Question Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by GodxOfxDeath, Nov 25, 2016.

1. GodxOfxDeath

GodxOfxDeath Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Come on those who read Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan tell me is it worth reading and why or why not
    If there's some spoiler remember to ads the spoiler tag

2. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, is worth, better that a lot of the most high-rated novels here on NU.

it may be a little boring at the beginning, but gets exciting soon, if you can finish the first volume, most likely you will want to keep reading it till the end. There is two likable mcs with personality totally different.

one thing that I dislike about it is
    as of now, I can count with one hand the ppl the mcs managed to kill... they fought with a great number of ppl tho.

it is said to be based on historical records, but I dont know nor do I want to know if it follows history.

3. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    not sure how much similarity between the novel and manhua, however, i have complete physical book collection of the manhua adaptation, and it was one of my all-time favorite. it is a rare story with 2 main protagonist (+1 more that almost can be considered main mc). the plot were divided almost evenly, which is also very rare, but its Huang Yi's, so you can expect complicated plot, as well as almost unpredictable final heroine ;)

just like his other stories, the mcs were supposedly related to historical event/characters. treat them as 'hidden side story of history'. fictional of course.

unlike ASITP, no netorare in this one, although has netori.

4. jkmessah

jkmessah WoC, GoR and TGS enthusiast!

Reading List:
    Link
    I had my doubts starting this as well, but I recently caught up with it. It's a great read. Both the characters get equal amount of time on screen and you can see their growth. They are usually always together and were quite similar at the start, but soon you can see how they are two unique individuals with differing goals. The brotherhood is so deep in this novel, it's very refreshing.

It is a slow burner and if you aren't entirely familiar with Chinese history, specifically before the Tang dynasty, it may get a bit confusing. Sometimes I don't always keep up on where the political intrigue happens all the time but it doesn't take away from the story. There are real historical figures there, like Li Shimin, Li Yuan and so far I think it follows history. So it's probably a million times more interesting if you actually know history.

The women! Lots of women! Pretty women, strong women, cunning women, city toppling beauties. But they each have their distinct personality and are not sex dolls! YAY! They have their own stories and while some of them are really jerks, at least they ain't cardboard cutouts. Our boys go from the weakest, to strong in a believable pace. Each character has a story, a purpose. So despite the amount of names to remember, just a quick reminder is enough to remind you on their identity.

Tl:dr just give it a shot, worth a try, just get through the first 2 volumes and it gets much, much, much better!

5. baki9933

baki9933 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah its very good novel but also is very long. 1/4 of the story is translated up until now and, i calculated this novel will need 7 more years to be fully translated (if translator don't drop it).... Cliffhanger is very big since i can't find the raws..

6. forgotusername

forgotusername Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a HK drama on it. I watch it (way before I read novel or know about xianxia/wuxia), but I liked it haha. Can give that a go too, not sure how accurate it is.