Crying Suns (free game)

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Ai chan, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link

Crying Suns is free on Epic Games Store for 6 more days. So if you like this genre, go get it now.

Ai-chan enjoyed the game. It's simplistic and not hard to master. Ai-chan isn't a big fan of it. But Ai-chan also doesn't hate it. It's an enjoyable little game, though by the time you reach the imperial sector, it starts to feel a little repetitive for Ai-chan. But then again, Ai-chan has short attention span like a cat, so maybe it's totally gonna be your cup of coffee.

But since it's free, it doesn't hurt to see if you like it or not, right?

2. dezzter

dezzter The one who knows

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you sure it doesn't hurt? It requires epic games launcher and epic games account, could be selling your soul just for some free games. Have you ever truly read terms of service?

3. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Does it send your system info to Epic Games server? Sure it does. Steam and Google does that too. Does it matter? If you're paranoid, yes. But most people don't care.

The only thing you'd probably care is if you don't want to support Tencent, since the company that owns Epic Games Store (and Unreal Engine) with a majority stake is Tencent. But everything else is legit. You won't suddenly get adware or ransomware just because you use it.

4. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    any game using unreal 4 ends up under tencent territory. oh the horror for the paranoid twats

strayCat0 likes this.
  5. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    It's more than system info. It tracks system activity, but it has a very very broad definition for system activity. Basically runs the gamut from what apps run to how much they run while the launcher is active

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  6. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now now, there's no reason to be insulting. I find it paranoid too but insults won't make it better.

And I played the demo for the game before, it really is good. Thanks Ai chan!

Ai chan likes this.
  7. SwordDrake

SwordDrake Slice of Life Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Heh like my personal info is worth anything anyways. Delusional to think that you are even remotely useful to anyone. Curb your paranoia.

8. dezzter

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather then data collection paranoia I'm anti epic games because they payed devs into essentially committing fraud with exclusives. It was more a joke about signing away soul to evil corporation, beware of Greeks bearing gifts. Although I'll take their free games I'm never giving them a $

9. shadeonline

shadeonline [StarSeeker] [WaveWanderer] [TerrainTraveler]

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-epic-games-store-is-spyware-how-a-toxic-accusation-was-started-by-anti-chinese-sentiment#:~:text=No, the Epic Games Store,it comes to computer software.
    you should take a look at this article, there is no way for epic games to be a spyware, this is coming from a comp sci undergrad.

10. dezzter

Reading List:
    Link
    ? I already said the reason I'm anti epic isn't some paranoia about it being spyware or evil data collection, it's their business practices, heck even the free games are only a way for them to try and lure in players to the platform.

11. shadeonline

Reading List:
    Link
    you are both right and wrong about that.
    You see right now steam is monopolizing the market. Research shown that 70% of downloaded games are from steam, and steam takes 30% of what you paid for those games. Thats fking expensive for their laggy shit of a server. Now we have a new competitor Epic games who only charge 12% of game price. If I were a game developer I would obviously love my game to be sold on Epic rather than steam because of that 18% extra profit I make. Thats why both your game developers and Epic are partnering up and releasing exclusive contents and free games to bait users to Epic. Its all about breaking Steams monopoly, who charge so much just for publishing games on their platform. Healthy competition is the way for cheaper and better games, until than Epic has my money

Suijin likes this.
  12. dezzter

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not a lot 30% when a physical publisher takes 100% until marketing costs are recouped and then 30% when you compare this to steam which is a publisher but not only advertises your game but makes it a part of a community and give us a bunch of features the epic games launcher still lacks it is not unreasonable.
    I do agree that competition is healthy but the way the epic games goes about it is s***

13. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Where did you hear that Epic takes 100%?

14. dezzter

Reading List:
    Link
    I said a physical publisher takes 100% until they recoup marketing costs not epic. The difference in cost between steam and epic is because of how much more steam offers.

15. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Then 100% cut is not related to Epic, so why mention it in the first place? Also, what exactly is Steam offering that Epic doesn't offer? This is a legitimate question because right now Epic sounds like a much better publisher than Steam for us who actually makes games.

Though out of the three GOG sounds like a better deal, considering that GOG doesn't pay 30% withholding tax to the fucking USA. With Steam, we lose 60% due to withholding fee. With Epic, we lose 42% due to fucking USA withholding fee. Just looking at this alone, we benefit more from going the Epic route.

Suijin likes this.
  16. dezzter

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they are a publishing platform, I'm comparing publishers. In terms of comparing steam vs epic games launcher there is workshop for mods, reviews, remote play, family sharing, community features and more I can't think of atm that steam has and epic doesn't.
    Epic has promised reviews for a well over a year.

17. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are talking about the difference between African swallow or European swallow, you don't suddenly mention Asian swiftlet. Stick to the topic. Otherwise you're just just confusing people. Epic does not take 100%, so it shouldn't be mentioned. It's not relevant to the topic. We're not talking about Ubisoft or Blizzard or EA. We're talking about two online publishers specifically, Steam and Epic.

18. dezzter

Reading List:
    Link
    In that context I was saying physical publishers take 100% to cover costs then 30% like steam, whereas steam and epic do the avertising on their platform without asking for costs but steam reaches a much wider audience. Also I updated that earlier message.

19. shadeonline

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean both the game dev and epic games are going about it, because both of them are trying to earn more money selling their game on epic :blob_pompom:

Suijin likes this.
  20. dezzter

Reading List:
    Link
    Pheonix Point went against their crowdfunding promises by going exclusive on epic games, they had already accepted peoples money with one of the conditions being the game will be out on steam. It's not just wanting to earn more money which is not nescarily true since games on Steam get more visibility for more sales so even with a lower cut it's possible to make more money but bad faith or even fraud.