LCD Crossing to the Future, it's Not Easy to Be a Man

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by somnious, Oct 18, 2017.

1. somnious

somnious Leopard Boy Li Lanfeng Bias

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of this is resolved in the next chapter. Also Ling Lan isn't a civilian, she just assumes she is. She's technically a hybrid between the military and large clan system/class.

2. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Her entire clan got exiled and she lost all of her connections as well as creating numerous enemies. Since the civilians were the ones that received military inheritances, just like the MC. Unless her mother's side is a major clan and they didn't lift a finger to protect her or her child, but I don't remember such a thing being mentioned.

3. Koslov

Koslov Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Civilians aren't the only ones who receive military inheritances, I imagine.

But yeah, I'm not sure if she counts as military either? Military would refer to military houses, I presume? Where the entire lineage is filled with career military service members? It's only because of her father that her clan on the paternal side of her family tree had any influence at all, and that their hopes of establishing themselves stably as an influential clan depended upon Ling Lan's military inheritance and on intermarriage with other influential clans.

4. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    If you go back to the chapter where the three groups are described, the civilians where the ones with military inheritances. I assume that he difference was simply that their parents weren't mecha pilots, or that none of their living relatives were mecha pilots. So basically what you were saying.

5. Koslov

Koslov Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As I understand it, military inheritances aren't only for civilians; it's just that civilians are only able to apply there because of their military inheritances, while those from military families and influential clans could simply start-up their own children even without an inheritance. So those in military families and clans can afford to send in more members of their family, civilians are forced into lineal inheritances until they either become influential enough to send more members of their household over or drop out entirely. Maybe that's how it all works?

6. somnious

Reading List:
    Link
    A clan family child is always a clan family child, even if they broke off because they still carry their thousands of years long traditions and secrets.

It's likely that children of military inheritances, esp civilians, will have a chance to improve their status through marriage. They do have resources and there's always a need for soldiers. In fact, there's a heavy preference in the actual military for civilian soldiers over 'elite'/'top of the class' soldiers like the group Ling Lan is in. The main difference between civilians and clan families is that they're often small units and don't have relatives that carry any super secret 'how to improve yourself' training formula. To be honest, clan families are a bit strange. Later there's a thing called 'Spiritual Talent' that will appear and you'll learn that a lot of clan families will have similar spiritual talents that are very unique.

And yeah that's exactly what I theorize too. Clan families can have huge amounts of children that they can raise internally and throw at the army, while military families tend to be people who've sunk pretty deeply into the military (there's a separation of state and military lol).

Ling Lan's family still carries their clan insignia as well as their ranking. Although they're no longer a 4th ranked clan, they're still a 9th rank clan. Later on, Ling Lan will state that she actually isn't a civilian, she just thought she was because she didn't realize who her father actually is.

As for the mother's side, I won't say anything. I do suggest paying attention to last names, though.

If you paid attention to the latest chapter, non-civilian children can obtain military inheritances too. Also civilian children are denoted with 'civilian', which Ling Lan isn't.

I've read this whole series over like 4 times now please don't doubt me anymore....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  7. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if they'll all get perfect scores or not. If they do, I wonder if something will happen to the guy that gave her an 80.

By the way, this is absolutely not a request for spoilers.

8. Kin

Kin Invijible kitty

Reading List:
    Link
    Mc is mulan and ML is general li sheng XD

9. somnious

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh, minus people who actually have their names stated or if they actually full on appear in some way outside of being mentioned every now and then, you can just assume they're background characters that don't exist.

Maybe <:3c

10. Lswarmruler

Lswarmruler 『Anya, The Cutest Esper Loli』《Spy x Family Manga》

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol this novel now is taken over by QI.. hope the release will be faster and more stable...

11. somnious

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm still kind of conflicted over it, but the translation quality is good, so I guess I don't have to worry too much.

12. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Screw selling books. They should sell those flavored energy drinks. Given that place's culture, if people didn't reject it as being too "soft", they'd make enough money to buy several lower tier worlds.

I wonder which moron actually put wine in front of a six year old.
    I was assuming that it was the same translator, and that they had simply been hired by QI, like StarveCleric and several others. If that's right, it's unlikely that the translation will be any faster or more stable than before.

13. Lswarmruler

Reading List:
    Link
    U do know QI push the translator to follow the schedule right.. and as i see QI novels release always fast, like 2 ch per day or at least 1 ch in 2 days...

But anyway i have tried to read the raws and this novel has a short chapter and the plot seems really slow.. maybe slower than TMW plot... it will be a real torture for people who try reading this novel day by day..

14. somnious

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol no. I'm the fan translator, but no one said anything to me really. People probably didn't even notice that I was translating this series initially bc I had to go on a hiatus for a bit. However, this is one of the best novels on Qidian (in my opinion) so I'm not surprised they picked it up so quickly. It may not make as much money as others, but even for slow plot and writing-wise, it probably ranks top three in skill and thought.

2 chapters per a day actually isn't difficult, especially for the length of this series's chapters. If I didn't have anything and only translated, despite not being super skilled, I can still easily get 4 chapters a day done. However, I have a part time job and bills to pay and I've only been able to translate between Tuesdays to Thursdays when I don't have work, which is probably why everyone feels my releases are spotty.

Reindeer likes this.
  15. Lswarmruler

Reading List:
    Link
    So the QI just taken over the novel without telling u and get new translator? And do they steal ur translation or start anew? Well i actually found this novel plot interesting thats why i push myself to read from the raws... but i really think the chapter is too short and too much detail which make the plot seems really slow..

16. somnious

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the translator from Qidian contacted me personally, but I wasn't sure of their identity so I kept translating until now. They didn't know I was working on this project bc due to life reasons, I had to pause for a bit. And no, they didn't steal my translations, but our word choices are similar and the quality is good, so I don't actually mind. I really love the series and to be honest, as long as the translator does it properly I'm willing to let go.

Yeah the chapters are short because the author live writes. She plots it out beforehand, but writing the equivalent of 3000 (4000) words a day is actually pretty hard. I'm actually really happy at the details? It gives more of a character to everyone. The slow plot helps bring depth to the series too since it's not just centered around Ling Lan, but the background politics and interstellar states. Plus, bc of all the details, when the author starts getting serious, it sends ripples.

Reindeer and NightSpade like this.
  17. Lswarmruler

Reading List:
    Link
    Its good then.. hope u found another good series to translate or whatever u wanna do.. any recomendation of sth similar to this novel or ur other favorite novels? Thanks

18. somnious

Reading List:
    Link
    This is probably going to be my first and last series. I'm not the kind of person who's nice enough to work on other projects unless I fall in love.

As for novel recommendations, I don't really have any. Crossing to the Future is one of the truly singular series out there and it makes it hard to compare. Sure, you can find scifi with cultivation elements and mecha fights, but I don't know if it can get anywhere to like how Crossing to the Future has. As for favorite novels, I haven't really found any other ones that can compare...:'3c I can say that Malicious Empress of the Military Lineage is pretty good so far, as well as Golden Age Legitimate Fei, but lol...im just an albatross that hasn't fallen out of love with the first major series I read.

19. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, thanks for your work up to now then :)
    Have you read Legend of the Cultivation God? It's another QI novel, but I'll be shocked if they ever actually try to translate it. The story is excellent, but too slow for most people and therefore unlikely to net them enough money to bother. First 150ish chapters are already translated.

20. somnious

Reading List:
    Link
    Shance likes this.