the plots in question, and of course some authors are just lazy or are trying to copy some other novel's basic plot to some extent but weren't as successful :blobsweat_2:

10. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder about your choice of picking "S" and "M" as examples of country names:blobthinkingsmirk:

Littleton94 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.