LCD Cthulhu Gonfalon

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by juniorjawz, Jul 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kokuyasou

Kokuyasou 黒夜葬

Reading List:
    Link
    ....well that'll teach me to only read one chapter and decide to wait for more before continuing. In other news though...OH MY FREAKING GOD WHY THEM...man I was only half joking with that and I just had to jinx myself

2. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    tentacle play?

3. solrial

solrial Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Classic Qidian. There's one at the end of chapter 3 too.

4. JadeBunny

JadeBunny Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of re:eek:cean, where the mc reincarnates into a squid and becomes a god and had a harem.

lucjanssens likes this.
  5. bonifide

bonifide Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I might go ahead and drop this. No damn point making him a jellyfish if he's going to be on land most of the time. It's just idiotic and should had used a bird or something if they wanted non human.

6. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    upload_2017-7-7_23-38-35.png

7. NovaCi

NovaCi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    some of the English in the translation for this novel is weird like this sentence. "This was the world where God, monsters and many nonscientific existences." it just cuts off.

8. Raphael

Raphael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was interested because it had Cthulhu on it's name, but then I saw the reviews and realize it's all bullshit. If I read this I should not expect anything related to Cthulhu except maybe a cameo. I though to myself is this really possible? Would a novel put something in it's name even if it's nearly unrelated? The answer I came up with is yes, Chinese and Japanese do this all the time, so I won't be bothering with it, even if by slight chance the big C was in there somewhere the story itself would not be, and from what I've seen lately in WMW, the Chinese aren't much for sticking close to source material, they tend to take some liberties and I am too much of a fan of the Cthulhu verse to read something which will most likely only frustrate me because of the liberties it takes.

9. piday

piday Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No idea why the translator decided to translate the title like this. The story and the original title has nothing to do with Cthulhu or Lovecraft mytho. The MC doesn't share any similarity to Cthulhu at all, in either appearance or actions: he is a green jellyfish for god's sake. The title 邪神旌旗 is more accurately translated to "Wicked God Gonfalon". 邪神 is tricky to translate to reflect the meaning, the second character 神 means god/deity, the first character 邪 can mean evil, but can also denote something that's not following the (social) norm which seems more like what the author intended (not quite sure how to translate that to English in a non-clunky way, but I have seen people translated 邪仙 to "Wicked Immortal" so I do that same for 邪神). 旌旗 Gonfalon is sort of like banner/flag, so one way to understand the title is "Wicked God waving a banner (to serve as an inspiration for others)", at least that's how I interpret it.

Onto the story itself, well, while this isn't the best novel from the author, it's better than the majority of the Chinese WN here IMO. The technical aspects of writing are great*: good flow, no plot holes, show don't tell. It has consistent world building and character development, not just for the main characters but also for the side characters (which there are a lot). Overall, it's a fun read, always put a smile on my face and gives a relaxing feel. Sort of like how "Release that Witch" makes me feel.

Another thing that distinguishes this story is that the MC (and a lot of the characters) is a genuine good person. I would gladly be friend with someone like the MC, while I would not want to be associated with someone like MC's from a vast majority of WN's. There is no protagonist-centerd morality bullshit. There is actually a meme among Chinese readers that this author is filled with "positive energy", such that all of his MC's are exemplary good samaritan, in stark contrast to the MC's of other WN's.

A warning though, if you don't like a story that spent a significant portion (at least 20%) on characters other than the MC, then this story is probably not for you.

* Obviously it's not up to the standards of published novels but that's what happen when you have to churn out a chapter a day with no editor to help editing. But it's still better than a lots of WN, not that it's a high bar to pass I know ;)

10. Serendipity

Serendipity No one, nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a pity the translation is so crappy for a novel with such potential.

11. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    fanobody likes this.