Danmei/BL/Yaoi raw novels recomendations

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by alexfilia, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. alexfilia

alexfilia Bromance & Fluff <3

Reading List:
    Link
    do either of mc's or the ml's mom play a role in the story?

2. lalalyly

lalalyly Digging translating pits and jumping into them.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, MC's mom is starting a new career, but she is a big part of his support. ML's mom... we see how controlling and biased against ml she is. I have a bad feeling about her.

alexfilia likes this.
  3. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Some one please translate this.... I... I can't let myself NOT read this T_T
    I'm sick of half assed American angst I find on wattpad (okay there are some masterpieces on there but most of them are pretty much that.)

alexfilia and scriptor like this.
  4. alexfilia

Reading List:
    Link
    i made a spoiler thread for this ^^ :D ...and i have some similar awesome suggestions if you are intrested

5. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Since I'm a serial lurker on the danmei threads, thought I'd contribute something. Here's my rec:

Rebirth of the Hedonist

The title is more like Rebirth of the [Useless Hedonistic son of rich parents]. I love untranslatable Chinese terms... This is by the same author as True Star and Rebirth of Chen An, but I actually liked this novel best. It's a reverse harem
    and he kinda ends up with three guys, but he's officially with one guy.
    The MC is 35 years old, who's made a bunch of mistakes in his life due to being super spoilt and rich. He's been in prison because of running over a person in his car (edit: I think I got it wrong. It was some sort of incident, but I'm not sure a car was involved after all. I don't even remember if anyone died lol. Shit memory.), his family has gone broke in the meantime. After getting out of prison, he lived with ML1, who's a rich playboy, being financially supported by him for a few years. So, like a sugarbaby/mistress. He had dreams of a singing career, but that has gone down the drain. He ends up working some small-time job that I can't really recall and he feels depressed daily. So, his life is pretty dark at this point in time. Then he gets run over in an accident
    by ML2
    and gets 'reborn' 20 years in the past, back when things started turning shitty for him - when he first ran over a person and before going to prison (which was another accident later on in his life, he had a record). So he starts changing his fate.

The reason I loved this novel so much is very spoilerish, so, a giant spoiler from here on:
    He meets ML1 by chance in he hospital and makes an impression on him. Then he goes to military school(if I remember right) and surprisingly, ML1 follows him there, though he used to study abroad in the first timeline. They become good friends and the ML1 starts obsessing over him, but it doesn't lead to a relationship. The MC feels weird that they used to bone in timeline 1 and all. MC also meets ML2 in school and they become friends. ML2 develops a thing for the MC (gets a boner while glimpsing him in the shower), then starts courting him, and they later on get in a relationship. ML2 also has another friend, who plays a role later. So the MC uses his second chance in timeline 2 to start a singing career - he gets singing lessons, music theory, composing, etc. Anything that has to do with music, he's learning greedily. Then he starts getting dreams about timeline 1 - him being in a coma in a hospital bed and listening to ML2 talking to him as he visit him there. He also remembers that the car that hit him (he saved a child that had run in front of the car) was the same as the car that ML2 owns in timeline 2. MC gets super scared that timeline 2 is just a coma dream and he's not actually accomplishing anything and this happiness is fake. He gets a breakdown and ML2 (who's his roommate in the dorms by then) consoles him and tells him to just treat those dreams as nightmares and concentrate on their happiness here. Just take it a day at a time. So the MC adopts this mindset.

End volume 1, enter volume 2. He wakes up from his coma in the hospital. He's back to his shitty life, being 35 and having accomplished nothing. The depression was real. Even I felt depressed for him and cried. And this is why I f*cking adore this novel. Major spoilers ahead, so I'm nesting it in another spoiler tag...
    So apparently in timeline 2, he still died young - 20ish or something. Things wnet downhill there too. He was a successful singer, but ML2's friend had a thing for ML2, so he set him up, got him drunk and slept with him, and that lead to MC and ML2 breaking up. Because MC had warned ML2 of the friend's feelings, but ML2 still maintained the friend even after shit went down. So MC decided that it wasn't worth it being with a man who was that indecisive. After that, ML1 conforted him and they start going out. But ML1's family is super rich and famous, and ML1's dad is this cruel psycho who won't let his son turn out gay. So he hires some goons to throw the MC from a tall building, making it look like a suicide. That's how MC dies and wakes up in timeline1.

After he gets over the realization that he's back to shit life, he decides to pull himself together and go after his music dream regardless. He establishes a sorta friendship with ML2 and signs into his entertainment company. All the skills he had acquired in timeline 2 come in handy, so there's the suggestion that timeline 2 wasn't just a dream but an actual life in an alternate universe. Anyway, he goes to a singing show first, where he's the oldest contestant but he impresses everyone and so on. The author didn't really concentrate on that part. It was more about personal and mental development etc. ML2 has a thing for MC, but MC has learned his lesson and avoids a relationship. He ends up meeting ML1 again, who's the player/asshole version of timeline 1 where they never went to school together. But ML1 (who's evil dad is dead by then) still remembers 'his pet' and kinda forces himself back in MC's life. MC was exasperated at that point, so he decided to give him a second (third?) chance. I think he genuinely loved ML1.
    ML1 is an asshole though, so even though he drops his other sexfriends for the MC, he's still planning on getting married for the sake of his family, so he gets engaged (or planning to? can't remember) to some lady while he was abroad, and the MC sees that in the newspapers. ML1 didn't even bother telling MC, since he intended to keep their relationship going regardless. But the MC very quickly drops him. Of course, the shitty ML1 can't let him go so easily, so he verbally abuses him (he was already verbally abusive throughout their relationship but he gets worse), and I read my favorite MC quote of all times right there: (I'm paraphrasing) Just because I've made mistakes in my life doesn't mean I have to pay for them my whole life. I've already done my time, I don't have to lead a shitty life forever. Everyone deserves the chance to start over and be happy. <-- Something along those lines. It was beautiful. And it shut up ML1. But wait, ML1 is not done being an asshole. He sets up MC in a really dangerous situation that could've gotten him mob raped (don't ask, it makes sense in the story) while he watches from up above. Still, ML1 can't see it through and ends up coming to MC's rescue. But MC is so done with him by then. So he goes 'bye, bitch' and moves on. Then he finds out that this set-up was impossible without the help of his agency, where the jealous ML2's friend helped ML1's scheme.
    MC ends up quitting ML2's agency due to ML2's friend (who's a partner in the enterprise) constantly working against him. So he tells ML2 he can't stay with a company that works against his interests. ML2 is feeling guilty, so he makes the whole quitting beneficial to the MC. At this point both ML1 and ML2 are crazy for him, but they've lost their chances. I really can't remember whether MC had a fling with ML2 or not. I read this a year or more ago... Edit: I remembered. After breaking up with ML1, he started tentatively going out with ML2, which led to ML1 and ML2's friend getting jealous and leading up to that set-up. ML2 still maintained his friend afterwards, and MC discovers that ML2 was actually aware of the friend doing everything to hinder MC's career, but didn't do anything about it, because he his friend and he can take care of the MC financially even if the career doesn't work out. Basically the same problem MC faced with ML2 in timeline 2. So MC dumps him.

So, enter ML3. I think MC met him while still dating ML1, but they're obviously just friends at that point. So ML3 was actually in prison together with MC. He's younger that MC by a few years, but he's this very stable and sturdy dude, so he helped MC survive prison without a scratch. MC relies on him and trusts him a lot. Apparently, ML3 went to prison for someone else's crime in return for cash. His family (one younger brother) was in dire straits, so he uses this chance to improve their condition. He's smart, so he used that money to set up a business and rise in the social ladder after getting out of prison. His one regret was not getting MC's contact while he had the chance, so he's very happy when they reunite by chance. He's super sweet and STABLE. He's like an anchor in a stormy sea, such a soothing character. He takes things suuuuuuper slow with the MC, even though even his younger bro knows he wants that booty. Anyway, he helps MC a lot by giving him opportunities to meet important people to further MC's career. However, MC is doing all the work to actually rise in fame and status. He does become a recognized musician. And when everything's right in his life, he finally starts dating ML3.

In the meantime, ML2 gets his shit together and drops that friend of his, then tries to get back together with MC, but MC is like 'no, thanks'. ML1 also changes when he realizes he's lost MC for good. He drops that fiancee, and starts chasing MC around, especially when MC has to travel abroad for work. MC is kinda over them, but kinda still loves both of them as they're important parts of his life. But his loyalty and love for ML3 prevents him on acting on his past feelings. BUt ML1 and ML2 just don't give up. There was some drunk sex (MC was drunk, but he knew what was going on) at some point.
    Anyway, ML3 is too understanding and can see that MC treasures those two guys. And he has his own feelings of guilt for the MC (cause he's a sweetheart, he doesn't have anything to feel guilty about). So he regularly invites ML1 and ML2 to his house (he helped MC buy a villa next to his, but I think they moved in together later) and befriends them. ML1 and ML2 also know they can only rely on ML3 to get to meet the MC, cause MC wouldn't give them a chance otherwise. So it's kinda openended, but it's heavily suggested that they'll develop a foursome relationship. That MC is so blessed.
    Phew, that took me a while. Anyway, my fav danmei novel ever. If you read the spoiler, you'll know why. It really sent me on an emotional roller coaster, but in a good way. It was different and inspirational. I'd love to see it translated... I read it all in 3 days and I barely did anything else during that time. Even forgot to eat. It was damn good.
    As you see, the rebirth is metaphorical. The MC changes his mindset and strives on. It also shows that if you get another chance, it won't necessarily end up being better than first chance. So you have to treasure what you got and make the most of it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Blood A, Kaylee, Arexio and 13 others like this.
  6. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds good, but I can't help but feel guilty for the ml3. He sounds like a really sweet guy. I mean, I really like three/foursome, but some story are more suitable for one true pairing

Blood A, Ease, Misaki Yata and 2 others like this.
  7. ludagad

Reading List:
    Link
    He's as sweet as a puppies and vanilla. The MC is absolutely devoted to him. But he still carries those feelings from timeline 2 when he loved ML2 and ML1 very strongly. ML3 could've ignored that and MC would've been fine with it. But it seems that ML3 himself has some insecurities, so he feels better about keeping his rivals close? I dunno, he's just really kind, gentle and selfless. I love him to bits. ML1 and ML2 have their own redeeming qualities, though they sound like assholes in timeline 1 lol. MC also talked to ML3 about his dream/alternate life first, which is why ML3 was more aware of the other two guys. The novel's worth reading :DD.

Blood A, Misaki Yata, Lint and 3 others like this.
  8. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Borrowing terms from Chinese historical novel where the husband have a harem his legal wife manages, ML3 is such a virtuous 'wife', finding concubines for his 'husband' harem :X3:

9. ludagad

Reading List:
    Link
    Hah, he totally fits that description. Even ML1 and 2 don't dare contend with him, they know they stand no chance.

Luen, alexfilia and LaDyViL like this.
  10. alexfilia

Reading List:
    Link
    any cute moments between the mc and ml3? :X3:

11. ludagad

Reading List:
    Link
    I read this a year or so ago. Only the basic outline is left in my head lol. I remember ML3 was very protective of the MC and wanted the best for him. All the characters are present in the story, there's plenty of interaction, you just gotta read it for the details xD;;. Sorry I can't be of more help, my memory selectively throws out information once I'm done with it...

Blood A, kiara8 and alexfilia like this.
  12. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    If anyone is still reading, are there any more good Xianxia BL stories?

kiara8 and alexfilia like this.
  13. alexfilia

Reading List:
    Link
  14. alexfilia

Reading List:
    Link
    @K.san i'm moving the convo here so we wont spam the founder with other novel's spoilers...i hope its ok :D

So all the author's novels are getting an anime o.o

Seven Sins of Protagonists ,Er Ling Yi San and Di Wang Gong Lue must be really good!

pokes @scriptor @LaDyViL @winter-t @kiara8 more danmei recs!

15. K.san

K.san take me back to 2017

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read them yet because they aren't too popular in China, but they are the types of novels that the community here would like I think... I hope that someone picks them up before the anime are released XD.

LaDyViL and alexfilia like this.
  16. alexfilia

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a feeling they would get picked up after the anime gets releashed :D

17. thrynki

thrynki Epi's Kouhai

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Scum Villain is already being translated with ~16 chapters, unless I confused a name haha

18. K.san

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, Scum Villain is already being translated. Not Heavenly Blessings, though...

19. alexfilia

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope heavenly blessing gets Tled soon too *.*

K.san likes this.
  20. K.san

Reading List:
    Link
    At least Scum Villain and FoDC are already there XD looking forward to 2018 so much.

alexfilia likes this.