Coworker asked me a interesting question

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MasterCuddler, Nov 12, 2017.

?

Would you press button?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    47.3%
  3. Depends

17 vote(s)
    23.0%
  1. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

2. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True, but personally, the guilt of having (nearly) killed my child would drive me mad.

3. little king

little king Ruler of Sloth [Neko-form]

Reading List:
    Link
    Good thing you're not my dad~

4. Aegis21

Aegis21 Hiki wanna be

Reading List:
    Link
    We need to think of the future,plus the chances are 50 50,not so bad,even a blackjack win rate is just 46%

5. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    i get that. Though i say these things i know it'd be hard to remain cold and logical under that condition. I dont think i could live worry free if i did that either.

6. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    I felt kind of sick reading this.

At a certain point, this question isn't all that different from:

You have a newborn baby that came out of the womb yesterday. Push a button, and you get a million dollars, but there's a 50% chance the researcher will kill your baby. Do you push the button?

Also, I don't know where this came from. While it's true that around 15% of pregnancies are miscarried, that predominantly happens in the first early weeks when the embryo is just a ball of cells, and the fetus's heart hasn't even started beating.

At the point where this is in the prompt ("born in a few months") or ("past point of (medically-safe) abortion" = 20-24 weeks), you've already seen the baby on ultrasound (and know whether it's a boy or girl, and if it has any disabilities you would have known by this point already) and it's kicking and moving inside of you.

I think some people aren't recognizing the gravity of what it takes to decide on this kind of abortion, and it can be really mentally and emotionally scarring for the women who ultimately choose an abortion at this point. For that matter, the procedure is not even that safe for the mother, which is why even in "pro-choice" states in US, you can't get an abortion this late.

For the record, I am pro-choice, but there's a huge difference between getting an abortion with a pill when the fetus is only a few weeks old and getting an abortion late in the third trimester (which means surgery and taking the baby out, mind you).

7. two

two Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So you want your kid to use the rest of his life's luck so he could survive to be your child? :blobjoy:

8. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it'd depends if I need money; like would be sort of tempted but.....my luck is pretty bad and I think I'd be wrecked with guilt if things turned out worse, so probably wouldn't even press it.

9. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s MC material, plot armor will prevail

10. LostArc

LostArc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don’t be bothered by anyone accusing you of being evil, the question in itself was terrible to begin with. Your co-worker gave you a hypothetical question of a situation that will most likely never occur and just because you said you would press the button that doesn’t truly mean that’s what you would do. Not everything is dyed in just black or white and who knows how one would act since none of the circumstances leading to the situation was ever addressed. Does anyone seriously think this situation will ever occur to them? Honestly, no. Does your answer reveal something about your true character? Maybe? Maybe not. At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself why did your co-worker ask you such a question, and the answer is that he or she just wanted to socialize with you. We humans are social creatures and some of us require it more than others. It’s just something you notice when working together with other people, there will always be people who are fine with little to no attention and others who will always try to involve themselves in anyone’s conversation because they yearn for it.

MasterCuddler likes this.
  11. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it just me, or have the polls slowly gotten more horrifying over time? Like, fast forward a couple of months and every poll will just be a reenactment of the Saw franchise mixed with Sophie's Choice.