CPU Benchmark

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Drakaos, May 4, 2022.

1. Drakaos

Drakaos Member (Patriarch?) of the Anti-Qidian Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Can someone explain to me wtf could possibly cause this? I've looked through so much crap trying to figure this out to no avail.
    Benchmark when I first got it:https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50339324
    Benchmark now:https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/52371253
    This issue has been occuring for about a month now.
    I've also used Cinebench and my score is around 6000. A typical score for an I7-11700k is ~15000.
    Someone, please help. What is this bullshit.

2. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    when did you get it? and was it a prebuilt?

3. Drakaos

Reading List:
    Link
  4. ANonMouse

Reading List:
    Link
    if you can go into the bios, check the fan speeds and see if everything is running at max speed. Also, there are various programs that can try to see the temperature of your various parts. Check to see if your cpu temps are getting out of hand. If they are, it could simply be the prebuild assemblers cheaping out on the thermal paste.

I would put my money on it being some sort of cooling problem because from what I've seen, Lenovo advertises that it's overclocking the i7 in your prebuilt, meaning they've adjusted settings in the bios to overclock so the end user doesn't need to go through the process themselves, but overclocking will boost cpu temps quite a bit and I'm not sure the cooling's working as intended. If the program you download and used show high cpu temps (you can check online about what is normal temps for your cpu), it could be thermal throttling. This could be because as I said, a lot of times, they'll cheap out on the thermal paste in prebuilts (esp these days, pc market is getting rather skeevy), or maybe something's wrong with the fan's settings. You can check fan speeds with various programs or through bios to see if fans will run at max speeds or not (I had an issue where my fans were running only at 50% max speed, and I never knew why)

runsing and asriu like this.
  5. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I agree with the previous reply...it's probably a heat problem. Looking at your cpu, you lost an entire GHz of turbo. Turbo is a temporary overclock under heavier loads but if your cpu doesn't want to exceed normal clock rates, it might be feeling heavily stressed already.

Turn off your computer, let it sit for half an hour to cool off then try running the benchmark again.

runsing likes this.
  6. wtfkjp

wtfkjp ASDFGGWP

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi there, looking at the benchmark what i can guess for the main issue for this is your cpu core "temps"

Im going to explain it on a layman terms as much as i can
    basically when the cpu core temps is too high than normal hot temp, it throttles down and slows down.
    you can verify this by running some temps monitoring tools
    for reference use this table to get the idea
    upload_2022-5-4_13-6-42.png

The second guess... you are running a Virtual Machine/Android Emulator on start up

runsing and asriu like this.
  7. jatan21

jatan21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems the RAM (Memory) was added. I would go to the BIOS to ensure you are getting the speeds you paid for (enable XMP). If the upgraded RAM doesn't match the rest, then it will use the slower speeds.

I see that background usage is high, so try uninstalling stuff you don't need and remove useless Startup tasks in the task manager. I personally would debloat Windows 11 by doing a clean install of Windows or uninstalling what you can. There is a tool that you can get from GitHub called "ThisIsWin11" that can help removing useless stuff.

Yeah, cooling might be a problem. Maybe replacing your thermal paste would help especially after a few years of use. I would remove any dust in the PC before you replace the paste since it can prevent the fans from cooling your system.

You can check power limits in Bios and undervolting after some research to improve thermals and efficiency. Undervolting is extremely useful for laptops, would highly recommend checking it out if you are on a laptop.

runsing likes this.
  8. Drakaos

Reading List:
    Link
    I seriously doubt its a heating problem, I have HWinfo64, and its at most in the high 70s when I run the CPU benchmark.

How exactly would that even happen.

I have my suspicions that it might have something to do with the Ram but im not sure. Lenovo doesn't have xmp enabled RAM, so I installed JEDEC compliable RAM. That said, I only noticed that the CPU was slow after I installed the RAM. However, when I removed the new RAM, there is no improvement to CPU speed. Im slightly worried I may have accidently damaged something when I inserted the RAM sticks.

I'm thinking I should just reset my PC and see if that helps, but there is a file on my computer that I really need that I can't verify if it would stay after a reset. And because this file is corrupted, I can't even download it to a USB.

9. ANonMouse

Reading List:
    Link
    you can try maybe manually setting RAM in the bios, but resetting is probably what you need to do in the end.

10. jatan21

jatan21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt the RAM would have damaged anything, the only thing that you need to care about are the speeds (includes timings) and the slots they were installed. You want the RAM to be installed in the correct slots to reduce signal noise and get any dual-channel speed improvements if you have multiple sticks of RAM.

Where is that file saved? If you have 2 drives, then you technically only need to reset one of them. Just format and reinstall on the drive that doesn't have the corrupt file. I would pick the fastest drive (NVMe SSD if you have one) for your Windows Install to get best experience using your computer.

If you format your drive or delete that file, then there is a risk of further damaging the file as the OS might write data over it as it doesn't think there is a file in that location anymore. I am not really sure what you can do to recover it other than using some data recovery software or a professional data recovery place. It would be good to note down all the information on the file you know, to help data recovery or just identify if the recovered file is correct.

Since your using Windows 11, try going to Windows Security and seeing if Memory Integrity is on. That can reduce performance to improve security. Maybe try improving performance by tweaking some windows settings in the "Appearance and Performance" menu or enabling Hardware-Accelerated GPU scheduling.

If it isn't temps of your components, then I can only think that your performance is being used up by other programs or the OS itself. Over the time, Windows has become bloated and unoptimized, so various things like transparency effects (Windows aero) can be leaching some performance.

Run a scan to make sure your storage drives and system files are in good health, a failing HDD might be causing problems. I would use DISM check and restorehealth, sfc /scannow, and then chkdsk /r for all your drives. Note the chkdsk scan will take a long time for large drives and make them unusable till the scan is done.

runsing likes this.
  11. wtfkjp

wtfkjp ASDFGGWP

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not that I have a list of app you have installed on your pc but
    seeing that your GPU performance only looked like just got bottlenecked due to slow cpu performance
    I could only guess that a certain core of your cpu is allocated mostly to virtual machine, be it because you are using it as workstation or you like playing mobile games to your pc. (or that it is throttled down due to either super hot temp or undervoltaged via OC tools,or power plan is at saving energy mode)

alternatively you can try this out!
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056742/processors.html
    this one is a wild guess, no evidence that this is your issue, but hey maybe you have the same problem and this would work.

12. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First thing to consider should be installed software. For example - when did you run the first benchmark, before installing all your current software or after? This performance can easily degrade if you have a bunch of things running in the background. Do you have an anti-virus that is actively scanning your system? Do you have multiple game stores open at the same time? Did you run your benchmark while something else was done on the machine? Perhaps windows was doing an update?
    Another possibility you might have a virus and that causes computer to run slower. Go to process explorer and see how much stuff is running and how much resources it takes.

Another possibility as it was mentioned - thermals. While the benchmark is running, make sure to check how hot every component in your system gets. You said you bought your computer 3 month ago? If you ran it during winter, the temp in your room might have been a lot colder than now, causing the performance to be better and if the room is really warm now, then it will be worse.

Also, it looks like the SSD you used was not in the second benchmark. What happened to it? Did you replace it? Make sure that the trim is actually working, do not defrag it and run whatever tool the manufacturer provides for checking the health of the disk

did you replace the RAM completely or just added some? It is possible that after inserting the new RAM something have changed. Check the BIOS settings and make sure that all parameters are the they should be. If you insert a new run the BIOS can modify some settings and reset them, causing the performance to slow down.
    If you have the backup disk for you computer, resetting it might be a good idea, but just check that it is caused by the software first

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  13. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    1st issue - too many stuff running in the background during benchmark, taking a toll on the resources available (22% latest vs previously 13%) :blobpensive:
    002a.jpg 002b.jpg

2nd issue - For whatever reason, the Turbo is not available/disabled. The processor is only running at its base clock speed (3.60GHz) :hmm:.
    003a.jpg 003b.jpg

3rd issue - GPU isn't boosted as high as it does during original benchmark - most likely temperature issue - dust, thermal paste. or it could also be power, like the PSU aging, or outright failing. Or, it just doesn't see the need to, since the processor is not catching up with it :whistle: :blobamused:
    004a.jpg 004b.jpg

4th issue - The benchmark failed to complete/ended prematurely for the SSD. Some background stuff might be conflicting/interfering or the drive might have issue (run a chkdsk /r just in case). it could also be the sata cable or the power (being supplied to it), quite a remote occurrence, but not impossible.
    001.jpg
    005a.jpg 005b.jpg
    Update:
    upon further checking, the benchmark will create a 90GB file during the sequential write test. Since your drive only has 96GB free space on it....well...:blobthinkingsmirk:
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/Faq/What-is-sustained-sequential-write-speed/110

5th issue - This could probably just due to fragmented data. After all, it is now halfway filled compared to before (when it's new and empty). Just run a defragmenter. You can use window's built-in, or 3rd party.
    006a-.jpg 006b-.jpg

6th issue - Latency. But this is actually quite normal when you populated all 4 DIMM slot. Especially so if the new pair of RAM (Crucial) doesn't have the same latency settings as the original pair (Kingston). There's a reason why overclockers only use 2 sticks of rams instead of 4 :blobpeek: . Not to mention, your processor is running slower than it was supposed to in the latest benchmark, so it could have affected not only this section (RAM), but all the other sections as well.
    007a.jpg 007b.jpg

your main issue is - the processor not running as normal (with turbo boost). Check the bios settings in case it was accidentally turned off. I won't remove W11 as possible culprit either. a quick googling shows several reports on Turbo Boost suddenly got disabled after upgrading/updating the OS and they happens on both w10 as well as w11

your secondary issue - need more free space in the SSD. failing the SSD test drags down your overall score. move at least 1 of the games from the SSD onto the HDD before running the benchmark (you can restore it to the SSD afterward). Before that though, defrag your HDD first.

tertiary issue - apps/service running in the background. try restarting your pc in 'clean boot' mode, then once it got into desktop, open the antivirus (or windows defender), and disable the active protection temporarily. suspend the Windows Update service too (or you could just disconnect from internet if the benchmark doesn't need it). Let the pc idle for 5-15 minutes before running the benchmark.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

probably not an issue 1 (or at least not as much) - gpu boost (clean the dust on the heatsink). if you're willing to go further and has some experience in doing so, replace the thermal paste. (if you did went that far, might as well replace your processor's thermal paste as well).

probably not an issue 2 (might or might not be remedied) - ram latency/speed

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    TamaSaga and sgrey like this.