Cross Code ... and other VRMMO inspired games?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Agecaf, Nov 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Agecaf

Agecaf Grand Archmathemagician

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember back in the days when html5 was starting to gain traction asking myself "Can a html5 game be good?". A single demo made me realize the answer is "yes". And I've recently come to know that the game is now in early access!

If anything, the setting might interest the VRMMO novel fans here : )

The setting
    The story is set in the far future (after stellar colonization), and takes place in a distant planet. There's a tech called "instant matter", which is kind of like solid holograms. And so they decided to make a VRMMO game for people around the galaxy using avatars made in instant matter, ta have adventures inside the planet, against mobs also made of instant matter.

This makes it interesting as that means there are 3 kinds of characters; NPCs, "other players", and staff. It is not always clear who is what.

Why I really like it
    The dungeons. They're just. wow. They've made two of the main ones so far (still in early access), but they're more than worth it. It mixes interesting puzzles (where you have to play with the game mechanics), with varied combat scenarios. And then there's the final boss; Hard, but very satisfying to beat.

The combat is also fairly interesting; It is based around dodging and knowing the enemy's weakness (some of which are non-trivial to pull off). You also get to play with "another player", who turns out to be fairly useful as she drags some of the aggro (very useful against enemies with weak points in their backs), you can combo from her abilities, and even if she dies, she respawns a bit later.

Anyway, there's an online demo for Cross Code if you want to try it out ( http://www.cross-code.com/en/start ).

Can we actually make these type of posts? Sorry otherwise...
    So... Are there other "VRMMO world" inspired (single player) games out there? Would you actually like playing those games? Or are you of the opinion that VRMMO novels are no good? Or you'd rather wait for actual VRMMOs to exist?

tehrealone likes this.
  2. tehrealone

tehrealone 『Lurker』

Reading List:
    Link
    Demo is really cool.
    Game looks pretty nice, I might go for early entry.

Agecaf likes this.
  3. CuteBoy69

CuteBoy69 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do they have mobile version of this game...?

4. Agecaf

Agecaf Grand Archmathemagician

Reading List:
    Link
    Not that I know of. It relies heavily on the mouse + keyboard controls; mouse to aim, charge, shoot, dodge and block, keyboard to move, use specials, and change modes...

It'd be a bit too much to make mobile controls for that. A good game both on PC and mobile I know is Cardinal Quest 2, which has much simpler controls and turn-based gameplay (but is still loads of fun).

5. CuteBoy69

CuteBoy69 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It could be made into mobile game cuz it can be played with a controller...