Creating a "reimagining" of a novel

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ALonelyParrot, Jan 18, 2019.

1. ALonelyParrot

ALonelyParrot Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read Reincarnated as a Dragon’s Egg recently and was shocked by both the bad translation (Still, thank you Translators for trying your hardest to get these out!) and the less than satisfactory story plus writing. I was thinking about doing a "reimagining" of this novel by improving the writing and the character development. I'll be still follow the general story line, but I'll be making a few of my own changes. Would it be fine to post it here in this forum, or would I have to look elsewhere? Also, I'm wondering if there are legal barriers to this as well as ethical qualms about this project in general. I actually have the first chapter already rewritten and can post it right now. Should I post it in this thread? Also, any advice?Thank you in advance for answering my questions and giving help!

2. Student-kun

Student-kun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    scribble-hub maybe? Mark it as a fanfiction, I guess..,

Shio likes this.
  3. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm. If you've ever read The Amber Sword, you'll see that the translations are less "translations" than a "reimagination" of the story. Now, the plot is pretty much identical to the one written, but the translator improves plot holes and characterization flaws (like, for example, a self-sacrificial saint abandoning someone). If you're talking about actually rewriting it with plot changes and whatnot, it'd probably be better to post it on Scribble Hub

ALonelyParrot and Astaroth like this.
  4. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    insert joke about QI/webnovel and deleting random parts of the novel

too bad they always manage to delete the interesting parts, but keep all the filler :blobjoy:

5. ALonelyParrot

ALonelyParrot Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @DontLookDown Hmm... How big would those plot changes have to be to get put into Scribble Hub?
    @Astaroth I probably won't be cutting important plot points out (except maybe the monkeys... Goodness, I hate those monkeys) Though, I'll probably be shortening and editting the fight scenes to make them a little bit more interesting.

6. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuck the original story, why not write about a protagonist that gets reincarnated as a kobold, DnD kobold not Warcraft kobold.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It really makes a huge difference so don't fuck it up.

7. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a non-reincarnated kobold story and his path of vengeance against the isekai hero who slaughtered his village. But I think it's more of the dog type kobold than the DnD lizard type. Also Japanese and Chinese translation.

[真上犬太]Kamigami~最為弱小的反抗者~
    Blargh Chinese site now requires login, and they turned off registration ;_;

8. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    lol warcraft kobolds

9. ALonelyParrot

ALonelyParrot Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Goblin Sleuth Err... I would prefer to work with an already existing frame I kinda like the premise of the original story, and I see potential in it. I think just a few things need to be cleaned up before the story get gud. (Either that, I'm basically aiming for something hopeless xD)

10. ALonelyParrot

ALonelyParrot Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, would it be fine to post a link to the rewritten first chapter here (and the link to the original chapter)? I just want to see whether or not I got the minimum amount of skill to revamp this story. (Should this go into another thread?)

11. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Changes to fight scenes are fine, I'd say. There's a lot of that in The Amber Sword, so it should be fine if all you're doing is enhancing it.

Now as for cutting out an entire plot point, that depends. Is it a major plot hole? Perhaps just written terribly? If so it might be better to rewrite it so it doesn't conflict with the other points so much. If it's something like a side-quest that doesn't really serve any purpose, you can choose to either rewrite it or leave it.

I'll have to read the translation myself to see what exactly this "moneky thing" is, though .-.

12. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I've already seen plenty of revenge stories, and the protagonist are usually total edgelord losers. A monster protagonist though, and an actual native not just a transmigrated person trying to be human. If it ever gets an english translation I might check it out.

ALonelyParrot likes this.