LCD Cultivation Chat Group

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by CloudySkySadMoon, Jun 18, 2016.

1. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
  2. A passing by old man

A passing by old man Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally think Nine serenities should be used because around 900 chapters later Shuhang encounters a similar world called the Ancient serenities which immediately reminds him of the Nine Serenities world

canaria23 likes this.
  3. GodBrandy

GodBrandy ❮Evil Shitposter❯

Reading List:
    Link
    I've always felt that people reading CCG's MTL were living in their own world and reading their own version of the novel, seems like it's true. :blobsleepless:
    Nine Serenities is just a literal (and dumb) translation of that term that makes no sense in the next context of this story, which is the most important thing to keep in mind. The author described that place as chaotic, evil, and filthy several times, and you want to call it 'Nine Serenities'? Do you even know what those words mean? This is what the word 'serenity' means: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/serenity
    Now, does it seem a suitable word for that place to you? It's not even about Chinese, it's about basic common sense.
    Complete screenshot of the conversation:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    “九幽”和"地狱"一样吗?数字9是重要的? 比如西方地狱里有九个圈子
    Is 九幽 the same as 'hell'? And is the number 9 important here? For example, there are 9 circles in the western version of hell.
    九幽……翻译为魔界之类会更适合。。和地狱关系不大。
    九幽... I feel it's better if you interpret it as the realm of the demons. It doesn't have that much of a relationship with hell, after all.
    九幽在小说的设定中,是:和现世相反的世界。。。反世界,反宇宙之类的都可以。
    In the setting of this novel, 九幽 is the opposite of the main world... you can consider it as an opposite realm or opposite universe.

So... mind telling me what's the big deal with this Nine Serenities stuff? Or how it's remotely relevant for the future of the story?

yeison and mrttao like this.
  4. Koslov

Koslov Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    See the post right above yours. And pretty much what I've been saying as well? Although, given the type of person you're proving yourself to be, you're likely just ignoring everything I'm saying anyway.

It's always sad to see TLs so extremely touchy and defensive of any sort of criticism, taking it as a personal attack. Everything was normal, and then you come strutting in, huffing and puffing, boasting all about how you've got such a great grasp of both English and Chinese and insulting me. Way to resort to ad hominem as your first and only option throughout this entire conversation so far. Not only do you lack any literary sense, you're also just terrible at presenting a believable and convincing front. Way to just be all around terrible to talk to. Hey, I could have been nice and this conversation could have proceeded reasonably? But you just had to go and shit over any possibility that that could have ever been because of your petty, little pride over what's barely anything at all.

5. Zones

Zones Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing you just said made any sense. But I'm not expecting much. Considering you're just here insulting people and demanding they shut up and leave you with the last word. Lets just leave it with us having a difference in how translations should be. I'll use an example for my source of argument.

In Douluo Dalu they refer to themselves as a numbered sibiling. Like third brother. In one of the manhwa translations instead of translating it they just wrote the chinese words using letters. I asked a question saying "Why wasn't this chapter fully translated?" and immediately got jumped on saying "It's a title!" and I said "But it doesn't make sense there is too much at once and I'm having difficulty telling who they are talking about" so got flamed again with things nicely stated as "If you can't learn it stop reading".

Because I felt that things should be localized.

I have a great deal of difficulty understanding mtl because of things like nine sereneties. Maybe to a chinese person it means something but to english speakers it doesn't. It is the duty of a translator to make sure their work is understandable if it isn't why aren't we all just trying to decipher mtl? Absolutely some aspects are of vital importance and they simply need to be explained to us. But in situations like this I don't understand why it should be translated to words that just don't make sense. Nine Serenities do not make sense as a place of filth, evil, and chaos. If I were reading the series and heard it called as such I would be extremely confused and probably comment "was that incorrectly translated?" Because even if an attempt was made to explain it the misassociation between those words would grate on me. He is even linking the conversation he had with the author basically saying the same things I'm saying here. How is that not convincing?

So how about little less "weebness" and a little more understanding of what the job of a translator is. But hey I'm sure you'll just call me a lackey again for having my own opinion on how things should be translated.

yeison, Inuzuka, mrttao and 3 others like this.
  6. SifaV6

SifaV6 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the key point that Koslov is trying to make here is that the current chosen English term for 九幽 (Netherworld) doesn't capture all the proper meanings. It is as the author himself has said, 九幽 in Chinese mythologies is meant to be a reflection of the heavens and similarly in this series it is the complete opposite of the real world.

The term "Netherworld" doesn't fully convey this message, people would think of it more as just a realm of the dead. However, I don't think there's any better English term that can be used to describe 九幽. It is as Zones has said, most people wouldn't know what Nine Serenities means in the first place and might get confused by the word "Serenity".

Sea Dog likes this.
  7. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if the snake will wind up joining the filming after Senior White wakes up, and if his fellow cave lords will be forced to join him ;)

8. Ambery

Ambery New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No problem
    Author directly told that it's realm of demons and don't have that much of relationship with hell.
    You went and named it with synonym of hell, place of dead.

You completely ignored part about 9 in name, even thought author did not negate it's importance. In novel there are references to Nine Heavens, and overall in chinese novels number 9 is important, even if it's only cosmetics.

You have created problem, because 九幽界 is Netherworld then 古幽界 is what?

In context of CCG, there are 3 religions, and this place is not netherworld of any of those religions.

Basically if you named the realm "Nine Nethers" which is sort of silly, but still uses number nine and carries meaning of "deepest world", nobody would bat an eyelid.
    Nine Serenities is silly too, but not against idea of author and context of ccg.

There you go, that's why Netherworld is problematic misinterpretation that goes against idea of author.

9. GodBrandy

GodBrandy ❮Evil Shitposter❯

Reading List:
    Link
    Triggered Xev making his way to NUF :hmm:

10. SifaV6

SifaV6 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm.... I just noticed the author himself says that 九幽 doesn't have much relation to hell and that it would be more suitable to translate it as demon realm or something similar along that line.

11. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    which isn't in any way supporting the "nine serenities" claim

also, godbreandy said the words used refer to "ungerground" or "netherworld". Not "hell"

12. SifaV6

SifaV6 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you read any of my posts, you would know I never supported for changing to nine serenities.

My post here was mostly wondering why the heck would the translator upload that image of his conversation with the author. The author specifically suggested for him to translate it as demon realm and also said that it doesn't have much association with hell/netherworld/realm of the dead. Mind you, the Chinese word for hell has closer similarity to netherworld than the christian Hell. Yet the translator still ended up doing whatever he wanted. It's an absolute slap to the author's face.

Sea Dog likes this.
  13. twinklecake

twinklecake Professional Freeloader

Reading List:
    Link
    >using dictionary definitions to argue about the accuracy of purple prose naming
    just why

mrttao likes this.
  14. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Rofl. I'll feel kinda sorry for the demons if they ever find out what's really going on ;)

That aside, I wonder how they plan to fill the alien's role for the later scenes now. Will they release the captured ones? If so, I wonder if they'll have enough. They're really not capturing very many.

justmehere likes this.
  15. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Somehow I have suspicions that our Mc ghost spirit has become venerable white due to some shid happening in the past.

16. MarkofWisdom

MarkofWisdom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder when/if the author will finally decide they've tortured Shuhang enough for this movie arc. He's already been through so much suffering just this arc, and the author keeps hammering more crap at him

17. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if Venerable White is Shuhang's ghost spirit in disguise. The odds seem low at the moment, but it would explain why Venerable White is so similar to Black Venerable White in spite of BVW's other self being definitely dead as well as explaining what he and the scholar did and why VW and Shuhang have similar luck. Plus, the timelines match up I think.

Lol. I wonder if she knows that he knows ;)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  18. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol. It would seem that Shuhang could teach Thrice Reckless a thing or two about seeking death ;)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    mrttao likes this.
  19. MarkofWisdom

MarkofWisdom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm curious as to what nega-white will do with shuhang-he *is* in a dream world right now where anything could be done with/to him and was taunting nega-white with the marriage proposal he got, so as a hilarious wild guess I wonder if nega-white will force Shuhang to experience marriage as a bride. Shuhang could have it as a traumatic bonding experience to share with Doudou once Yellow Mountain marries Doudou off to someone

20. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if Director Jacob will feel conflicted when accepting various awards for this movie, and who they'll list in the credits as having handled the special effects ;)