Darwin's Theory

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Keon, Jan 25, 2016.

1. NinetH

NinetH Demon Yuri lord....lazy guy

Reading List:
    Link
    before humans get to evolve into an another kind of something, we are going to destroy ourselves first

2. Fordask

Fordask I feel like having a Bacon Pizza

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes (Well most likely. Nothing rules out a second a second or third 'coincidental' organism.) However I only mentioned using different starter decks and getting different resulting decks because of how how a deck optimizer typically is written (Only exploring one branch to its end because branching out would consume to many resources for the program to finish in a timely manner. You will understand if you read bellow. A double nested list simulating 100,000 matches and exploring all branches is just plain ridiculous in how many calculations have to be made). An optimizer that explores multiple branches is described in the 3rd block of text. This type of optimizer is a better example of my point that incremental optimization doesn't lead to convergence. I probably should have focused on this branching optimizer instead of the conventional deck optimizer (The one you see in day to day life) so as to not cause any confusion.

Ill try to be a bit more clear. this time.

Natural selection is a type of optimization function.It optimizes for the ability of a species to survive (Not as an individual but as a species) and reproduce. Not its intelligence, physical fitness, or any other thing (And most defiantly not how humanoid it is). While some of these things increase the odd of surviving till reproduction they are not the primary goal. From this standpoint being more intelligent or humanlike does not make one species more evolutionary successful than another species.

Bacteria are just about as stupid and as far from humans you can get and and are arguably one of the most successful creature on the planet. Not just from a population standpoint but from the fact that I dont see them dying out anytime soon. Humans would have to die before bacteria. There are a variety of bacteria coexisting in and on your body(More than the cells in your body). They preform important functions like the creation of certain vitamins, neurotransmitters, and are a central part of our immune and digestive systems. And this is only one of the many habitats in which bacteria have created a place for themselves. Im kinda cheating here since there are countless bacteria species. But im just trying to say that you dont have to be human-like to be successful. Every species has its on niche.

Secondly, rather than a tendency for species to converge to an "optimal" state they will tend to branch out in form and function.Since evolution can be a bit complicated it can be beneficial to look at a more simplistic optimization function.

Imagine a deck optimizer:
    You start with three inputs a starter deck (The first living organism), a collection of decks that are currently popular (The environment in witch your deck/organism is going to exist in), and the available cards to use (Possible traits that can be expressed by the deck/organism). From there you run 100,000 simulation matches (The game of life) against the collection of decks to produce a win rate. The next step is to loop through each card in the deck and replace it with another from the available card collection (Yes you are going to loop through all of these available cards as well with a nested loop) and calculate this new decks win rate. Any deck that has a higher winrate than the prior generation are decks/organisms that have been able to "successfully" evolve from the prior deck and have branched out. You then take then repeat the same steps for the "successful" decks and then repeat for 3rd, 4th, 5th... nth generation (Yes this is a recursive function). If you graphed this process you would end up having an evolutionary tree with lots of nice branching and diversity. If you paid even more attention you would see some basic classifications of the decks especially if you focused on decks near the end of chains (Since the environment aka sample decks dont change chains end up ending.) Some decks would specialize in cards with low delays to quickly overwhelm the opponent. Some decks would focus on action cards to delay the opponent while slower cards lower their countdown. Some decks would focus on direct damage. Some decks would focus on structures. These decks preform specific and varying strategy's which ensure their survival.

Of course a deck optimizer isn't biological evolution however there are parallels to be drawn and it can be used to see some of the traits of evolution.

And ...... yeah I guess I play alot of card games. I dont now why I decided to use this as an example.

Im sorry. I dont entirely understand the question. Why would everything become a plant? And are you trying to say the terrain and climate hundreds of millions of years ago was the same as modern times?
    Imagine you are really really bad at darts. Even thought your chances of hitting a bullseye astronomically small as long as you get enough attempts you will eventually hit a bullseye (Well an infinite amount of attempts would be needed to make a guarantee). Pair up the countless planets with all the time in the world and you have quite a few attempts that can be made.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  3. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank me m8
    untitled.png

Shio, Poor_Hero and Fordask like this.
  4. Fordask

Fordask I feel like having a Bacon Pizza

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a weird thought thats somewhat related to this topic.

So I was playing a game that was called "Punt Twilly" or something like that. In this game there is an adorable little fluffball creature which you kick with certain angle and force across a field with obstacles in an attempt to land in a goal. If you play this game long enough you you will run into a situation in witch Twilly will bouncing around in a never-ending cycle (Yes there is no friction or air resistance and collisions are perfectly elastic). If you started 1000 different "Punt Twilly" games and graphed the number of Twilly's in a cycle over time you would see a positive trend. This is the trend for things to become cyclical or arrange themselves in a way that continues there existence. The difference between life and a looping twilly is that living things are able to detect changes in the surrounding environment that threaten their cycle and respond to these changes. Its a cycle with built in countermeasures to anything that threatens its existence. Unfortunately the would isnt a sandbox in witch you are immune to outside forces. Imagine if something came along and exerted a force on twilly. Twilly would then exit the cycle. And the cycle would be dead. Thats why sycle have to end up developing systems to respond to the environment.

A singular event happens once
    An event which sets itself (A cycle) up runs for awhile.
    A cycle which can respond to outside stimulus runs even longer.
    A cycle that can can respond to outside stimulus and multiply will have a much longer total run time.
    And well thats life. A complicated cycle designed to protect itself and multiply increasing your chance of running into it.
    Well kinda sorta not really.

5. Deep

Deep NO TITLE

Reading List:
    Link