Discussion Cultural appreciation vs cultural appropriation

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by aintg, Jun 21, 2021.

1. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nah~ this cat investigation show it mainly change cuz USA media like to badmouthing about appropriation then da USA netizen also blablabla on internet~

so blame them to make fuss over NOTHING!

tbh this cat never meet such discussion about culture baka baka unless somehow meet USA netizen~ each region do have people who voice their dissatisfaction about other country use other culture element but that really minor if not rare~ there more who surprise or enthusiast if other know their culture tho~ USA netizen somehow really sound care about proper term on their conversation about culture or should this cat say western community on general?

tbh.....
    what da fuq happen there?

as asian who it continent too diverse this cat say~ ignore such thing~ put middle finger to it and enjoy da culture~

AliceShiki likes this.
  2. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes that would be cultural appreciation as long as you didn't change the traditional take on it.

Cultural appropriation is when they changed those cultural and traditional view to be more fitting(or politically correct) on their view. In example wakanda.

3. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One thing to also take note of is how sensitive a costume can be. And the damnable thing about it is that the "sensitivity" can vary by situation. For example, if I dressed up as an ancient Chinese with a queue, I doubt anyone will consider it an insult, thinking I'm going to a costume party or being really, really retro since I doubt the Chinese still have hard feelings about the Manchu government at this late date. On the other hand, if I turned up in blackface, that is a serious faux pas since there is a stigma to it in America which I'm not sure Easterners get since they did not have the same civil rights problems as the US did.

So, context matters as well.

aShinyVaporeon, AliceShiki and imK like this.
  4. Deleted member 363076

Deleted member 363076 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    There are the fanatics and then there are the liberals and radicals—what to do?
    better to play 2D dressing games:blob_grin:

imK likes this.
  5. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

As my YT user name that uses my real name said: 'The explanations given by the guy in the black shirt on/off from 2:16 mark to around to 3:05 is perhaps the best explanation I have seen on when to and not to do in regards to cultural appropriations."

Now, if an SJW is going to condemn a White person for dressing up as a Navajo for Halloween, depending on how the costume is done, that same SJW should condemn people for appropriating stuff that started from "White cultures".

To echo off of @Nightow1, something like Blackface is a huge no-no. I can actually side with those crying foul to that!