Spoiler Crossing to the Future, it's Not Easy to Be a Man

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Galaxii, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Pansy25

Pansy25 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi! Although there were moments where Lanfeng can be so devious, I kinda like his crazy pursuit of Ling Lan. He can be sly just to get what he wants. Too bad not all scenarios turn out as he wants because Lin Lan can be as dense as a rock. lol. Still he's a good match for her tbh.

Can you please please tell me what chapter Lin Lan saw the future when she died and saw how Lanfeng became mad and became a hedwmonic tyrant. I've been trying to look for it but I can't find it.

Thanks in advance

FicLover520 likes this.
  2. Rinfantasy

Rinfantasy so much to do so little time...

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't remember the chapter number (around 800-1100?) but it happened when Ling Lan was fighting the ice emperor and awakened the profound insight domain for the first time ( I hope this can help you to narrow down the search)

3. Jangho-shin

Jangho-shin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Still waiting for the updates...:cry: it's been 3 months.... Fuuuuuu....maybe there are other updates only found in the country of the author? Gosh......i'm so sad... :blobsob:

4. Pansy25

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi! Thanks to your clue I found it in the 900's. It was actually really short. Lanfeng was probably the only one who survived. That's why he became crazy. Anyway thanks again...

5. somnious

somnious Leopard Boy Li Lanfeng Bias

Reading List:
    Link
    No you didn't misunderstand, that's just how shameless he can be ahahahaha. If only he knew why Ling Lan came up with that BS excuse bc he knows it's not true...

Thanks ahhh...I get a little too into it when people bully my boy...:blobowoevil_horns:

It's a very, very big trope in Chinese novels in general (and in extension, China I guess?) that women are physically weaker than men. It's really silly, honestly, and I am pretty happy that Mrs. Ru is trying to go against that mindset in a way. As for the military, chances are unlikely that they'll ever find out about Ling Lan's gender unless they have an existence that can rival Xiao Si (another god class hacker). It doesn't help that Ling Lan's existence also defies their current rhetoric, so there's no way for anyone to assume she's a woman. It's basically hindsight bias.

As for the FMMS, honestly, yeah, that part is pure discrimination considering how there's a multitude of different subjects that don't require piloting mecha to learn.

Well, the origins of the ideology wasn't completely due to discrimination; however, as time passed, it became extreme sexual discrimination. This is something that was addressed in the first few chapters, as seen in bizarre customs as 'only males can inherit', and the fact that, if Ling Lan was found to be a woman, even with her outstanding biological stats (all S-level ratings), she would still be passed over for a much weaker choice (her cousin). Thus, the current ideology is actually sexual discrimination - otherwise, there'd be no way for the bogus 'all descendants of god-class mecha pilots have no talent' research. This is because, in the hints and theories that Mrs. Ru has presented, all of the potential actually enters into the daughters. But bc the society is so set on only males, this crucial detail is ignored, leading to a great loss in power and talent.

Yeah it can be considered as potentially the future or an offshoot of canon. It was essentially the author fighting writer's block (to clarify, I'm in the fan group on QQ, so I've been witnessing this).

I would love to....but even my great powers of investigation....has failed...But I'm sure there's definitely stories like this out there bc there's been an explosion of interest in scifi and women writing in that genre ever since the author started. I'm unsure if it's due to the author's own story or if there were some pop culture influences (i.e. transformers), but it's definitely starting to cook.

I think they're in the middle of doing so. It's just, the author hasn't focused away from the main storyline in a while, so it's hard to tell - but yes, now that Ling Xiao is incapacitated, it can be said for certain that the ousted Ling clan will be able to make a comeback. The dragon and his pup isn't suppressing them anymore, and left a precious 23rd army and Independent army behind...

Can confirm! Also, for some reason, the author writes 'cheetah' for Li Lanfeng's mecha, but Ling Lan eventually starts calling him 'leopard'. The reason is kind of...a very Chinese thing. The term used for the mecha is 猎豹, but Ling Lan drops the first character and adds a '子' (zi can be interpreted as kind of a nickname way of calling someone) - becoming 豹子. Why the author did this, idk. don't ask me.

Unfortunately, there's been a lot of flashback scenes, so this twist is impossible lol...but i really like those kinds of 'in the past, we were a different gender' stories.

I'll def draw more, things just have been busy irl...like changing to a completely different job.

The interstellar invasion was initiated by Caesar after their attempt to destroy the Federation's virtual network system failed (due to yours truly, Xiao Si) and they lost a good amount of their hackers and virtual gods of deaths to Li Lanfeng/Xiao Si. As explained, these guys are a kind of 'life blood' to the military, so ofc they wouldn't take this situation laying down. Anyway, Xiao Si discovers the invasion ahead of time (they used the same radar deflecting technology that the Twilight Empire used during the invasion of Monster Planet when Ling Lan was 10), and notifies Ling Lan while eventually successfully triggering the school's defense system. In the process, she destroys the fragment of her father's spiritual power that was left in her mind, notifying Ling Xiao that something horrible has happened at the FMMS. He then proceeds to jump into Belief and fly back to the planet.

Seeing that this was a very valuable learning experience, Ling Lan mobilizes the battle capable members of the New Student Faction (she takes those who have reached the piloting rank of intermediate and up). They manage to take the school study mecha and she figures out that someone came here before her (the Lightning Faction). Using the clues left behind and her own deductions, she figures out that there's actually a secret space in the hanger and manages to sneak in. The secret space contains special class and...ace class mecha. Waiting for Qiao Ting's ppl to leave, Ling Lan takes the chance to grab the one knicknamed 'Close Combat Life Betting King' Mecha (rough translation). She had already given her orders to the New Student Faction, so after they leave, she leaves too (mostly to hide the fact that she, too, is an ace-class mecha pilot - one that already entered ace before her first year).

In the process of traveling to her destination (she wanted to fight solo and see how well she could do it), she saves Gao Juyun and his team and coldly orders them to join the teachers bc they were too weak trying to fight on their own. Gao Juyun figures out almost immediately that this person piloting the Life Betting King is actually their boss and he's ecstatic! Eventually he reveals this to his teammates, whom, in the process, also start braying bc holy fuck, our boss is an Ace Class pilot???

Anyway other things that happen - Ling Lan has a brilliant fight with an entire squad of Caesar soldiers (it's really good, honestly). She literally flattens them with her hegemony and Big Bad Ass Fucking Sword that could also be equated to a giant bar of metal, honestly. Her little partners join the fight and Li Lanfeng breaks through (at the cost of heavily exhausting/injuring himself). Xiao Si manages to get ahold of their encrypted channel, and Ling Lan picks up our princess Li Lanfeng and places him in her mecha (the soldiers thought that Li Lanfeng was Qiao Ting, one of their major targets, and that Ling Lan was Qiao Ting's teacher, Tang Yu). Ling Lan and her little partners decide to head towards the main area of villas bc they know that even more mech teams would be sent over to their location in a few moments.

The Caesar commander sees that things are going downhill and starts getting desperate. He ends up sending out their ultimate weapon - Imperial Class mecha. Two of them. One of them successfully manages to blow away 1/10th of the bunkers the students were staying in and about to do it again when Ling Xiao drops down from the sky and intercepts his death ray. Ling Xiao then proceeds to kick that guy's ass and saves the day, only to find that his precious treasure isn't actually here and receives an S.O.S. from her (via Xiao Si).

Meanwhile, Ling Lan's team and Qiao Ting's group end up meeting up, but the second imperial class mecha pilot swoops in and is like 'hahaha let's play a little game :)...kill each other'. Qiao Ting, despite his wish to live, decides to reject this proposal and it enrages the imperial pilot. The pilot is about to shoot Qiao Ting down with his ray of death when Ling Lan manages to deflect it at the cost of her BFS, leaving her weaponless. The pilot then tries to kill Ling Lan, and then gets his beam also deflected by Ling Xiao, who arrived just in time to save the day. Li Lanfeng sees Ling Xiao's Belief and recognizes it immediately and starts cutely shouting "Ling Lan, Ling Lan! That's General Ling Xiao! General Ling Xiao came to save us! It's General Ling Xiao!" while Ling Lan is overcome with emotions of happiness and relief bc of her father. At this moment, Li Lanfeng stops and notices, for the first time, a gentle and beautiful smile one Ling Lan's face...a thing that becomes his precious secret.

After the invasion, a new big reveal appears - Li Yinfei. Due to the invasion, the FMMS lost around 10kish students (from the imperial mecha's ray of death as well as various fighting - even the New Student Faction suffered some loss). During this period of tragedy, a new hit sensation arose - a girl called Li Yinfei. She initially released a song online with just her voice and it immediately became a hit. Soon, there was a great clamor for her to show her face. Eventually, her agency decides to make the FMMS the place where Li Yinfei debuts as a singer.

Ling Lan's little brothers are all in a tizzy over this (mainly Xie Yi and Qi Long), and Xie Yi buys out all of the tickets (lmao this scalper) to the show. He then tells Ling Lan that they all have to go. Thus Li Shuyu and Chang Xingyuan also get roped in, much to their dismay (why listen to a concert when they could be researching! really?? ReALLY?)

During the concert, it turns out that Li Yinfei has the talent 'mesmerizing voice', which only temporarily affects Ling Lan before she breaks out of the hypnotism. This effect alarms her greatly and she asks Xiao Si if it's possible for people who have these talents to control the will of others. Xiao Si goes 'no way, that's not possible' but then doubts are thrown, and maybe, just maybe, the government might be using these talents to control the populace. I don't know. What could it be.

Anyway, Li Lanfeng also has no issues and is relieved to see that Ling Lan's unaffected. However, the moment Li Yinfei's face is revealed, he is struck. Ling Lan notices that something is wrong with Li Lanfeng and turns to look at him, only to see him bowled over in seemingly pain. She thinks it's his illness, and when he reaches to grab her hand, she sees an expression of desolation upon his face - as if the entire world has abandoned him. Behind the two of them, Li Shuyu's face has changed also, as if he's seen a ghost.

After a while, Li Lanfeng manages, with the support he feels from LIng Lan, to calm himself. Li Shuyu excuses himself first, telling Chang Xingyuan that he forgot about an ongoing experiment. After he leaves, he immediately dials his grandfather and proceeds to yell at him in anger. The grandfather slyly pushes all the blame onto the other elders of the family, misleading poor Li Shuyu once again. However, this tactic doesn't fool Li Lanfeng, the child his grandfather raised personally himself. He demands an answer because...Li Yinfei's face looks almost exactly like his. It breaks his heart bc in the next month or so, he was going to turn 20, and at that point, he intended to tell Ling Lan everything, including his face. However, now that this has happened, he can't do that at all. His grandfather flips it around and goes "I did this for you! The King in your fate has already appeared besides you! Li Yinfei is the shield meant to protect you!". Li Lanfeng laughs at this and tells his grandfather that this was the final time he would be talking to him as Li Mulan.

He is now Li Lanfeng - Li Mulan, is dead.

As for fighting Qiao Ting, Ling Lan fights them in her second year after the invasion on the academy (around a few months after they entered their second year). This is probably around a few months after Li Yinfei's concert - and Qiao Ting has become smitten. Bc of Li Yinfei's announcement that she would 'only marry a king', he becomes obsessed with conquest and challenges the New Student Faction that initially defeated the Lightning Faction. Although he acts fair and thinks he is being fair, he actually has extremely unfair advantages - 1. being an ace-class mecha pilot, and 2. the school's upper brass are on his side and want to turn him into a new 'school legend'.

Xie Yi probably wasn't intended to, but I was there when she first dropped the chapters...and man did everyone throw knives at the author lmao. So he'll definitely be back (he will wake up the moment Xiao Hua regains his consciousness and power).

Small reveal, apparently Mrs. Ru did a survey on 'who would you feel least sad about leaving', so. uh.

Yup, but recently the author's been on a writer's block...so we gotta be patient....

The author's currently working on putting her kids into a good elementary school...and uh. working through her writer's block. She's stated constantly that she has not abandoned the story, so don't worry. It'll just take some time.

Lol no, nothing on Qidian and QQ...o(--(

Well it's unclear if it's just Li Lanfeng, of if Luo Lang also survived (I assume he probably did and Li Lanfeng probably protects him bc he's an extension of Ling Lan). And his insanity. lol It's probably not just bc of surviving...It's hinted that he was likely r*ped bc of his beauty and also bc Ling Lan dies, so the person who would be able to support him spiritually...no longer exists.

6. Elv

Elv Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When was it hinted that he was r*ped?? Did it happen to him after he was sent to another planet by his grandfather?

7. somnious

somnious Leopard Boy Li Lanfeng Bias

Reading List:
    Link
    lol no that was a response to someone who was asking about the alternative future Ling Lan saw when she was on the verge of dying.

In that alternative future, it's hinted that such a thing happened to him bc of how he looks and he might have had to accept it for the sake of survival. Also, it's constantly reiterated that Li Lanfeng isn't interested in things that go between men, to the point that he wants to scar his own face. Thus being forced to do something so horrible and torturing in the hands of someone much stronger than him likely caused his character to twist terribly. Especially if Ling Lan, the spiritual pillar of his heart, no longer exists on this world. It would likely be a combination of all these factors that drive him into madness.

8. SecretLibrary

SecretLibrary Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

9. SecretLibrary

SecretLibrary Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks @somnious I look forward to the doodles

10. Pansy25

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow. I knew he was that beautiful but it never crossed my mind that he would be r*ped in the alternate future. I guess I was clouded with what happened to Luo Chao to even notice that. The three people that survived the carnage weren't really so lucky. In fact, it was easier to die together with Ling Lan than suffer a fate worst than death.
    It's funny though how Lanfeng isn't into things going on between men and yet he is in love with Ling Lan (who he thinks is a man) and pursues her so fervently to the point of madness. Even trying to persuade her to send her two fiancees away. That guy is too shameless tbh.

FicLover520 and Aeiru28 like this.
  11. Stormbound

Stormbound New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m going to start squealing....
    Just backtracked to the chapter where Li Lanfeng sees Ling Lan’s smile
    383 (mtl)
    Ahhhhhhh
    It’s ridiculous

FicLover520 likes this.
  12. Rinfantasy

Rinfantasy so much to do so little time...

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, because that in the chapter he found out he loved Ling Lan when he said something like he didn't know when he fell in love, I was like: Li Lanfeng, from the beginning! LOL

13. Stormbound

Stormbound New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let it be known,
    I want to be the chapter finder.
    Here is another chapter reference....
    Ahhh I’m pulling another little four....
    please don’t lock me in a room
    582-591-ish

FicLover520 likes this.
  14. Stormbound

Stormbound New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    FicLover520 likes this.
  15. kieranfortier

kieranfortier Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, after thinking about the hard to imagine romance development, here is my analysis:

Ling Lan:
    - Lived up to +/- in her previous life. Here is where she developed her mind from infant to woman. She was always sick and never had a romance opportunity. She probably wished to be a normal girl, with a normal life and normal experiences. She wished to have babies and a family at that.
    - In her second life, she have to pretend to be a boy to keep her family safe. She had to deal with a completely new environment and adapt to her new reality. However, despise walking this path for a long time, it took a while before she found a goal (have babies - in line with her previous life) and then realize its not enough in this new world and create a new path for her (dominance - in line with the second life) since none fitted her as she wished.
    - Despite the changes, we can see her core is the same through her thoughts. She just adapted.
    - So, we see that she takes time to figure out important and big things, like her goals or romance.
    - She always postpone her retirement, because she wants to be sure her "children" and friends will be fine (and because she love this crazy live too).
    - Once she set her mind, she do her best to archive her goals and is a girl of actions. We saw this when she went to protect her "children" with a real Mecha, when she started a melee and when she took over the ship.
    - She has a teacher waiting anxiously to appear and teach her... Ahn... Things! Woman things. (Not sure I can put it like this... I mean, man can do lots of things too, Li Lanfeng is proof with his seducing abilities).

- So... I think, honestly, that there'll be no "right time". The romance will take time and will happen while a lot of shit is happening. The focus will not be romance, but it will develope naturally.
    - Ling Lan may have a hard time figuring things out at first and after, then be troubled, postpone a direct confrontation while not refusing him and then set her mind and struggle to learn how to attack Li Lanfeng.
    - Small things like hands touching, staring and maybe even stolen kisses in inappropriate times while the others are distracted or not looking.
    - I imagine it as a delicate romance (as in "it may not look like it, but it's enough that they know") with crazy and embarrassing moments (as they have no experience and the focus is somewhere).
    - I think that the hardest thing is Ling Lan realize she doesn't need to choose one or other: the military or romance.

FicLover520, Ziuzi, Rangeles and 6 others like this.
  16. Jangho-shin

Jangho-shin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank u for helping me ease my mind at least i now know the story won't ne drop...

17. White_Lotus

White_Lotus Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i've read until recent translated chp, but i don't think i read anything about Li Lanfeng have mask on...do u mean LLF have mask on entire time at the 1st man academic?

18. Aeiru28

Aeiru28 Unchanged Melody

Reading List:
    Link
    yes... he introduced as a person who wears mask. it is implied that the mask is a kind of helping tools for someone with disability. So the people didn't feel strange that he always using a mask as it is normal if he was disabled, but actually he just cover his face...

19. OceanMagix

OceanMagix Catnapping periodically. Existence is oblivious

Reading List:
    Link

Anyone can tell me which chapter Ling Lan and Lan Feng know that the other is rabbit and leopard? When I was reading through that arc/scenario ~ it was like suddenly from the SSS quest to Lan Feng being in Ling Lan’s dorm. So I got puzzled by it... ahh ahh ahhhhh! Can’t believe I missed it!!! Orz
    (T_T)(T_T)(T_T)(T_T)(T_T)(T_T)(T_T)
    Thank you very much in advance

FicLover520 likes this.
  20. JNaomi

JNaomi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    302-303

OceanMagix likes this.