Discussion Culture

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cynge42, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Cynge42

Cynge42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Question 1: When a person (I think I've read that it is mostly in China, but it could be other countries) goes to the hospital do they really need someone there from their family or friends to care for them? Bring them food?

Question 2: What do the nurses and dietitians do for them? Or are there nurses and dietitians to care for the patient?

Question 3: What is the deal with warm water being offered to drink? Or even hot water sometimes?

I have no less than 5 ice cubes in my water at all times. Warm water upsets my stomach.

Standard question: Light novel thing or actually takes place in real life?

imK likes this.
  2. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1&2: while I'm not an expert, I'd say that either the option to be served a meal while in a hospital costs extra, so most people prefer to have their family/friends bring food to them, or it is because the options in the hospital are limited, so they have to get their favorite food from outside.

Cynge42 likes this.
  3. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Almost the entirety of China had parasites in their water system (tap worms), so people had to boil the water before drinking it. Now years later, they ended being used to the taste/feel of drinking warm water so they continue to do so.

Hacalyhd is right, but food from hospitals tend to be mass produced in factories and don't exactly hold fame of being healthy or even up to standards sometimes. Thats just in the west, now imagine the food in China where food poisoning is an everyday occurence. The goverment literally executed people for poisoning baby formula and yet they keep doing it.

They do care but without the goverments funding they can't really do anything.

While cold water isn't really bad for you if you don't have a particularly weak stomach, warm water is definitely better for you if you are sick.

https://www.healthline.com/health/is-drinking-cold-water-bad-for-you#risks

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  4. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Hospital foods are simply awful. You would opt to die early eating them every day.

5. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    Drink warm water every day and you'll understand the liking to it. I didn't even know it was a Chinese thing.
    P.S: Chinese hospitals where horrible to begin with sadly. There's no privacy or proper hygene when giving birth. You have to bride the hospital for a proper doctor.

Perhaps the corona virus was inenvitable :/.
    There was a chinese doctor that predicted it few years ago too...

Martialegg and Cynge42 like this.
  6. Cynge42

Reading List:
    Link

Are you saying they poison people on purpose? Was the baby formula on purpose too?

7. Cynge42

Reading List:
    Link
    The warm water thing is interesting. I'm going to have to work towards that.

8. ExcitableFoci

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes and no. The chinese goverment is many things, but stupid and incompetent they are not. Greedy businessmen used toxic materials behind the goverment/food ministry's back to save a bit of money and affected hundreds of thousands of babies, the goverment fucked them all up but the damage was already done.

As for the water, it was not poisoned, China was raped quite hard during WWII, they didn't have the manpower nor the money to build/mantain good quality water distribution systems. Tape worms are just a byproduct of it. Im sure its still a problem in 3rd world countries. My cousin himself got a 10 cm one from drinking from a creek.

Martialegg, imK and Cynge42 like this.
  9. Cynge42

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really remember China being mentioned or even in WWII. Now I need to go study that too.

10. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a pharm tech so I can prob help answer these questions.

Question 1: When a person (I think I've read that it is mostly in China, but it could be other countries) goes to the hospital do they really need someone there from their family or friends to care for them? Bring them food?
    -Yea, most patients are asked to have a loved one or someone close to them show up is because we dont want you to have a panic attack from being in a hospital alone, making sure your comfortable, and to sue someone just in case you do some dumb shit.

Question 2: What do the nurses and dietitians do for them? Or are there nurses and dietitians to care for the patient?
    -This ones a hard one cause it differs from patient. Some doctors and nurses work on a lot of patients at once but if youre rich enough you can basically get a whole team to yourself. Some places would prefer if certain teams work on certain cases because theyre more familiar with that case.

Question 3: What is the deal with warm water being offered to drink? Or even hot water sometimes?
    -Its a big brain thing but here we go. Warm water tends to warm the body which in turn increases the metabolic rate (the rate at which you're body consumes calories and shit).It also helps you poo cause your intestines arent usually really warm so the process of your body heating up heats up your poo which leads to it coming out smoother. Also, warm water is really helpful if you have a stomach ache cause cold water hitting a body that already has problems will lead to more problems. If warm water gives you a stomach ache then your either experiencing you're body heating up (which means youre really unhealthy cause if you core is cold then you just fucking die...jk...unless) or you have a rip in your intestines and your bodies saying "AYE YO BRO CHILL THE FUCK DOWN!!".

imK, Zettai Ryouiki and Cynge42 like this.
  11. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For the visits, I can shed some light on that. Not from China but my father had the dubious pleasure of breaking his leg once. He ended up in hospital and one thing we all noticed then was .... IT WAS MIND NUMBINGLY BORING!!!! You're in a room and you can watch TV, with all the low quality afternoon drama that implies, read books you already read or stare at the 4 walls. It's like prison. My father ended up car watching from the window to pass the time, but basically, until you get discharged, you're just spinning your wheels.

Family visits give them a break from the monotony and at least gives them someone to talk to before they go stir crazy.

Nurses are there to aid the patients in daily tasks they can't handle and to administer medication but to be really honest, most hospital stays are just there for the doctor to monitor you or to make you rest or keep you close to healthcare equipment that is not portable. You don't really do much in a hospital and the nurses are there to help you either take medicine or do things you have trouble doing, like walking to the toilet on a broken leg. Bedpan anyone?

mir, imK and Cynge42 like this.
  12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm that interesting
    UN Security Permanent member are USA, France, UK, Russia Federation(previously USSR) and China~ those five considered as winner from ww2~ yeah on asia front China involve on ww 2~ well before Japan begun asia invasion it started frim China~ ww 2 have some frontlines~ Africa, Europe, Asia and Pacific~ each have different start and end point time~ usualy Europe and Pacific is famous one with Germany Berlin fall and Japan surrender~

Cynge42 likes this.
  13. Yamcha

Yamcha Friendnemy

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the place, on the country I live hospitals usually doesn't allow food from outside. Also, drinks go always with ice? The optimal temperature for ingested water is body temperature.

imK and Cynge42 like this.
  14. Cynge42

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sorry, I shouldn't have posted that until my migraine went away. I'm in pain, and brain foggy, and drugged up. I didn't even remember today was Valentine's Day.

What you posted sounds familiar. I will look into when my head gives me a break.

15. Cynge42

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow. Ok. I am definitely going to work on drinking warm water. Yeah, I'm not healthy. I have weird, rare stuff going on, but I am willing to try anything to make my intestines work better and speed up my metabolism.
    Thank you for your answers! You remind me of my medical family, super blunt. Just tells it like it is.

Mnotia and imK like this.
  16. ExcitableFoci

Reading List:
    Link
    This starts playing on the background...

Jokes aside, I hope you get better.

Cynge42 likes this.
  17. Cynge42

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, thanks. That music was pretty!

18. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    . . ..... Drink herbal tea!
    It's warm water with a little bit of nutrients, tastes good, and depending on the herb, can help you feel better.
    I dunno what's wrong with you, but camomile is soothing and can't hurt.
    Cinnamon is good for your lungs/throat.
    Ginger is good for speeding up metabolism and making you produce more body heat.
    Mint is just... It's just so tasty. I forget what it does.
    Just stay away from black tea, too much caffeine.
    If you want it to be really 'medicinal'... add a whole bulb of garlic in the pot.
    Garlic, cinnamon, ginger, lime, honey and cornstarch. :hmm: I dunno what it does, but I've seen my aunt's make it to drink.

Might be best to only try camomile and mint if your stomach is sensitive.

Almost forgot the main topic.
    The reason family must go stay with the sick person at the hospital is of course to make sure their needs are taken care of. Nurses and doctors are too busy, have many patients, and a thousand things to do, and important decisions to make.
    More often than not, they won't remember that patient #242 asked for a blanket three times since an hour ago. And sometimes a nurse gets confused and tries to give the patient the wrong medicine. Or the patient is too sick to understand the doctors' explanation and needs someone else who knows their personality and wishes to help them make a decision. Or the patients throat is dry and is too weak to call a nurse over to ask for water. Or the hospital delivered the wrong food and the patient can't eat it and needs help getting something else.
    (I lived off of apple juice for a few days because they kept delivering beef meals to someone with a tongue full of stitches and the only thing I could have was the juice. After finding out they gave me some broth too, but by that time apple juice and IV had become my savior :aww: For many years after, apple juice with a straw directly to the back of my mouth, almost straight to the throat, was a comfort food of mine. And I get weirdly happy when I get an IV.)

Unless you are rich enough that you can't be ignored, you need family to look out for you when you are in a fragile state.

asriu and Cynge42 like this.
  19. Cynge42

Reading List:
    Link
    @mir I am sorry conditions are like this. I am definitely going to be more appreciative of our hospital staff.. even if they ignore me for an hour.

Also, thanks for the tip on the tea. I had an arguement with mint tea when I was younger.. and I lost. I do like other flavors of tea though.

20. Cynge42

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know if I should start a new thread or stay, so I'll stay for now..

Question:
    On Weibo I've seen in books mention people buying gifts for their favorite star of a live streamed show.

In the CEO's Villainess Childhood Friend the fengshui master tries to buy a big enough gift to get on the show to meet the MC.

What are these gifts? Do they just represent the amount of money donated? Are they actually presents given to the MC or show? Is this a real thing going on today?