Dealing With Criticism

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Rival, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Yolo Swag

Yolo Swag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer any kind of criticism than silence. brings me a nice little smile, that something i wrote was worth a comment. on the other hand, its very disheartening when i see ignorance being glorified, on those 'haters gonna hate' responses.
    also, i think the comment section is more for discussion among readers, than direct messages to the author. the few comments i made on a novel chapter, were about sharing my thoughts on that episode with other readers.

2. Aserty

Aserty New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yes, it is a problem

3. XiaoWenTian

XiaoWenTian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, as a translator, I have had a novel I translate being criticized.
    Their problem: Their lack of reading comprehension! They keep asking and moaning and complaining about these and that, when they're at faulty! The author eventually explained stuff, why the hell would a poor female college students at Zombie Apocalypse suddenly have a lot of money to buy stuff and weapons, and she was only rebirth 12 hours before Apocalypse!? And she can't drive, but is expected to be able to drive a car just like the usual ZA stories!? And the fact that MC is too ruthless she killed someone who begged for her help (well, death is a release)...
    If they want the stories to go to their own imagination, just write it yourself! I'm only translating!
    /rant end

One of the few novels I translate had the reading level of college students, so I got the novel criticized here, saying that my translation is poor- well I agree I didn't edit it well, and I'm not a native English speaker, but still!
    Still!
    Still!!!
    Your target audience matters
    Me, I'll suggest to just ignore them or if you are patient enough, explain to them without spoiling the stories.